Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wenzloff Saw: No gloat... just a wash.

New Wenzloff Saw: No gloat... just a wash.

It's been a rough few days.

I was laid off last Thursday from my job at a Fortune 500 home builder (while not fully financially recovered from my ".COM Bust" layoff earlier this decade.... ).

Bad week.
    Bad economy.
    Bad job market.

Bad, bad, bad...

But on the bright side…

Today my new Wenzloff and Sons freakishly large Kenyon tenon saw arrived (it was ordered during Mike W's short lived overstock sale (and when I was gainfully employed))! I had been planning a long and detailed gloatish post about how long I've lusted after this very saw, and that the back order was listed in the decades, and that due to being very lucky, had stumbled into this, my final tool dream. But getting laid off kind of curdled that for me. So, I figure getting laid off and having no income, while finally getting my dream saw within a few days of each other can’t really be considered “gloat” conditions. So – I’ll call it a wash….

I was tempted to keep it in the box - in case I need to have a tool sale shortly - but I couldn't resist. It is big... I'm a lanky fellow, and it's about as long as my wing span. And heavy, like oddly heavy. Seeing a picture wouldn't do it justice... It's big. As in “large.”

You fellers know I'm not the most skilled among you - and least among you as a sawyer. But I've tried my darndest to learn to saw accurate tenons (with my small Adria tenon saw). I do ok - but eh... they aren't good. I've also learned that the best tools don't equate to skill - but I'll be dadgum if they don't help the unskilled a bit. That said, this XXL saw, this heavy, long - yes - I'll say unwieldy saw was quite intimidating. There is no way I can steer this oversized plate of metal to a scribe line. It’s much too long and heavy.

I took a piece of poplar and scribed a few tenon lines. Chopped the corner chunk out to give me a place to start next to the scribe line... I then simply set the saw in the notch. Suddenly, if by some black majicks at work (no I'm not terribly skilled or bright), the saw was neither too long, too heavy, or too unsteady. It simply sat in that corner notch, right snug up to the scribe line. I took a little weight off the saw and gave a little push... zzzzzztttttttt (how do you type a saw sound?).

hmmm - right on the line. I'll focus on dropping the vertical line first.... few strokes more, tracked right on the line. Top horizontal line was still pretty good - tracked across little over half way. Still tracking right on the line - and easily. Seems like I really have to fight my little tenon saw to hold the two lines. Why was this so easy? Lord, I honestly have no idea. I did the opposite scribe line. Flipped the piece over and repeated the process...

Wow!

This large, unwieldy saw, when only suspended by my pipecleaner arms, is pretty awkward. But when set on wood, it's rock solid. Is it the saw, it is practice? Eh, a little of both I would guess. Is a Wenzloff saw better than any other saw? Eh, dunno to be honest. Is this 19” Kenyon tenon saw an amazing tool. Yea, I’d have to say it is. And a steal at $200ish.

I look forward to when the cares of real life will let me get the chance to really try it out. I smell the fresh finish on the wood, and I see the “WS” medallion on my dream tool – and everything is alright with the world.

I’m hoping to land something fast, because the shop would be the first thing to go. But out of all the powered saws, routers, router tables, sanders, etc, etc – this saw is on the very short list of things to keep.

But perchance I can interest you in a strapping young 16 year old lad. 6’ tall, strong, won’t eat much….

Pictures -

1. With Adria dovetail saw. It's much bigger... trust me.
    2. My arm stretched over it - almost goes from armpit to finger tip. Big backsaw.
    3. Yes, it much bigger than the lawnmower in the back!

Since I have time on my hands, I'll try to upload some video to YouTube... You guys should really see this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - jbd in Denver

Hi John.
    Nice saw!
    Welcome to the world of unemployment.
    Youre not alone.....
    Now might be a good time for you to get some stuff done in your shop you havent been able to get to (you know, that whole work thing).
    One more thing I will add is stay positive. It will get better.
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

Quote Originally Posted by John Dykes View Post
    IEh, a little of both I would guess. Is a Wenzloff saw better than any other saw? Eh, dunno to be honest. Is this 19” Kenyon tenon saw an amazing tool. Yea, I’d have to say it is. And a steal at $200ish.
    The economy is not much better at my house, John, but I gotta get me one of those! I have their dovetail and carcase saws and I love them. Wish I could afford to buy a couple panel saws from them. Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences with it.

