Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a headstock spindle

here are a few homemade bowl lathes I have seen. Not in person jsut what people have posted over the years. Might help you quantify what you want.

I don't know how versed in lathes you are but there is a company that makes pretty much exactly what your looking for. Last picture is of the vega bowl lathe. Just a thought.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/2400%20Bowl%20Lathe.html

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    the old PM 90's are 1"x8tpi, IIRC.
    The PM90 is 1 1/2" dia X 8tpi spindle. You may be thinking of the PM45 which had a 1" X 8tpi spindle, the same as the Delta HD lathes.

Mike

Some great ideas so far!!

It looks I'm not the only one who like the pillow block bearings idea. Looks like it works ok.

I like the vega bowl lathe. But for 3 grand I could build more machine.

My arbitrary budget for parts is a grand. Otherwise I will just get a Jet 1642.

Try Surplus center .com for bearings motors and other stuff you will need.
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...ame=powerTrans
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kilburn View Post
    Try Surplus center .com for bearings motors and other stuff you will need.
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...ame=powerTrans

Thanks Ed. i just had this open in another window:

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/se...-Flange/Detail

Almost identical... lol

Have you given any thought to making the head stock from concrete?? You could embed some steel plate with a through hole and attach your tapered bearing to the embedded plates with four grade eight bolts and lock washers. The ways could be a couple of W6X25# I-beams, weld on some 1/2" plate for a flange and attached to the solid concrete head with heavy duty concrete anchors, I think at least eight points of attachment using 5/8" anchors. Then you would want to get the ways flat decked and the gap between them machined for accurate spacing. Concrete isn't going to be mobile, but it has excellent mass for dampening vibration and can be formed to any shape. with out a bunch of welding and grinding...That is what I have been planning on for the last three years anyway... Have fun and think this over carefully, as others have mentioned there are incredible forces at play...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis R. Nelson View Post
    Have you given any thought to making the head stock from concrete?? You could embed some steel plate with a through hole and attach your tapered bearing to the embedded plates with four grade eight bolts and lock washers. The ways could be a couple of W6X25# I-beams, weld on some 1/2" plate for a flange and attached to the solid concrete head with heavy duty concrete anchors, I think at least eight points of attachment using 5/8" anchors. Then you would want to get the ways flat decked and the gap between them machined for accurate spacing. Concrete isn't going to be mobile, but it has excellent mass for dampening vibration and can be formed to any shape. with out a bunch of welding and grinding...That is what I have been planning on for the last three years anyway... Have fun and think this over carefully, as others have mentioned there are incredible forces at play...
    Not till now...Hmmm a big concrete monolith with a rotating headstock...interesting...

Mark,

Here is an example of a home built lathe with a concrete headstock, just like you are planning and Fred is a professional bowl turner. Check it out at www.fredwilliamson.com his web site shown the lathe and also gives his phone number and E-mail Good luck, I can't wait to see what you are going to do and please pictures.

Dave

Here is my Rube Goldberg setup for big stuff. I can turn 32" curved mouldings and bowls. No tailstock and a 12" x 1" steel faceplate.

Photo didn't load.

Can't get the picture - look on my 'members and their lathes' post.

Now that is inspirational Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ogren View Post
    Mark,

Here is an example of a home built lathe with a concrete headstock, just like you are planning and Fred is a professional bowl turner. Check it out at www.fredwilliamson.com his web site shown the lathe and also gives his phone number and E-mail Good luck, I can't wait to see what you are going to do and please pictures.

Dave
    I just spent an hour checking out all Freds work and his lathe. I guess a bowl lathe can be made very simply. One thing I have learned is ballast is important!
    I have experience with concrete....At first I was like 'yeah right' but apparently it makes for a good foundation...Now I am re-thinking my build.

I'll go look for yours Paul. Thanks for posting.

Fred is a friend of mine, and the one I was referring to in my post!! He is a really nice guy, and his lathe is pretty amazing. It is SOLID. I don't know the true max. swing of it, but I've seen bowls he's done that are about 24" in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Fred is a friend of mine, and the one I was referring to in my post!! He is a really nice guy, and his lathe is pretty amazing. It is SOLID. I don't know the true max. swing of it, but I've seen bowls he's done that are about 24" in diameter.
    Fred does some nice work Nathan!
    I'm looking at the concrete option. It would certainly have the needed ballast. I'm eyeballing some 8" water main pipe that could work if filled with concrete...HHhmmmm

I'll stop by a local steel supplier and see what they have in the way of 2" solid round stock to start with. Have it turned to accept the pillow block bearings, a pulley and have threads cut on each end.

I'm excited now...It would be very rewarding turning big bowls on a machine I built myself rather than spending upwards of 3K for one that is not as beefy.

Heavy is better! The box underneath the headstock is filled with sand all the way to the floor, if I remember right--it has to weigh close to 1000lbs or more.