Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Peter Elliot Selected to Beta Test the Ultimate Router Table

Hmmm, where to start on the many reasons why I should be the beta tester?

I've been woodworking for the past 5 years. It started as a hobby that I learned from my stepfather and has kept growing once I bought my own house and got my own shop. Now I have started woodworking full-time, and I love every minute of it. Since I do it full-time, I'd actually be in the market for the Ultimate Router Table so I could offer feedback that possibly hobbyists couldn't. Currently I use my router table for many different tasks ranging from dovetail keys, drawer bottom grooves, profiles, cope and sticking, and many others. Also, I'm definitely within driving distance of the company so I could just drive down and pick up the Ultimate Router Table.

No doubt from looking at the pictures it would be a high end super heavy duty router table, that anyone would certain like to have over many of the lighter duty tables.

Might be interesting to have someone who has and regularly use a full size cabinet shaper and run the comparison to that as a low cost alternate to a full size shaper setup.

Not sure on the pricing as whether the marketing should be toward the "high-end" "ultimate" router table or to an viable economical alternate to a full size shaper. It certainly looks like it has the beefyness to handle a 1 hp powerfeeder.

Rob

beta test

I would be flattered to beta this router table. After about 30 years or so of self taught butchering of wood I am on my 3rd router table top. I do have a shaper of course, so that may play in to my thoughts on marketability. I also have to admit I do already have some thoughts on "pros and cons" and possible changes already just staring at the pics. (A lot of staring going on with a little bit of thinking and drooling.) A couple of questions as well. Is the front slot a t slot or another miter slot? Also what is the depth front to back of this top? Last but not least, if I determine it is just not the top for me and there is someone in my area that would like to test it as well, must be a contributor as well, I can simply put it in my pick up and off it goes to another test site. Other than that I can only offer my honest thoughts and/ or opinions. Thanks for the opportunity.

You think Chris would be willing to ship it to an FPO address in the "sandbox"? No? Me neither. Once again, wrong place at the wrong time.

Best of luck to all eligible and congrats to the lucky devil that gets this in their shop.

Be well,

Doc

been wood working for a lot of years except when deployed to Irac but Im home for good now and have plenty of time to test and would love to have somthing that nice in my shop
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Lets try a different strategy for a potential bid in the beta tester contest.

First I have a tractor with a loader with pallet forks to SAFELY unload this machine and reload it SAFELY back into a freight vehicle.

I have a large detached shop with plenty of space in which to house this awesome machine - easy access - no risk of stairs or steps to get it into a shop. It is well lit and I have a couple different digital cameras to take pictures or video of my review.

I have about 500bdft of red oak, 150 of cherry, and 100 bdft of maple dried on racks in the shop acclimated and ready to be used with the router table.

I have a 5625 Milwaukee router and a Dewalt 618 router ready to install in it.

I also have a 1hp feeder that could be installed on it if you will let me.

I have several cabinet door profiles and a ton of routerbits that can be used to put it through its paces.

I have both a cyclone and a single stage dust collector and a shop vac to test dust collection of this machine.

I have built two different router tables myself in the past and now have a woodpecker table and Incra LS fence with woodpecker dust collection and a Kreg stand to compare this new machine too.

I have experience doing tool reviews for the adjustable clamp company and also have written a blog on the Dewalt site for a contest for them. I will sign an NDA if needed. I have also demoed my sawstop for college mechanical crews and their associated deans.

I would also be in a position to buy the router table if you would rather go that route.

Other than that I am a hobby woodworker who mentors with a parttime cabinet maker here in central IL. I am also the current secretary and upcoming president of my local woodworking club.

Above all I just came in the house from using my router table on a bookcase just now.

Thanks for the consideration.

Mike Heidrick
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A couple points to clarify.....

If you are selected to beta test the router table it is yours to keep.

I believe the table size is 27" deep by 48" long.

Both miter slots are standard slots not "T" slots.

The base does have an access panel and most router bit changes can be done from the top depending on the router that is installed.

The steel top is welded 3/8" plate with 3/8" flat bar reinforcement, then it is machined perfectly flat. I expect it is far superior to any cast iron top and would be able to handle just about any size power feeder you would like to install.

The "Ultimate" handle was my description for this thread. I don't know what make or model/name QG&M will assign to this machine. I do know that I have never seen any machine like it, at any price.

I believe that the winner will have to provide their own router, the JessEm Router Lifter will accomodate almost any router made to the best of my knowledge.

If you are selected to beta test the router table it is yours to keep.

I would be using the 3 1/4hp Freud router in it. I mean I WILL be...

I am, without a doubt, the most qualified person here to do this test.

I'm not a very accomplished woodworker, and I have almost no experience with a router table (although I'm in the middle of acquiring pieces to build one). However, I can tear up a steel ball with a toothpick. If anyone here can break or otherwise screw up this table, I can!

Seriously, I can't think of a better way for a manufacturer to beta test a piece of equipment than on SMC. Already, there are many qualified people on the list. Maybe I'll be one of them someday!
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Blog Entries
    The suspense is killing me.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Interesting timing. I was just looking at router tables, as the one I currently have is a light-weight.

I don't use routers or my router table on every project, but like most I use it for a good portion of them. If selected for the Beta, this would be a good excuse for me to pull the trigger on a 3 1/4 hp Milwaukee. This could also motivate me to make more progress on the bed I'm building for my son.

I manage projects and do business analysis for a living - which means I write a lot. I'm pretty sure I can string together a few reasonably clear pages. My shop is well lighted enough that the pics should be clear. Now if only my photography skills don't blow the whole thing...