Cheers --- Larry

4. Sorry to hear about the job. Keep your head up. Things will turn out, they always seem to in the end. Hey, look at it this way, you'll have plenty of time to get really good at using that saw to it's potential.

Congrats on a great saw! I have the Wenzloff dovetail, carcass, small tenon and large tenon, all from Lee Valley and love them all. Have been eyeing the REAL large tenon saw. I think you just convinced me I need one. It's a beaut! What is the handle on yours? Not the standard beech that comes on the Kenyon line.

You're not the least skilled at sawing. That's my title!

I hope you're able to get back to work as soon as you want to. This economy is hitting everyone. I wish you good luck in that regard and say a little prayer as that can't hurt anything!

Those are two very nice saws!

Beautiful saw! Somebody, I think maybe Chris S, had written awhile back about larger saws being better/easier for tenons. The greater weight makes you "balance" the saw which tends to make the cut straight & the saw does the work. I think that's how it went. Anyway, like I said, that's a beautiful saw, I've got a dovetail coming sometime - expect that to be the start of a slippery slope in itself! Sorry about the job situation, I hope something will open up for you soon.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

It sounds like you got a great bargain on the Kenyon style tenon saw. I cannot see how Mike could sell one for that price,even on sale. There are signifigant material costs there,plus labor.

John--I am really sorry to read of your misfortune! My wish for you is that something which puts beans in the pot will quickly turn up.

Ever since I read Chris' first blog entry about the 19" Kenyon saw--freakishly huge was the phrase--I use that phrase to describe the saw as well.

Still, it is a touch shorter than my vintage one at 21 1/2" in length and 9 ppi...The weight is imposing until like John wrote, it is sitting on wood and in use. Then its mass does contribute to fairly easy sawing. But then, I do like coarser and longer saws than some for similar tasks.

My personal main user tenon saws are shorter--I typically make smaller things and grew up using shorter saws. Still coarse, but shorter.

George--Not really a sale, just had some saws left over from attending two of the recent LN Hand Tool Events in California. All of them were, with the exception of the wood selection, were offered up at the regular cost.

Well, back to PMs and emails...

Take care, Mike

John, that is a great gloat. I think most people have been impacted by the economy in one way or the other. On a brighter note the IT industry is relatively stable compared to others. So you might be able to find work soon, I see a lot of short term contract jobs floating around.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

John,

Thanks for a real life post! Very refreshing to see a review originate from "one of the rest of us" with a description that we would be saying to ourselves as we tried the tool for the first time!

T.Z.

Jamie -

I believe it's a Imbuia handle... one of those "see it to believe it" things.
    - jbd in Denver

George,

Sorry. I didn't mean to mislead you... No, it wasn't really a discount type of sale. As Mike says, it was an overstock as it were. In fact, I paid more for this saw than if you were to buy one from thebestthings.com (I paid $220. TBT sells it for $219.95. Hey, I'm unemployed; 5 cents is 5 cents!).

And with all due respect to Mike, I have to stand by my comment that that when compared to other top of the line tools - specialty planes and whatnot - this saw is a steal at $220.00 (even better at 219.95 ).
    - jbd in Denver

Blog Entries
    John,
    Great post, sad situation with the job.

I took early retirement last year before the bottom fell out. My 401k plan has been decimated. This is the same boat a lot of folks are in. Fortunately, we are still getting by.

I have been trying to figure out what kinds of things to make in the shop to sell for a little extra income.

The biggest problem with that is no one has any money to spend on frivolous things. A lot of people don't even have any extra to spend on practical items.

I hope you can hang on to your shop. That is one of the only places I can find sanity when the whole world seems to be going crazy.

jim

Mike,congratulations on being able to make a very fine saw at such a reasonable price. That is an accomplishment on your part.

I wonder how many of us are in the same job loss situation,or will be in the future. I don't miss mine at 68. Should have retired 2 years ago,but I know a lot of people who got laid off years before they were ready to retire where I worked. Some had never worked anywhere else.