Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project

Project

Well, I finally completed my first big project that wasn't for the shop. I read here a while ago about somebody whose wife called him a tool collector rather then a woodworker. My wife could probably accuse me of that.

Anyways, for my project I created a new built in desk for my 9 year old daughter Katherine. Pic 1 shows the before picture, and pics 2 and 3 show the after. I made the cabinets, along with a laminated desktop. I also put cork along the back wall for a bulletin board, and whiteboard on the 2 side walls. These were also my first raised panel doors. It wasn't really as hard as I was afraid it would be.

Some things I learnt:

-Remember when making face frames with a pocket hole jig that you are making them upside down. Otherwise you get the mirror image of what you want

-Buy all of your wood at one time. Buy extra. I bought red oak from Rockler for the edge banding on the desk, and then decided to trim the whiteboard and bulletin board in oak also. I bought that rough and ran it through the jointer and planer, and then realized it looked nothing like the original pieces.

-I can't work my HVLP gun. I can spray a flat board, but once I try to do a vertical surface, or inside of a cabinet I get lots of runs, splatters, ... If anybody in the DFW area would be willing to teach me I would gladly trade a nice lunch at a restaurant of their choice.

-Carefully measure the screws you use to attach the drawer fronts, or they will blow right through the front of the drawer.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Bob......that first project looks good to me. Don't be to hard on yourself.....we all learn something every day or we keep repeating our mistakes. I think that's one of the things I enjoy about woodworking. Just when you think you've figured something out you discover another way or different method. I'd say you're more than a tool collector. Nice project!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Excellent!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Looks good to me. I've done the screw through the drawer front / counter top once or twice myself.

Bob.....

That looks outstanding. Beautiful job.

My wife has accused me of the same thing in regards to tools and the amount of projects they haven't done -

Brian

Absolutely great looking first project
    As long as we learn from our "design changes" we won't repeat them.
    I did a similar thing with my router table base when putting dadoes in for the shelves and vertical divider on opposing sides - forgot it was mirror image.

John

Bob,

Excellent first project; or tenth project for that matter . Gave me some good ideas for my six year old's room.

Bob
    bob m

Bob, very nice looking project! Clean, conservative, functional.

Is there a reason that the corner door on the right cabinet does not hinge near the corner? Seems backwards from what might be typical. (Could that be another one of those "learned" things?!)

What wood did you use for the face frames? Why ply for the boxes? Tell us about drawer construction....

Todd

Thank you all for the kind remarks.

In answer to some of Todd's questions:

I made the cabs out of what they call "Shop Maple" with poplar for the face frames and rails and stiles on the doors, and MDF for the drawer fronts and panels on the doors. I used BB ply for the drawers.

The corner cabinet was a learning experience. The first mistake was not allowing enough room in the corner for both sides to open without hitting the knobs. Fortunately I figured that out before installing the cabs, and I shifted the one cab left and installed a spacer. Then I debated which way the corner door should open. Not knowing for sure I guessed - incorrectly (of course).

Thanks

Bob

Nice job Bob, I only wish my first looked as good. I think you named every mistake I've made at one time or another. As to your HVLP, it takes practice, good light, and working through the learning curve. Are you straining the paint well and checking the viscosity? That has been a problem with spatters for me in the past when overlooked. The only other thing I can offer is to work slowly, since the HVLP seems to apply paint somewhat slower thatn the old style compressors.

Good Job Bob! You should be proud esp for a 1st project!! Keep em coming!1

Looks good Bob, but, now that she knows what you can do ....... how many more projects are on the list ??

Congratulations on a great project.
    Tony

Hah! And she thought you collected a lot of tools before this project! Now you've got some ammo to go get that (insert tool here) for the next creation! You done yourself proud on this one, Bob and I'm sure you've got one real, real happy daughter! A maginificent transformation! Keep it up and yes, you *deserve* those tools!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Hammond
    -I can't work my HVLP gun. I can spray a flat board, but once I try to do a vertical surface, or inside of a cabinet I get lots of runs, splatters, ... If anybody in the DFW area would be willing to teach me I would gladly trade a nice lunch at a restaurant of their choice.
    -Bob
    Bob,
    I don't know nuttin about HVLPs but I'll get one and learn. Then about January, when it's real cold up here, you can spring for a plane ticket and I'll come down for a month and teach you everything I learned. I'll even buy the lunch.

Greg

Sorry, Forgot the main reason I posted. Great work. My wife was looking at the pics and asked "Can you do something like that for me?" Sure Honey, but I need a new router.

Greg