Whoever you pick will be a lucky woodworker. Let's just hope I'm a little luckier than the rest.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I would love another router table

OK so I'm interested in trying this router table.
    Ive been a professional carpenter for over 28 years. I've never done anything else but large scale home improvements and shop work. I use router tables and shapers extensively and can honestly say that I'm one of the guys that actually goes to a router table before a shaper. Even my shaper at this point has a router bit conversion collate in it.
    I own 13 routers of all shapes and sizes. I also use, on occasion, a power feeder mounted to a router table extension on my 1949 Delta Unisaw (gotta love it). I use this particular setup mainly for cock beading for inset doors where precision is vital and also for hardwood casings as many of my customers live on the water on north shore of Long Island, so they can afford such luxuries.
    As the shop is now, I have 1400 sq. ft. of usable space that is heated with radiant floor heat and overhead lighting that astounds visitors. This shop is attached to my home and was a great investment. There are two router tables both shop built, two shapers, and two moulding machines, a Shop Fox and an old Foley Belsaw.
    Again I use router tables allot and know that its all about the jigs with these items. Box dentil crowns are a big item here and I actually make them in house. I find it much more cost effective then buying from our moulding manufacturer here on Long Island. Their overhead is just to high and mine is extremely low. I am able to simplify construction techniques where they need to train employees on moulder and shaper use as per OSHA.
    I just completed building a 1200 Sq. Ft. photo shoot studio for a client. If a photo studio can be sexy, this one is, with Koa floors and white oak trim work inside, and as a store front. They still owe me money and want to barter at this point so I will soon be having them come here and photograph some of my work and shop layout for my new website. My existing one is 3 years old and needs some love. An upgrade is in order there as are my router table needs.
    So, maybe this is a match, you needing a professional hands on user and myself needing a new router table.
    Count me in among those wanting to be your test driver.
    Some Links
    http://woodworkers.us/forum/index.php?action=gallery
    My company site
    http://indianisland.us/

Best Regards
    William O'Connell
    Indian Island Contracting
    Last edited by William OConnell; 03-06-2009 at 3:55 PM. Reason: typos
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

My try!

Chris,

Like most here, I too am interested in performing the "Test/Review" for your new product.

I am a third generation craftsman, probably fourth. I learned from an early age about quality tools make quality products. They are an extension of you, the person physically building a piece of history.

I do woodworking on a semi/full time basis as I am a full time firefighter for Washington, DC. The schedule allows me to (for the most part) have plenty of time in the shop.

I use a router table pretty much every day while making a product I sell for bagpipes. Believe me, it's not much of a business money wise and I will not get rich off this product but I keeps in the shop all year around. It keeps my skills up and I meet some great people along ride.

I also make cabinets to fine furniture. More for pleasure than business. It's not about the "green". Example: a neighbor can to my house the other week while I was planing some boards (yep, here that for miles) and was holding a kitchen cabinet door broken from his 5yr old trying to climb on the counter. Well short story was, the wife was not all too happy with him or the little one, so I stop what I was doing, warmed up the router and made a new door to match out of scrap maple. The joy in their eyes was priceless. Amazed that someone could just make door with the right profiles from scratch (it was a cope/stick freud set). He walked home with a little dixie cup of stain and poly with instructions. I.. well, humbled for what my father taught me to help others. Memory to last a long time.

Ok, off the story box. I can offer up some digital age "tools" for the review. Like a personal website documenting from delivery to start up. Photos, videos etc. I have pretty good website design background and equipment to post.

Added bonus to you Chris. I created www.ultimateroutertable.com
    Ready for the Quality Grinding and Machine - Router Table Review.
    Check it out, it's live!

Finally, you chose the best place to offer up such a project. No matter who it is on here, I think you'll fine a true genuine person to review your new work of art.

Thanks for the oppurtunity!
    Peter

I'm a field test engineer at my day job. I test and evaluate our products from the end user's point of view. So evaluating a product is not new to me.

I have 10+ years of woodworking experience building mostly furniture. I make a lot of my mouldings both for the furniture but for trim work in the house and at church.

I'm also an instructor at the American Sycamore Woodworking School in Cloverdale IN.

If you choose me as your Beta tester I would park it over at the school as I don't really have room for it in my little shop right now. This would do several things:

(1) First I'd give the machine a complete going over from a Woodworker/Engineer's stand point.

(2)You would get exposure to many woodworkers at different skill levels and we could ask them to evaluate it at the end of class. It would also be good exposure to potential customers, every student that comes through the school.

(3)The instructors all have many years of woodworking experience and could give their independant evaluations as well.

Yes the school has a couple of other router tables but they are older wood ones. This one would be king of the hill, the one everybody would want to use.

From a testing evaluation point of view this is a as good as it gets. With one machine placement you would get multiple evaluations from a wide spectrum of woodworkers. Sounds like a winning deal for both of us.

Thanks for the consideration,

David McDonnel "Mac"
    Indianapolis IN
    Last edited by D.McDonnel "Mac"; 03-06-2009 at 3:49 PM.
    Mac

Hi there,

I'm more of a candidate to purchase the table, which is probably better for you than another beta tester candidate. I don't do enough volume to qualify as a beta tester. I currently have the Veritas steel table and really like a metal top over a laminated top. It allows me to use the same magnetic jigs and feather boards as my table saw.

However, I just wanted to add my two cents to drop the "ultimate" label. Maybe this is only intended for the beta release, but I don't know of any "ultimate" product that held up over time.

Good luck - nice to see innovation in router tables! I also appreciate your participation in this forum.

rj
    Last edited by Roger Jensen; 03-07-2009 at 1:17 PM.