Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Burl, Walnut, Quilted Maple & Spanish Cedar Humidor Complete

Blog Entries

Walnut Burl, Walnut, Quilted Maple & Spanish Cedar Humidor Complete

I finally finished up my humidor this evening, putting all the hardware in place. The approximate dimensions are 32" Tall x 18" Deep x 26" Wide. The top consists of a 4-way bookmatched Walnut Burl Veneer surrounded by a 1/4" inlay of African Blackwood. The side panels consist of quilted maple veneer and the rails, stiles, base, feet, door and top surroud are all made of solid 7/8" Walnut. The interior components are all Spanish Cedar and the interior is lined with 1/4" spanish cedar.

Right now, I am waiting for the humidor to "season" properly before filling it with cigars. I have a new shipment on the way so the humidor will be ready to go when the cigars arrive.

The finish consists of 3 hand-rubbed coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Glossy Polyurthane, knocked down with 0000 steel wool in between each coat.

Thanks again for everyone on the inlay help. I am so happy with the way this project turned out.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim, that is one of the nicest humidors ive seen. I like the size, color and shape......very good job
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Tim,
    Very cool! I really like to cabinet style humidors better than the desk top. Great form and the pull out shelves are a neat feature. A+!

She is a beauty and you figured out something to do with the leftover glass. I love that glass BTW and the inlay...well, lets just say "it is better with inlay".

I come come back to this when I get ready to build one and ask questions.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Outstanding Tim - very nicely done. I am jealous that you can even contemplate having enough sticks on hand to fill that monster. That glass is really cool. Top turned out very well. I remember you were back and forth on the inlay - I think it was the right move.

Very nice looking Big Boy you gave birth too there, Tim. Very nice indeed.

Sarge...

Man that thing turned out nice. The inlay was the right way to go. It really adds that extra element to the top that it needed. You sure gotta put in a lot of stogies to fill that beast. It looks great. Nice Job

That looks great Tim. The veneer really elevates the design. I think the drawers are a nice idea too; no more digging through layers to find the one you want.

A+

I don't even smoke - and I like that!! Great work, and Dewey and the others were right on the dark inlay. It really gives a nice finishing touch.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!

Great work!

That front glass is WILD...looks like "quilted maple" glass!

Nice job on the burl top...I was thinking. to do something like that to the Collaborative Keepsake box several of us are working on.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Very nice, work of art.

Very Nice work Time - While I dont smoke, the design is beautiful, and I may steal it some time down the road. Did you see the finished pics for my daughters cedar/hope chest that was built off of your design? They are posted now. Let me know what you think!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    Tim that is exquisite. I am a Humidor builder as well. I'm working on 3 desktops right now. PM me so we can get together for a Herf. What's your favorite cigar? Opus-x?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Beautiful and functional - well done.
    Where did I put that tape measure...