Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

Man, I spend a lot of time taking it all apart just to put it back together

The box that will house the big red "STOP" button

Getting ready to invert it for the casting..
    (I will take the pulley off the spindle) the spindle needs to be in place when casting the concrete to keep the pillow block bearings aligned.

The front...

and the back.

This will be the adjustable mounting for the motor tensioner:

Yeah, I'd think about getting it fabricated. I think the big oneway banjos are like 400$.
    Last edited by alex carey; 04-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    Yeah, I'd think about getting it fabricated. I think the big oneway banjos are like 400$.
    I'd be willing to bet a tailstock would run me $800

Wow, really its that much...that is depressing. That is like 1/8 the 24" lathe.

Dumb question; are you coating the fiberboard so it doesn't swell with the moisture from the concrete? Just asking b/c the(dry) yellow pine boards I had around my footing for my powermatic cupped so much afterwards that they were unusuable for even shelves.

Mark,
    Post a request for the items you need. I did and had great luck getting what I needed. I know there is one guy that has an extra Delta 16" tailstock he'd like to sell for $75 (though I can't remember his name and deleted his note). Sometimes folks end up with extra parts after warranty issues arise. The parts might not be ideal but usable with modifications (like a riser block for the tailstock).

Your lathe is coming along nicely!

Yes Nathan, coating the inside of the forms in one of the details that needs to be addressed.. and I am working on that. Its also why I went with the particle board for the stability of the material.

Thanks Dick,
    I'll consider posting a request for the tail stock and banjo but I think they will be fabricated. I have a guy that says he can do it and I believe he can so he will get a shot at it first.

I'm getting excited but I need to keep my cool and not jump the gun.

well i have a lather builder not 10 miles from here.. They have been building lathes since 62, and he might be cheaper than 1200 $ for the 2 things...
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

wonder how much shipping would be though?

no idea.. how much it would be
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Oneway banjo

Mark,
    I built my own lathe out of laminated plywood, not concrete. The laminated plywood cuts much easier than concrete on my table saw. ;>)

I did buy the Oneway banjo from Highland Woodworking, where it was a little cheaper than directly from Oneway. However, I just looked at both sites and the price was the same - $291US. Check the Oneway site for dealers and you may find it cheaper somewhere else.

The Oneway is a great banjo, although I did put a small spring on the bolt between the banjo and the plate that fits under the ways. This pushes them apart when the banjo is loose and keeps it from jamming when you try to slide it across the ways.

Good luck on building your lathe.

Take a good look at the Vega Bowl Lathe. The banjo looks fairly easy to copy and the tail stock might be adapted to your lathe.

The inspiration!!! The Vega

First off thanks all for the help!

Bob, It was the Vega 2600 that was the inspiration for me to build my concrete lathe and I "borrowed" a few ideas from that very machine. I was about to purchase one but wanted the VS version and at over $3k just a hair out of reach for me. Thats when I started looking at how simple the machine could be. The Vega just epitomized the simplicity that was needed for a dedicated bowl lathe and I was inspired. I have some engineering experience and am familiar with the mechanics and properties of the proposed materials. By post tensioning the pillow block bearings to the mass of concrete I have effectively wrapped the mass of the headstock column around the spindle. Thus the need for a beefy spindle and bearings. I'm dieing to get the concrete mixed and placed but I have a family of five and many other priority obligations.

And as someone said in the early stages of this thread I need to take my time and do it right the first time. I have been distracted from the original intent of the project and that is to make a machine that I could use to turn bowls and my mind wandered to the possibility of producing or otherwise profiting from my idea. That could be a good thing and may pan out and that would be cool but I need to take the project to completion and start making shavings LOL LOL ... Yeah, I am ready for the concreteIs it Friday yet? I just don't have the energy to do it on a weeknight after a long day at work. Mixing eight or ten bags of concrete is do-able if I was doing fence posts but placing it in the form and making sure all is right needs me to be at my best. I only have one shot at it really and I want to be proud of it. My flagship so to say..

I want to thank all you guys (and Gal) that have helped along the way with the suggestions and the words of encouragement.

Stay tuned. be sure to check back Saturday afternoon.. No I don't intend on milking the project anymore. I'm getting anxious.

I'm looking forward to Saturday Mark! This is one cool project!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rae View Post
    I'm looking forward to Saturday Mark! This is one cool project!
    Ditto! Very cool indeed!
    Blessings, Steve