Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krenov plane.

Krenov plane.

Just found out today I have the chance to buy a new wooden plane made by James Krenov for $300 (shipping incl)
    Haven't used wooden planes before but I am ready to buy this as both a collectors item and because I've heard it's a great plane. I'm not sure which model it is but I think he is only making one (model) now. Does anyone have a Krenov plane?
    Likes, dislikes?
    Gregg Feldstone

Krenov planes,as far as I know,are glued up: the sides are glued to the center core that the blade rests in. I think this is an invitation for the pressure of the blade to put enough pressure on the wooden incline to cause the sole behind the blade to come a little loose,and get pushed down behind the blade,protruding below the sole's flat area.

Krenov uses a simple "Roman" cross pin to hold the wedge down,unless I haven't full knowledge of all of his planes. those I have seen were all that way. The Roman system works,and the plane will function.

Personally,I think they are very simplistic,and something anyone could make in a few hours since there is no mortise cutting,or any of the complex inner surfaces in the escapement of a more usual type of wooden plane.

I made a few of that style many years ago when I was young,and wanted a quick plane without much work.

Unless the cachet of the Krenov name adds to the intrinsic value of the plane,I can't see it as worth that much money.

That said,you could probably get your money back when you sell it,if its provenance can be proven.

This all sounds contradictory,I guess,but as an object,I don't see the value,but the fame of the maker probably makes its price. That sounds a lot like the value of some works of art,doesn't it?

I do not mean to run the plane down.I just think it is a very easy to make plane for $300.00. Its something a person might buy who reveres the maker.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Look at the ECE wooden planes

You can get an excellent ECE wooden plane for that or less depending on which you get. They have an excellent reputation.

I have one he made for me from Mesquite. It's as fine a plane as I have ever used. Every bit the equal of any premium plane made today.
    Also, it's the only thing he made that I will ever be able to afford.
    I think it's worth every penny!!!

Hi Gregg

One does not buy a Krenov-made plane as if it was a Lie-Nielson or a Veritas. One buys it because it is made by James "Jim" Krenov. As a plane it is excellent, but it is still not "worth" $300 in competition with established plane makers.

I have one of JK's smoothers. I use it, because this is what he would do. I did not buy it as a financial investment - since I would not sell it. The investment is emotional - I enjoy having a token of The Man.

I have a full review of this plane on my website (probably the only review of a JK plane ever!)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...0Smoother.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

You have to wonder at it's future collectability in that I get the impression his shop cranks these planes out in relatively high numbers. If I were looking for a collector I'd be looking for rarer alternatives. If all you want is a user plane you far better off making it yourself as you'll learn how to make them and you'll save at least half the cost.
    It's all fun and games till someone loses a nut.

I've heard of these going for $1200

I didn't know they were THAT rough!!! I cannot see that that particular plane was made by gluing up.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-06-2009 at 9:41 AM.

George you have to keep in mind Krenov has very poor eye sight now. I remember reading somewhere that he depends on his sense of touch as much as his eyesight when making these planes. But I concur with Derek, you don't buy these planes because of their usability, it because who made them. Some people (not all) are also getting hand written notes from JK with their planes.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

His planes in the 70's were still left with chisel cuts on the ends. He probably thought they looked more "organic" that way.Derek said the same thing I did. It's who made it.

Rough on top...

but how about the bottom? Glassy-smooth curves are good to look at, but its the business end that counts. Not that I don't like glassy-smooth curves.

DF

If you want a Krenov-style plane to use, just buy the iron & chipbreaker or complete kit from Ron Hock and make your own. Craftsman studio sells them at a slight discount. David Finck (author of the book on planemaking) sells the same style irons made of A2 steel.

I built a 2"-wide jack (may shorten to a smoother) using the Hock/Krenov iron/chipbreaker. This was my first shop-built plane and for the investment of $60 + sweat equity and 3/4 BF of purpleheart I already had on hand, now have a jack that cuts better than any of the old Baileys I've fooled with. It also makes Dereks' plane look quite well finished

After this experience, I bought the 1 3/4" iron for a jointer.

In my limited usage, switching from iron to woodies takes a little getting used to. The lighter weight requires more muscle from the user, IMO.

Wooden planes slide easier,and do less damage if you drop them on your work,or crash into something while planing. I always liked working with them,and did so for many years.

Here's a tip: Take the iron out,clamp the plane down to a board,stop the bottom of the throat off with linseed oil based fresh,sticky window putty. Follow those instructions,or the oil will leak out. Then,fill up the plane's escapement with raw linseed oil. It may take several throats full,but the oil will penetrate through both ends of the plane,even long jointers. Then,remove the putty and wipe the plane down. You will have added permanent lubrication to the plane,plus added mass. Old timers used to do this. Of course,wait several days for the oil to dry before use.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-06-2009 at 4:11 PM.

14. I love my Krenov plane. I just feels right in the hand and has become my favorite smoother.

As simple as these planes seem, they're not as easy to make as just cross-cutting and gluing up some stock. The nuances that need to be paid attention to are detailed in Flinck's Making and Mastering Wooden Planes.

$300 is actually a fairly good deal. From what I understood, Krenov wasn't making more of these, they were just his shop tools he was selling off because he could no longer work with them. So long as you've got some provenance, these planes will be worth quite a bit more than $300 10 years down the road.

If you want to use a Krenov-type plane but don't want the burden of protecting an investment in the shop, you should check out Steve Knight's planes. They're not exactly the Krenov design (he uses a wedge instead of a cross-pin, which in my opinion is a superior design), but they're extremely good, no-frills performers.