Thread: Replacement motor for PM66

Replacement motor for PM66

I have a friend who is looking a a used PM66 but will need to find a replacement motor or other easy, simple means to deal the the 5 hp 3 phase motor that is on it now. He has a complete shop and will not be getting into other 3 phase machines, do this will be a one time problem.

CPeter

Here is the thread where I dealt with the same situation.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93254

I have not had time to put it to the test yet. I will report back once I have.

A little pricey but

For $600 he could use the single phase 220v household current on the three phase motor using one of these.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...FD/PC1-50.html

If he was to convert to a single phase motor he would need to change out the variable drive anyways.

Look at the label for frame size and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    I have a friend who is looking a a used PM66 but will need to find a replacement motor or other easy, simple means to deal the the 5 hp 3 phase motor that is on it now. He has a complete shop and will not be getting into other 3 phase machines, do this will be a one time problem.

CPeter
    Hi Peter, is 5 HP really required?

If not, obtain the frame number from the motor and purchase a 3 HP motor to fit the saw.

Regards, Rod.

I had the same issue last June. I bought a late 1990's PM66 with a 5HP, 3-phase motor. I found that the best replacement motor bang for the buck was a Lesson 3HP motor from "electricmotorsite" which was selling on ebay. The motor I purchased was listed as "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC." This motor has a C face and bolted right up in place of the Baldor 5HP motor. Works great and runs smooth.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Prill View Post
    I had the same issue last June. I bought a late 1990's PM66 with a 5HP, 3-phase motor. I found that the best replacement motor bang for the buck was a Lesson 3HP motor from "electricmotorsite" which was selling on ebay. The motor I purchased was listed as "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC." This motor has a C face and bolted right up in place of the Baldor 5HP motor. Works great and runs smooth.

Steve
    What did you do for speed control Steve?

Mark, why is speed control needed on a table saw? 3450 rpm motors are the norm. A spindle rpm of about 4000 is standard.

IMO, a dedicated $600 VFD solution to utilize the 5hp 3-phase motor seems a bit whacked, compared to purchasing a rotary phase converter or single phase replacement motor.

I found several new 5hp RPCs in the $400-$600 range on eBay. Same or less Bucks...vastly expanded capabilities for multiple machines. (never say NEVER!)

The "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC" mentioned by Steve is $287.99!! A used C-face motor would MOST definately be cheaper!

The Rock Bottom cheapest solution to running the 5hp PM66 on single phase current is a static phase converter. (around $100) Although these are less efficient than rotary phase converters or VFDs, a 5hp motor putting out 2/3 of its HP still gives 3.33 HP! Few 10" tablesaws are pushed to the limit of stallling a 3HP motor! It is worth a try since only this one 3-phase machine is contemplated in the shop! I doubt seriously if the motor would suffer OR lack of usable power would result from implimenting the very economical SPC.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Good point Chip, Not sure what I was thinking last night.

A lot of things rolling around my feeble lil mind sometimes...lol

Speed control...hmm, I never thought of speed control on my table saw but I suppose some thick bois d'arc wood might slow it down a bit.

I looked for several weeks for a used motor and didn't find one at the time. One thing to watch out for is the shaft size. Make sure it's the same as the current motor. If I remember right, I considered a used 2HP motor but the shaft size was different and maybe the hole mount spacing was different.

Steve

I kind of wonder if I need the 5 HP motor on my saw. It makes for a more dangerous kickback, and I don't know that I'll ever need the power.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.