Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

Mark good to see ya back and getting the beast ready to rock and roll again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I am looking Leo, let me know if ya come across anything would ya?

Thanks Bernie.

I left 11.5" between the ways and the spindle and the bed is 5' 3' so I guess the capacity would be considered a 2363? But with the ways removed it would be more like 6323

Good to see you back Mark. Try searching ebay for a tailstock. I've seen several from metal lathes there.

The monster needs a new home.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to build things, engineering challenges and the like but when its all said and done, I just don't use it.

The machine is stable as they come and will spin wood bigger and heavier than most sane folks would even get near.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-26-2012 at 7:49 AM.

Cool I spent some time this evening going through the whole thread reminiscing.

It was fun reading my own words and having the experiences play back in my minds eye reminding me how much enjoyment I got out of building the monster. The hours contemplating the possibilities and working out the logistics and engineering were nothing short of entertainment for me. As I mentioned several times during the build, it was not about the destination, albeit, for it to be a success it had to work as designed and intended. But if it wasnt fun then it fell short of the mark. It does the task I intended, even moreso than I had imagined. It would have been nice to have a remote potentiometer to more easily regulate the speed but the digital keypad worked just fine. Forgive my digression.

Back on topic, I would like to take a moment to say thanks for all the fine folks here that provided me with encouraging words, constructive criticism and wonderful commentary. It truly did accentuate the journey and make it all worth the while.

I got myself a kiln for my birthday this time last year and have been working on the learning curve of melting earth into a variety of 'things'. I just finished a wall clock and I plan on making more for friends and family. I might even sell some, and if that's the case, I promise to do my best to follow the rules of the forum should I decide to solicit them in this venue.

I'll try not to be such a stranger, Hey, I'll even get a pic of the clock. I'll start a new thread for that though.

God bless you all, may he keep you and yours safe; and yer saws sharp.

Mark
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-26-2012 at 7:47 AM.

Thanks for all the edits Mr keeton...

Monster lathe is free to a good home. e-mail me for details...triangle5@sti.net

Good bye.

Mark, I honestly hope you find a good home for this monster bowl lathe. It looks like you put a lot of hard work and deep thought into it. It is very kind of you to simply give it away. If it were closer, I'd get in line to snatch her up....like I need yet another lathe...but lathes like this don't just come around every day. Best of luck...not that you should need it. There ought to be a line around the corner filled with "takers".
    I drink, therefore I am.

I would take it in an instant if it werent so far away,,,, hey Mike, road trip? I have a truck if you have a heavy enough trailer for it. no idea how we would get it off or on the trailer though
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I have a truck, a trailer, and a tractor (for unloading). But I am NOT driving 3,000 miles for a lathe...sorry, dude. IF I were, when it came off the trailer, it would be going in MY shop!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mark, The beast will live in infamy on the creek and all of the great converstaions and posts on the thread were a ton of fun for all of us! I too have no need for another lathe, but for your creation I could make the exception, but like Mike and others have said the drive is a bit much for us on the far side of the continental divide! But let me think on this, if you could get me hooked up with some good gold panning in CA, that might pay for the trip and we would get to finally meet in person and I would be proud to shake your hand my friend!

If it does not find a good home by this fall (Cooler temps) I may convince my bride that it is a wonderful opportunity! Cross your fingers, but I am sure one of the local Creekers will beat me to it.

God bless and don't be a stranger like I have been for a while also,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Sorry, Jeff but I'm afraid I beat you to it....
    David DeCristoforo

You are taking it, DD? Awesome!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Congrats to David D! I look forward to you're visit and I'm glad it will be going to a good home.

Jeff, if I thought it would get you out here for a visit I would have told Dave to suck on rocks (in a nice way ). Remember, if you EVER decide to vaca in Yosemite, me Casa es su Casa! (btw, do you still have a walnut bowl with my name on it? I think I still owe you for shipping on the urn as well. Guess we are even.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    The beast will live in infamy on the creek and all of the great converstaions and posts on the thread were a ton of fun for all of us!
    That right there was the whole purpose. I said to myself "self, you could build it' and so it was to be.
    Its not always the destination but the journey to be cherished.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-11-2012 at 3:15 PM.

ulp!! thats it? whahappend?!!!

Roger, if this is what I think, it has gone on to David DeCristoforo where it was completed and, if I am correct, is in use now.
    I drink, therefore I am.