Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench bolts?

Bench bolts?

Where can I find bench bolts and don't cost an arm and a leg?

Jason

Home Depot. Just regular ol' bolts.

Not what I would consider "cheap" by any stretch, but thanks.

J

The Lee Valley and Highland links are for 1/2" hardware.
    If you think 3/8 will do the job, you can get a 10-pack of cross dowels for $10 at Woodpeckers: http://www.woodpeck.com/cgi-woodpeck...5dd107769c50c8.
    Bolts&washers available separately. Buy locally and save freight.
    I'm doing a kitchen island project and wanted to mount the legs with these. The above link came up in another SMC discussion last week, so I ordered the 3/8" and a bag of 5/16" while I was at it. These things are handy when they fit a design and anything above 1/4" is not to be found at most outlets.

BobV

Actually, I probably should use 1/2". Workbenches do take quite a beating.

Thanks.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    The Lee Valley and Highland links are for 1/2" hardware.
    If you think 3/8 will do the job, you can get a 10-pack of cross dowels for $10 at Woodpeckers: http://www.woodpeck.com/cgi-woodpeck...5dd107769c50c8.
    Bolts&washers available separately. Buy locally and save freight.
    I'm doing a kitchen island project and wanted to mount the legs with these. The above link came up in another SMC discussion last week, so I ordered the 3/8" and a bag of 5/16" while I was at it. These things are handy when they fit a design and anything above 1/4" is not to be found at most outlets.

BobV

I have seen routed elongated holes used with regular washers and nuts, that is about the cheapest you could get.

You can drill and tap a rod to make a barrel nut and buy the bolts local.
    Scott

Blog Entries
    I think the nuts you are looking for are called dowel nuts. McMaster Carr has some that seem reasonably priced that can be used with standard threaded bolts.

I did a google search for dowel nuts and cross dowel nuts and found a number of suppliers. They are commonly used for knockdown assembly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Where can I find bench bolts and don't cost an arm and a leg?
    Just get regular big hex bolts and chisel one side of the hole for the nut square to accept a nut&washer.

Way cheaper than the "bench bolts".

If I was going to build a bench that I was proud of and was going to give it a good work out I would do it right and go with the bench bolts even if they were in the $30 range for 4 bolts. I would even consider 3/4 inch bench bolts depending on the size of lumber that the bench was made from. I tend to over do things that I never want to visit again.
    David B

Jason,
    I bought mine from Highland and they are bomb proof. After spending time and money to make my base, I'm very glad I didn't cheap out on the hardware to put it together. I've all ready had to take mine apart and and put it back together. It was extremely easy with the bench bolts.

Bill

I used the Lee Valley bench bolts when I built my bench and while they are expensive they are solid as a rock. I was building a "lifetime" bench that I knew I would be using for many years and figured I should invest in good quality hardware. If you are building a long-term bench the cost of the good bolts with be minor over the life of the bench.

Those are what I'm looking for, except I need 1/2" nuts. Can't find them with Google. Any ideas?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think the nuts you are looking for are called dowel nuts. McMaster Carr has some that seem reasonably priced that can be used with standard threaded bolts.

I did a google search for dowel nuts and cross dowel nuts and found a number of suppliers. They are commonly used for knockdown assembly.

Ok, I'll stop being cheap. I just ordered some from Highland.

At least they're less than at Lee Valley!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blevins View Post
    Jason,
    I bought mine from Highland and they are bomb proof. After spending time and money to make my base, I'm very glad I didn't cheap out on the hardware to put it together. I've all ready had to take mine apart and and put it back together. It was extremely easy with the bench bolts.

Bill