Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old RAS Gloat

Old RAS Gloat

I know that Radial Arm Saws do not have a great reputation, but I saw this one on my local CL and could not resist it. From what I have been able to tell it was made in either 1955 or 1956. It is a MBF model and is in the best condition of any one of these I have ever seen. I got it for $150 which I felt was a fair price. It required very little clean-up and the motor runs perfectly. I hope this is gloat worthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup... that's the "real thing" alright. Even got the original paint in what looks to be very good shape. Protect those red "bakelite" knobs with your life. Over time they can become brittle and they are almost impossible to replace. Nice score.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice original condition saw. Congrats! The first 2 #'s on the serial plate on the motor are the year the motor was made I believe. Lots more info here:http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodb.../start?lgnJR=1
    Loren

Thank you for the both for your replies, I am defiantly nervous about the old Bakelite knobs, I was told that I can get replacements from Wolf Brothers - although they are black. I am planning on getting a set and put the originals away in a safe place.

I checked the motor serial number and it begins with '55'. From that I can now date the saw to 1955.

Wolfe might be able to supply black knobs but the red ones are "hen's teeth".
    David DeCristoforo

nice gloat and good looking saw.... if those red knobs start drying out and get chalky looking .you can soak them in thined linseed oil and it will make them like new
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

You got a fantastic deal for $150! Those saws are worth over $350....I sold one a few years ago for $450 and it needed a lot of work!

David thanks for the tip on soaking the knobs. The ones on mine look terrible. I'll have to give it a try. Any idea how long they need to soak?

Loren

Michale, gloat worthy!! That is one of the nicest RAS I have ever used, and now that you have one I'm not speaking to you so there!!

Here's a link that has some information on it if you need it.

http://home.comcast.net/~dewalts/
    Last edited by Bob Genovesi; 03-08-2009 at 8:01 AM.

Great Gloat Michael! Your old DeWalt looks great! Imma *RAS Kinda Guy*! Restoring two Rockwell 12" RAS's as we speak!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Those saws are absolutely fantastic. With the right blade they can really be a valuable addition to a shop. I just put one in mine....and I love it. Yours is unusual with the excellent condition it's in, and all the knobs and other parts being there. Nice find!
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Here's what those saws can do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUnZpUDvzgs

Manhattan Supply Co. has red bakelite knobs as well as the black ones. At least they have red in the smaller sizes. I bought new knobs for my Hardinge HLVH lathe. The 2 knobs for lengthways and cross feeds are identical,so I bought a red knob for the crossfeed. It was 1" dia. Check with them for larger sizes.They have metal thread liners.

Michael, YOU SUCK!!

I've only seen one MBF in better shape than this. Went for over $500 on flea bay about four years ago, and was museum quality.

Looks like you already have the right blade on it. The 8" Forrest WW1 triple chip tooth blade was developed specifically to be an all-purpose RAS blade. Be sure to pick up the Mr. Sawdust RAS book. It will show you how to do everything that machine is capable of safely. Properly aligned and used with a correct blade, not much can touch an old DeWalt.

BTW, don't be too worried about the knobs. I've never thought one of mine would break unless it took a hit from something. As long as things are kept clean and moving, the forces on them are pretty small.

Enjoy!
    DESIGN is EVERYTHING! Without good design, the greatest craftsmanship is wasted. Not all great museum pieces are of the best craftsmanship. It was design that made them a treasure. -- Wallace Kunkel, aka Mr. Sawdust

That is one fine looking machine. I would bet that is worth tons more once the economy settles down in in 2025, especially with those original knobs and great paint.