Thread: Curly Maple Gloat

Curly Maple Gloat

Got a major score on some curly maple last year. This is just a fraction of what I picked up. Two pickup truck loads plus the big slab with 2 live edges in the bottom photo, and 2 nine foot slabs that will be my future dining room table. All for $75 plus 3 days of my time working for him. Some of the boards were 12 feet long!! Sometimes I just stare at the wood thinking of what I'll make.

Last edited by John Michaels; 03-05-2009 at 4:40 PM.

Admirable gloat!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thats gorgeous wood. maple is my favorite.

Is that also considered tiger maple by some?

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    Thats gorgeous wood. maple is my favorite.

Is that also considered tiger maple by some?
    I think so. Seems like the term is used more often with eastern maple.

You dog!
    I'll send you my shipping address if you like. All that pressure has got to be tough on ya.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Fantastic stripe in that maple!! Sometimes, lady luck just jumps in and sits right down next to ya'

Very nice!!
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

Great gloat. I wish I could some like that..its my favorite too.
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Beeee - u - teeee - ful. Nice price as well.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

John, you really struck pay dirt. You said you had to work three days for him, just between you and me who did you put the "HIT" on? http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif Just kidding, but guys would love to have that lumber. Congrats on a great score
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
    John, you really struck pay dirt. You said you had to work three days for him, just between you and me who did you put the "HIT" on? http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif Just kidding, but guys would love to have that lumber. Congrats on a great score
    Kind of a neat story. I have a window cleaning business, and last summer he and his wife call me to come do an estimate. The house is not that big square footage wise, but were talking glass floor to ceiling in some spots. Huge job! Plus some of the windows were in such awkward spots I had to sit there and contemplate how I was going to reach them. Anyhow, I notice that the furniture in his house looks like a fine woodworking gallery and turns out he built most of it himself. I tell him I do woodwoorking also and he shows me his maple stash out in the barn. I about fell over. Hundreds of large maple slabs, most with two live edges like the last photo above. So now I clean their windows and get beautiful wood as a trade.