Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Mid-Atlantic Spring Get-Together?

Dan, please remove my name from the list of attendees.

All, wish I could make it. I know I'm missing a great opportunity, and I was really looking forward to meeting all of you. Unfortunately, I have the flu (hopefully not the porkish variety). An employee visited Arizona three weeks ago, right along the southern border. Two weeks ago he developed flu symptoms. I sent him home on the second day, after I realized how sick he actually was, but apparently that wasn't soon enough. Typically any respiratory infection is about a two week ordeal for me, so I might raise a little alarm if I try to board a plane.

Have fun! Learn lots of stuff! Take lots of pics!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    I hope you feel better, Belinda. The swine flu seems to create a cytokine storm, something that more drastically affects young'uns and those with really strong defense systems... I don't think many of us fit into the former, and I have no idea about the latter (though I haven't been truly sick since I stopped accepting flu shots during grad school, so I may have one of those uber-strong defenses). We'll eat a donut or two in your honor!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

So is this shaping up to be just a one day thing? Barring the fact that its a 5 hour drive I may try to come. I'll see if I can bring someone along with me.

This is such a new venue for me I'd really like to see how some of you veteran business owners are doing and maybe get a better idea if I decide to start my own business
    Gerber Composer, Omega, & Edge
    Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
    --------------------------------
    Previously: Epilog Legend EXT 75W

Blog Entries
    Amanda,

About a 4-hr drive for me each way, but yes, one day jam-packed with excitement and information... you're close enough to stop by my place if you have any questions sometime down the road.

Sorry your not gonna make it Belinda was looking forward to meeting your show and tell about Corian and Jewlery.

I'll change the list in a few moments.

Amanda, yes this is a 1 day event but I'm save the good stuff for later in the afternoon so come on down looking forward to meeting you.

So can we add you to the list?

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Updated :
    AGENDA May 9th

8:30 – 9:30 Coffee / Donuts / Breakfast Biscuits / Sweet Potato and Country Ham Rolls

9:30 -10:30 Open Discussion

10:30 – 11:30 ShopBot News (Bill Young) / Project Design Co. (Robert Bridges)

11:30 – 12:30 (tentative Aaron Kohl / ShopBot Keyhole Utility and Corel Draw Braille program Demo

12:30 – 1:30 Lunch (Fresh NC BBQ, Pizza, assorted Beverages and Breakfast leftovers)

1:30 – 2:30 Tips and Tricks Using LED's (Dan Hintz)

2:30 3:30 Vinyl Plotter and Sign Discussion (Mystery Speaker)

3:30 – 4:30 Open Discussion (Show and Tell)

4:30 – untill Open Discussion (no Demos in this time slot)

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
    Bill Young
    Ed Lang (possiably Jay too)
    Keith and Jackie Outten
    Aaron and Kathy Koehl
    Nancy Barry
    Dan Hintz
    Steve Shepherd

Phylisis Meyer
    Scott Wiggington
    Mark FitzMorris
    Mark Didiwick
    Shane Sura
    Jim Creech
    Robert Bridges
    Jeff Levine
    Don Marshburn
    Bryson Wagner

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also, I have created an Event Page on FaceBook for this event.

You can find it here:

http://www.facebook.com/editevent.ph...id=76582796818

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dan: Awesome! I didn't realise you were so close.

Angus: Not just yet, I need to verify that I'm not supposed to be somewhere else that day. For some reason I feel like the 9th has some other significance but I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Gerber Composer, Omega, & Edge
    Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
    --------------------------------
    Previously: Epilog Legend EXT 75W

Amanda Just let us know when you know.

Updated :
    AGENDA May 9th

8:30 – 9:30 Coffee / Donuts / Breakfast Biscuits / Sweet Potato and Country Ham Rolls

9:30 -10:30 Open Discussion

10:30 – 11:30 ShopBot News (Bill Young) / Project Design Co. (Robert Bridges)

11:30 – 12:30 (tentative Aaron Kohl / ShopBot Keyhole Utility and Corel Draw Braille program Demo

12:30 – 1:30 Lunch (Fresh NC BBQ, Pizza, assorted Beverages and Breakfast leftovers)

1:30 – 2:30 Tips and Tricks Using LED's (Dan Hintz)

2:30 3:30 Vinyl Plotter and Sign Discussion (Mystery Speaker)

3:30 – 4:30 Open Discussion (Show and Tell)

4:30 – untill Open Discussion (no Demos in this time slot)

All Day - Free access to the USB hard drive, file sharing

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
    Bill Young
    Ed Lang (possiably Jay too)
    Keith and Jackie Outten
    Aaron and Kathy Koehl
    Nancy Barry
    Dan Hintz
    Steve Shepherd

