Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning drum sandpaper with Dishwasher detergent?

Cleaning drum sandpaper with Dishwasher detergent?

A few years ago a small independent woodshop owner {now closed} was telling me about a trick to saving sandpaper for a drum roller. It was to clean the roll in a bucket with dish washing detergent.

I'm now thinking about this trick since I now have many rolls that others wise be tossed away.

From what I remember he said you soak the paper and then the build up could easily be removed and then you just hang it to dry.

Any thoughts?
    Phil

Philip, have you tried the big eraser type things for cleaning your paper. They work pretty good for me.
    David

I roll the paper out on the driveway & use a pressure washer.

Ed

Philip,

I use the big eraser things for all of my sand paper cleaning. Rockler sells them as do others. They work very well. Just turn the sander on and CAREFULLY hold the cleaner stick against the drum moving it left and right. You will be amazed just how clean the sandpaper is when finished. I use it on my drum sanders, belt sanders Random orbit sanders and oscillating spindle sander. Hope this helps.

Joe

Give it a shot, Philip! I use the eraser thingy myself but sometimes burn marks just get in too deep even for that to work.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Pure detergent or a mix of soap an water? If pure detergent, how do you get all the soap off?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Some use their old sneaker soles for cleaning belts. Those erasers cost enough that this might be good advice. And,you can always get old sneakers cheap. Maybe run them through the washer first.

Eraser

While using the paper in the drum sander I use the eraser. But over time the eraser itself doesn't remove all of the build up.

Phil

If you are using the big eraser method, it is very important to do it immediately after each sanding session. If the wood residue is allowed to sit on the paper, it becomes more difficult to take off (particularly if the paper is used again).

If you are getting burn marks on your paper, you are doing something wrong -- feeding too fast or taking too big of a bite. With proper technique, you will never burn the paper. I haven't burned paper in years.

Also, be certain the paper is wrapped tight enough. If you are doing a long sanding session, recheck the wraps after the first few passes. Sometimes it will loosen.. I don't know if the paper slightly stretches or the clamp loosens its grip.. loose wraps are another cause of burning (or tearing in extreme cases).

My sandpaper lasts almost indefinitely by erasing it after every use.

I never had any luck washing my wraps when I had a drum sander. The edges would curl and it wouldn't wrap very well. I used to spray my new wraps with DriCote tool lube to help prevent loading. That plus the crepe rubber works pretty well if you patient with how much you are removing per pass.
    JR

Philip, the eraser works really well but after a little while the grit gets dull and trying to clean wastes time and its harder on your sander
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    A few years ago a small independent woodshop owner {now closed} was telling me about a trick to saving sandpaper for a drum roller. It was to clean the roll in a bucket with dish washing detergent.

I'm now thinking about this trick since I now have many rolls that others wise be tossed away.

From what I remember he said you soak the paper and then the build up could easily be removed and then you just hang it to dry.

Any thoughts?
    Phil

Philip, It seems I've heard of that trick before also but I haven't tried it yet.....Since the rolls you have now aren't doing you any good the way they are, why not take ONE roll and give the washing trick a try! If it works....wash the others....If not then it's back to the ole drawing board!

I've got several rolls that might have a small burn spot or a build-up of sap,rosin,whatever, that I've saved and have been meaning to "wash/soak" but I always seem find other things to do I guess I'll take my advice to you and try it myself!!
    After all sandpaper ain't cheap....every little bit helps.....Recycle & Reuse......and 'cause I'm a cheap.....'er I mean....frugle person

p.s. - Let me know if it works 'cause I know I'll procrastinate.........

Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

I use DNA to clean my strips. Wet them with the DNA and brush of the resdue with a small detail brush and if you wish use one of the erasers after. I usually do this on the machine with an old towel under the drum to catch the mess.

Yesterday I cleaned two of them. I founds the results seem to be pretty good.

The 220 grit curled a lot and the 80 grit didn't at all. I used a toothbrush to clean them.

Today or tomorrow I'll try using them and I'll let you know my results.

Phil

The Millwork Shop used to use a special solution to clean their 37" sanding bands for their big Time Saver thickness sander. It was light blue in color,and I believe it was a strong basic solution,like lye. They make most things out of reclaimed Southern heart pine,much of which is solid with pitch. Really hard on belts !! The solution really digested the pitch,but did leave the sanding bands a bit curly at the edges. They were still usable,being bands,not belts. I could inquire what the stuff was if someone wants to know.I don't know if it's available in small quantitys. They had 55 gallon drums of it.