Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new way to shear cut?

new way to shear cut?

well i was playing around last night with a couple peices of apple trying to figure out the best way for me to make the cleanest cut, after what happened on thursday i will probably not shear cut with a scraper on an angle for a long time. so i was playing around with my bowl gouge, and found that for shear cutting on the outside, you can take the bowl gouge and turn it upside down, and use the "wings" to shear cut. is this new or is this just something that has been around? i was able to use it this way to make several peices that are now see through.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Shear cutting with a bowl gouge, particularly those with an "Irish" type grind is standard practice. David Ellsworth teaches it and it's one of the primary drivers for his gouge grind. Bill Grumbine, who was a student of David, teaches the same. There are many others, too.

I would not necessarily advocate turning the gouge over, however. Having a grind that you can easily move from cutting at the tip to shear cutting with the side grind makes for more flexibility and probably more safety. You shift not just the cutting location on the grind, but also the orientation of the tool. For shear cutting and finishing work, the tool is typically held at a 45º angle from vertical and up to about 45º off horizontal...resulting in very light, fluffy shavings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

jim, can you post a picture of what you mean? i am lost.

Shear scraping with a side ground gouge, either bowl or spindle, is done with the flute facing the wood, very lightly scraping with the lower cutting edge and with the upper cutting edge very close to the wood. The tool handle shold be down or level but not up. Cutting very lightly with the grain this is very effective in cleaning up endgrain tearout etc. in preparation for sanding.

There is a possible danger when doing this....if the upper cutting edge gets too far from the wood you now have an unsupported cutting edge and it will dig in.

Wally

Curtis you need to get Bill Grumbines DVD Turned Bowls Made Easy. He shows several ways to do the shear cut. I would not use a shear cut with both edges. I do it like Wally said. One edge on the wood and the other lifted just slightly off the wood. You will get a better cut. Instead of laying your gouge horizontal turn the handle down so it is a a 45 deg angle to the tool rest.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nothing new Curtis, Peter Child in his "Craftsman Woodturner" book from early 1970 already mentioned the cutting with all parts of the gouge, as he said "totally upside-down", though he was using the then brand new bowl-gouges and they still used a close to square across grind, something we still use on the spindle roughing gouges.
    I use the cutting with the wing often when taking a cut from the edge of a bowl down the outside wall with a conventional ground gouge, works for me.
    Have fun and take care

Curtis - maybe it is not something new to the rest of us - but it sure is fun when you get to the point in your turnings that you start 'discovering' these things!

Have fun with it - and make sure no more bowls to the face!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

For the newbies!

For this who want to see a video of this:

Click on the bowl gouge technique video once the page loads. He does a shear cut with the bowl gouge and shows how to do it after the bowl is shaped.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/?lid=1339217302

It's about 5minutes into the video in case you are short on time.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 03-07-2009 at 9:18 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Not a bad demo. I don't know anybody who grinds their gouge at 80 degrees. That's almost flat. Ellsworth grinds at 60 degrees. I do too.

If he had been rubbing the bevel with his pull cut he wouldn't have had tearout. He was going with the grain with what looked like Doug Fir. Not the easiest to turn.

It would drive me nuts to turn at the slow RPM's he appeared to be using. Looked like 500 to 700 RPM. For a bowl that size I would be turning at 1600 to 1800. Faster, smoother, easier IMO.

Wally

Wally - I agree with everything you just said! I actually stopped the video less than halfway through as it was painful to watch everything progress at such a slow pace! I do not turn my bowls any where close to the speed you listed but find 800-1000 rpm comfortable - with my skill level. I can only assume that as my skill level increases - so will the speed at which I can turn comfortably.

Also agree with you on the grind of the demonstrator's gouge. I have mine ground at 60* - or close to it and find it does everything that I ask.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dewey,
    Thanks for the link. I actually liked the slow speed because it gave me a clearer understanding of the cut process. I'm sure for experienced turners it was painfully slow, but for me it was fine.
    Bob V.

i played with different cuts today, today was interesting. i broke my lathe twice and fixed it twice. then go to turning some of the locust that got cut down this summer. for being really wet still, it only comes off as dust. i made 2 peices of locust that you can see the light through, they almost look like a peice of norfolk island pine

Hé Curtis you know the rule,.........No Pictures, it didn't happen
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Not a bad demo. I don't know anybody who grinds their gouge at 80 degrees. That's almost flat. Ellsworth grinds at 60 degrees. I do too.

If he had been rubbing the bevel with his pull cut he wouldn't have had tearout. He was going with the grain with what looked like Doug Fir. Not the easiest to turn.

It would drive me nuts to turn at the slow RPM's he appeared to be using. Looked like 500 to 700 RPM. For a bowl that size I would be turning at 1600 to 1800. Faster, smoother, easier IMO.

Wally

Wally and Steve,
    It was interesting to hear you both agree on this. As a newbie I gather info as I can and it is g great to hear different points of view.

Even in the Grumbine video he often does a cut at what I call “professional speed” and then slows it down for the Newbies which calls for my title in the above thread.
    I am not sure if you guys realize it or not but if I went to your shop and watched you turn I would learn a lot but I would learn even more at slower speeds because my mind is still developing the knowledge needed for proper bevel riding, grain control, which tool to use, techniques, among various other sorts of (could I do that or this or ....) types of things.
    Same would happen if I invited someone who just built their first step stool over for a double bevel marquetry demo. Chances are they would get lost if I worked at full speed the entire time.
    To you PROs I am sure some of the videos I have seem slow but to me they are so fast I often have to rewind.

Steve,
    I agree that the comfort speed is the right speed.

Wally,
    Man that seems awful fast but you are talking to someone who has been turning for a month.

I don’t want this to be taken wrong. Steve has helped me learn to turn more than any video or Creeker. He and Wally are both just way better then me.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 03-08-2009 at 1:28 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

what do you want pictures of, the lathe of the locust?