Scott Wiggington
    Mark FitzMorris
    Mark Didiwick
    Shane Sura
    Jim Creech
    Robert Bridges
    Jeff Levine
    Don Marshburn
    Bryson Wagner
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-01-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Directions

From points North :

Take I-64 east
    To US 17 South (J.Clyde Morris Blvd. exit)
    Follow US 17 South across the James River Bridge
    To Cedar Grove Rd. Make right on to Cedar Grove Rd.
    Follow Cedar Grove Rd. to Marsh View Ct. (the second right)
    To 208 Marsh View Ct. (you will see it right after you turn on to Marsh View)

From Points South:

Take I- 85 and/or I-95 North
    To US 58 East
    Follow US 58 East
    To US 10/32 West (Smithfield exit) follow
    To US 258 South Follow
    To US 17 south turn left at Cedar Grove Rd
    Then turn right on to Marsh View Ct.

OR just Mapquest: 208 Marsh View Ct.- Carrollton, Va. 23314

And if all else fails look for the Pink Flamingo signs I'll be putting up around the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries

Exclamation Please bring toys

Please feel free to bring toys, samples, etc.

At Nancy's request, I will be bringing along the idea kit from Cryo (manufacturers of AcryLite) so people can see what a large range of acrylic is available. Due to my LED talk, I will also be bringing along a selection of LED sizes/types.

For the woodworkers in the group, I personally would love to see a selection of different wood types (burls, bird's eye, etc.) as I've only seen them on the web, not in person. I would love to cut my own thins but have held back for fear of leaving a fingertip or two in the scrap pile... some hints/tips on safely doing such a job would be highly appreciated. Anyone want to give a talk on choosing the right tool for the job, like proper drill bit composition versus substrate, speeds, etc.?

Did I already post these suggestions? They sound familiar... I'm losing my mind.

Hey Dan I have 2 of those Idea Kits here if you want to save some room on the bike !

Maybe we can get Keith to do a little demo on cutting thins. the way I do it is well less than safe and I probably do it with a tool thats not intended for such a job.

10 in 10 out all is good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Please feel free to bring toys, samples, etc.

At Nancy's request, I will be bringing along the idea kit from Cryo (manufacturers of AcryLite) so people can see what a large range of acrylic is available. Due to my LED talk, I will also be bringing along a selection of LED sizes/types.

For the woodworkers in the group, I personally would love to see a selection of different wood types (burls, bird's eye, etc.) as I've only seen them on the web, not in person. I would love to cut my own thins but have held back for fear of leaving a fingertip or two in the scrap pile... some hints/tips on safely doing such a job would be highly appreciated. Anyone want to give a talk on choosing the right tool for the job, like proper drill bit composition versus substrate, speeds, etc.?

Did I already post these suggestions? They sound familiar... I'm losing my mind.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Good enough, I'll leave the kit home (you have two? ).

I just talked with one of the guys in the machine shop (you know, where the really BIG and cool toys are ). He suggested a custom-made rail block on the band saw and a good quality planer would be best. Maybe you guys have another way, I just hate to see good wood chipped away.

I would be glad to pitch in with any topic I am qualified to speak about which is a very short list

Re-sawing wood or Corian is a snap, all it takes is a really good band saw and it is a low to no risk procedure. I slice my own thin wood often but the truth is I make thin Corian pieces most of the time for custom badges and inlay materials. The larger band saws that are made today make the job a no brainer, there isn't any need to adjust for drift anymore so you just set the fence and make your cut.

To clean up the saw marks I purchased a small drum sander, the 10-20 model I think. It will sand short pieces very thin, the larger drum sanders won't work with small pieces.

I know that life gets in the way but I strongly suggest that anyone who is able to join us on May 9th be there. These small events are the best way to learn new techniques and acquire valuable information. Good food and friendly conversation are icing on the cake
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-01-2009 at 6:01 PM.

Mid Atlantic Spring Get-Together?

I was really looking forward to this get-together to meet you all and pick up a lot of graphics. I intended to bring a load of wood thins to donate to attendees. I have more than I will ever use and would be happy to share. They came from a mill that makes flooring and are rejects for one reason or another. Most are 5.75" wide. Some are thicker than veneer but too thin to stand alone. Ideal for inlays. Black Walnut. Black Cherry, Hard Maple, Jatoba, and White Oak. I also have the same in 1/16 to 1/8. Anybody that wants to swing by and pick up a load to bring down there, give me a shout. Mapquest says driving time about 9.5 hrs. I'm in the Southern Tier, Upstate NY. Any Creeker that wants to come here for a visit and pick up some freebies is welcome. 716 945 0098 or send me a PM. If you have graphics to share, bring a flash drive - I have lots of storage. P. S. I cut my thins using a bandsaw blade called veneer slicer. Requires very little sanding.