Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Doors

French Doors

My puppy chewed a hole through my back door. I know it sounds really weird, but I returned home and I saw our puppy chewing on the door. Anyway, now I am sitting at the computer and I feel a nice little breeze on my feet. Have I mentioned I hate dogs?

Anyway I need to replace the door, and I was trying to find some information about making french doors. Is there a book or a video I could buy to learn how to make french doors?

I just bought a shaper, so I have the machinery necessary for the job, I am just looking for a little guidance. I saw that Freud has a router bit set for making french doors, but they look pretty pricey. If the cost of getting the cutters or router bits is going to be close to what a door at the borg is going to cost, I might just buy the door from a borg and call it good. Any advice would be great

Thanks

Jacob
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 03-07-2009 at 5:35 PM.

You cannot make one French door as cheaply as you can buy decent 15-light doors at the BORG! An exterior door cutter set (1-3/4" thick stock) is a pretty expensive proposition for just ONE door! Plus, learning all the in's and out's of door construction. (and fitting mullions) You may have varmits coming through that opening besides just a breeze before you perfect your door-making (and hanging!)

But, if you are a GUTSY kinda guy...GO FOR IT! Grizzly and Elite Tools (eBay) sell some decent cutter sets for entrance doors. You will have to hone your machining methods to produce consistent results that go together like they should! Door making will be a HUGE learning experience for you !!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Smile french door

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    My puppy chewed a hole through my back door. I know it sounds really weird, but I returned home and I saw our puppy chewing on the door. Anyway, now I am sitting at the computer and I feel a nice little breeze on my feet. Have I mentioned I hate dogs?

Anyway I need to replace the door, and I was trying to find some information about making french doors. Is there a book or a video I could buy to learn how to make french doors?

I just bought a shaper, so I have the machinery necessary for the job, I am just looking for a little guidance. I saw that Freud has a router bit set for making french doors, but they look pretty pricey. If the cost of getting the cutters or router bits is going to be close to what a door at the borg is going to cost, I might just buy the door from a borg and call it good. Any advice would be great

Thanks

Jacob
    why not just repair it jack

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    You cannot make one French door as cheaply as you can buy decent 15-light doors at the BORG! An exterior door cutter set (1-3/4" thick stock) is a pretty expensive proposition for just ONE door! Plus, learning all the in's and out's of door construction. (and fitting mullions) You may have varmits coming through that opening besides just a breeze before you perfect your door-making (and hanging!)

But, if you are a GUTSY kinda guy...GO FOR IT! Grizzly and Elite Tools (eBay) sell some decent cutter sets for entrance doors. You will have to hone your machining methods to produce consistent results that go together like they should! Door making will be a HUGE learning experience for you !!
    Thanks Chip. Assuming I am gutsy, or just plain dumb as my wife likes to say, is there a good resource out there I could get to help me make the door?

Quote Originally Posted by jacques nolin View Post
    why not just repair it jack

The extent of the damage would make the prospect of repairing the door as difficult as building a new one. In all fairness, the door needed replaced anyway.

I know I've seen a book on door making, but I sure can't remember what it's called... Anyone else with better memory? I think it was a Taunton book, a pretty old one.

What parts of the door construction do you need help with?

If you are going to dive into the deep end, you might as well invest a few more bucks on a decent book:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Hand.../dp/0806965444

All of the knowledge you will need can be found in this book. No point reinventing the wheel. The skill? well, that's another kettle of fish. But if you learn some things first and take some time to make test cuts and verify everything before committing expensive materials and are careful with your setups and understand how to perform each operation safely... well then there is no reason you could not make a door. But, you will never make one cheaper that you could buy one, especially if you are buying it from a "BORG". And most especially if you don't care about the quality!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post

I happen to have a similar problem, so I am borrowing this thread reply to try to understand what is needed. I have seen some door cutter sets, and also how they can be used for quite wide door taps, but how are the holes made for coresponding widths? A normal router bit can not go deep enough?

--- Mats ---

"...but how..."

Read the book! There are many ways to make the joints but the cope and stick cuts are not strong enough to hold a large door together. They must be used in conjunction with some additional joinery.
    David DeCristoforo

Before you start, make sure your dog doesn't like "French Food".

