Thread: Question on drawers next to doors with euro hinges

Question on drawers next to doors with euro hinges

I am building a double bathroom vanity and there will be two sets of doors at each end with a bank of drawers in the middle. I planned on using euro hinges on the doors. It occurs to me that the hinges will cause the doors to protrude 3/16" off of the face frame (overlay doors). This will put the plane of the doors out of alignment with the plane of the drawer fronts. The gap between the doors and the drawers will be intentionally small, so I'm concerned that this difference will be quite noticeable.

How is this inherent issue with euro hinges normally handled? Is it usually ignored because a larger gap on typical face-frame style cabinets disguises the problem? Or is something done to make the drawer fronts sit slightly proud of the frame to match the doors, such as small bumpers or something? I would also have a problem with the false drawer fronts in front of each sink (and above the doors).

Thoughts?

3/16??? Are you sure you are reading that right? Mine are never more than the thickness of a felt bumper pad and since I pad the drawer fronts too, it's never been a problem.Where are you getting the 3/16"?
    David DeCristoforo

You must be using Blum's face-frame hinges, not the regular ones. They do jack the door 3/16" away from the face of the face-frame, and you just have to deal with it. Move your drawers forward, and your blank panels too. Or change to the regular hinges. You can adjust them to nearly zero clearance to the face frame. You'll need to add blocking behind the face frame to make a mounting area for each hinge.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    3/16??? Are you sure you are reading that right? Mine are never more than the thickness of a felt bumper pad and since I pad the drawer fronts too, it's never been a problem.Where are you getting the 3/16"?
    I'm using Blum Compact 38N hinges, and it says 3/16" right on the Blum spec sheet. I even ran a small mockup and actual measurements bear that distance out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You must be using Blum's face-frame hinges, not the regular ones.
    Yes, I am. I was trying to avoid the blocking and the hinge extending into the interior.
    Last edited by Mark Blum; 03-06-2009 at 11:20 PM.

"... it says 3/16" right on the Blum spec sheet..."

So it does.... Never used those before. Looks like your stuck with that if you want to use those hinges. Pushing the DFs forward as Jamie suggested would pretty much be your only option. You could try letting the hinges into the face frame a bit but that's going to be pretty "fussy" Or you could take Jamie's other suggestion and use different hinges. I would second that.
    David DeCristoforo

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    \
    I here you David. Mine are perfectly inline. There's also some adjustment on most euro hinges. I use Salice and you can adust them in or out. 3/16ths is an awful lot. I noticed another poster was familiar with Blum face frame hinges. I'm glad I don't use them after reading that. Almost everything I do has a face frame and they don't sit nearly that proud
    Last edited by William OConnell; 03-07-2009 at 1:57 AM.
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

I've never used the Blum face frame hinges but I have used the Cliptop hinges with face frame adapters and the doors fit flush.