Thread: First Lathe projects

First Lathe projects

New at this--am mainly learning to turn spindles at this point. Here are a couple projects. The first one is a county candle holder of Borg red oak--the finish is a stain & glaze followed by waterlux.

3-10-09 001.jpg3-10-09 003.jpg

Then there is a stool - all lathe work. The legs are doug fir (painted with an imitaion milk paint) and the seat is redwood (oiled).

3-10-09 008.jpg3-10-09 006.jpg

You'll notice the hole in the seat where I drilled too deep. Oh well! But having done this initial stool, hereafter they will be much better.

Also in the picture is the Shop Master--a ruthless, relentless, overbearing merciless boss whose only concern is the bottom line; I nearly avoided the sting of his whip for drilling that hole through the seat.

nice boss. how was the pine to turn, any trouble with tear out?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Doug, your projects are very nice. looks like you are getting the hang of it pretty quick...I think I would have bored the other three holes all the way through so it would look like I meant to do it..... and a pretty cute little boy also
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

welcome ,
    everything looks good to me. i let my boss watch cartoons and he is much nicer to me . sometimes
    tim in ohio
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Good little boss you have there. Thought the stool looked very nice. I assume all four spindles were done without a copier. Also agree on the holes, make them all the same. Probably no one here that has not had the same thing happen to them. Those that haven't just haven't drilled enough holes.

Nice work on both pieces Doug! I see what you mean about the boss - looks like he is going through your work looking for problem areas!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful work and a handsome apprentice! I agree about boring through with the other two holes or just cutting a plug into place. The exposed tennon was favored for a long time...Bill...

I've seen stools where all four show and they wedged the tennon.

All good! Keep the TV tuned to SpongeBob Squarepants during your next management negotation session. Should help your bargining position.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Good looking boss there. Looks like in the second picture he is telling you get off the computer and get to work.

Great looking pieces.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like the single hole - says Handmade! Wouldn't think a copier would be needed for four legs. Spindle work usually doesn't get the respect it deserves. Keep it up!

thx for the kind words. Overall, the spindle work is straightforward--I just need alot more practice at it to devolope my skills and an eye for proportions.

I found that the doug fir, if it was tight grained--it turned very well. In fact I had great results using it; however, on the pieces where it wasn't tight-grained, I had tear-out despite sharp tools.

I can see where a duplicator would come in handy--but I know nothing about them.