Faust Ruggiero

second the book david linked. it's out of print so you'll have to pay quite a bit for it but it is the most complete resource on building doors and windows available in one publication.

i also highly recommend sketchup. making measurements on the fly is not something that can be done with windows and doors..well at least not by someone who isn't a mathematical prodigy to start with. you need to know what you're doing before you ever cut a board.

fwiw i use the freud door set you mention for both doors and windows. they work fine. yes they will be pricey, but that goes with the territory. these aren't the box full of 1/4" roundover and rabbet bits you get at the borg for 30 bucks. if they aren't a perfect match to each other the joints won't fit. and if they have to be sharpened too often they won't match anymore. unless you never plan to make a door or window again after this one, i'd avoid the cheapo rail/stile sets.

and there are other considerations besides the cuts. you need a dead flat gluing surface, or a dead flat floor with clamps that stand up on their own (like the bessey k bodies). you need to measure the cutter heights by checking test cuts with a micrometer as you go, eyeballing it is not good enough, nor is a ruler good enough. you'll need a helper when you start the glue up, once the glue is on there's no going back so you have to have it together before the glue starts to set. you have to have flawless lumber. if you have a board that you flatten, plane, and dimension on monday that cups or twists before you start cutting the parts on tuesday, you throw it away and get another one that stays straight. that's why good solid core doors cost so much.

and then there's hanging it, which is a whole other set of problems and solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mats Bengtsson View Post
    I happen to have a similar problem, so I am borrowing this thread reply to try to understand what is needed. I have seen some door cutter sets, and also how they can be used for quite wide door taps, but how are the holes made for coresponding widths? A normal router bit can not go deep enough?

--- Mats ---
    the freud bits can be taken apart, so you're only cutting half of a rail or stile at a time (you flip the board and cut each side separately).

so the profile height stays the same, only the width of your tenon and the width of the panel groove change.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 03-07-2009 at 3:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    second the book david linked. it's out of print so you'll have to pay quite a bit for it but it is the most complete resource on building doors and windows available in one publication.

i also highly recommend sketchup. making measurements on the fly is not something that can be done with windows and doors..well at least not by someone who isn't a mathematical prodigy to start with. you need to know what you're doing before you ever cut a board.

fwiw i use the freud door set you mention for both doors and windows. they work fine. yes they will be pricey, but that goes with the territory. these aren't the box full of 1/4" roundover and rabbet bits you get at the borg for 30 bucks. if they aren't a perfect match to each other the joints won't fit. and if they have to be sharpened too often they won't match anymore. unless you never plan to make a door or window again after this one, i'd avoid the cheapo rail/stile sets.

and there are other considerations besides the cuts. you need a dead flat gluing surface, or a dead flat floor with clamps that stand up on their own (like the bessey k bodies). you need to measure the cutter heights by checking test cuts with a micrometer as you go, eyeballing it is not good enough, nor is a ruler good enough. you'll need a helper when you start the glue up, once the glue is on there's no going back so you have to have it together before the glue starts to set.

and then there's hanging it, which is a whole other set of problems and solutions.

the freud bits can be taken apart, so you're only cutting half of a rail or stile at a time (you flip the board and cut each side separately).

so the profile height stays the same, only the width of your tenon and the width of the panel groove change.
    Thank you, very complete answer. Could check of all requirements except book and router bits. Now hunting for the book.

--- Mats ---

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    If you are going to dive into the deep end, you might as well invest a few more bucks on a decent book:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Hand.../dp/0806965444

All of the knowledge you will need can be found in this book. No point reinventing the wheel. The skill? well, that's another kettle of fish. But if you learn some things first and take some time to make test cuts and verify everything before committing expensive materials and are careful with your setups and understand how to perform each operation safely... well then there is no reason you could not make a door. But, you will never make one cheaper that you could buy one, especially if you are buying it from a "BORG". And most especially if you don't care about the quality!

Thanks David. That was exactly what I was looking for.

And get a crate for the puppy. Don't leave home without puppy in crate. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    And get a crate for the puppy. Don't leave home without puppy in crate. Jim.
    I am a big fan of crate training. Unfortunately it wouldn't have helped in this case. The puppy was outside with my daughter when she chewed through the door. But, like I said, the door needed replaced anyway. This just changes my order of priorities about what I need to.