Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

Mark, I’m kind of late to the party here, but I thought that I’d pass on this link to you:
    http://www.liamoneill.com/biography.html
    I had the pleasure of being a demonstrator at this year’s Irish symposium and I had the good fortune to spend some time with Liam O’Neill. For those that don’t know of Liam, he is one of the true legends in woodturning. He not only founded the Irish Woodturning Guild, he also played a part in the formation of the AAW. Liam’s current focus is on large outdoor sculptural pieces. There are a couple of photos of his concrete lathe set-up on his website. He’s an incredibly nice guy and I’m sure he would share his concrete lathe experiences with you.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Ray, A few months back Mark had some family issues to attend to and we are allowing him to get things back to normal. So we will have to wait and see what ever happened to the Concrete Beast.

Mark, If you are still checking in once in a while send me a PM or I will drop you and e-mail or something. I want to be able to get the bowl I am working on for you to you.

Take care and God Bless us all at this time of the year,

Jeff
    I'm here bro! And I have evicted the black widders from the workshop and got back into the swing of things. I have completed a couple of projects recently and I have plans for a friend of mine to come up and weld the ways on the beast so I can make wood spin once again.

Life is getting back on track for me and I will try not to be such a stranger here at the creek.

PM sent my friend.

Malcom, I will check out the link you provided I just wanted to reply to Jeff right away. You are not far from me, if yer ever in my neck of the woods please stop by and I'll let ya take the beast for a test spin, I still have some of the claro walnut and a wide selection of oak trees that are getting scared of me chain saw as I type this.

I'll start a new thread on my latest project(s) as time permits.

Next is a woodworking workbench. <looking around for plans>

Welcome back Mark! Looking forward to seeing your new projects!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I'm very happy that you're back to posting! Keep 'em coming ...

nice to have you back mark, hope all is well.

Glad to see you are back Mark !

Great to have you back Mark!
    Richard in Wimberley

Cool Thanks!!!

Thanks for the warm reception. Now that the weather is warming up I plan on spending more time out in the shop. I'll keep ya posted.

It is close to Easter.......

Mark, It is almost biblical or your absence and your fresh resurrection, we are all glad that life has gotten back to normal for you. Start a new thread so we can keep up this one is MASSIVE!!

Get spinning!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Wink No way,,,ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    ..... Start a new thread so we can keep up this one is MASSIVE!!

Get spinning!

Jeff

Why wood I want to start a new thread and let this one die Jeff?

Its my signature thread on the forum

I finaly got my buddy to drag his welder up the mountian and give me a hand welding up the ways for the beast. Took about two hours, measuring, aligning and welding it all up. I am very pleased with the final result. Using a digital level and ligning up the ways with the spinde within a 1/16" was easier than I thought. I'll be fabricating a tailstock and banjo soon.

I got a few pics with my cell phone, poor quality but better than nothing

My friend Paul posing for the camera after ligning up the ways:

After it was all tacked together Paul lays some beads:

Cutting off the extra 3/8" plate steel:

Need some clean up with a grinder and some paint:

More to come, I'll get some better pics after I clean up all the welds and give the steel a protective finish. I'll use a good automotive paint with hardner.

Hmmmm what color....certianly NOT yellow

Finally some ways!

Mark, I was just thinking it could go to part II so that we all don't get lost looking for where we are at on it. It has so many off shoots and quick replies that It sometimes takes me 10 min to see where you are at if I miss a post or have not checked in for a fe days.

But anyway, looks good on the ways and now you can do some spindle turning on the beast! I think the color should be the same as the Camaro was going to be with some nice pinstriping and stuff!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Talking Spot on with the color Jeff

It would be fitting to have the dark grey, I just might do that.

As for getting lost in the thread go to user control panel>edit options>thread display options>mode> choose linear - oldest first = and you will never get lost in another thread.

I have a thread at NastyZ that has gone +50k replies. its sort of a cyber bar where we just bs about daily life.

Want to see a pictorial Camaro restoration from start to finish? see Guy's project thread that is pushing 6k posts:

nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124724
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-28-2010 at 5:16 PM. Reason: removed direct link to another forum as per TOS

2683A is the # for the 24" toolrest base from Oneway, the price on the Oneway price list of December 2009 that I have here, is $291.95 Cnd.
    Have fun and take care

Thanks leo, but an extra $300 is not in the budget any time soon. I'll just fabricate something out of hardwood for both the banjo and tail stock. Finding the threaded bits for the tailstock will be the challenge.

Find an old wood or metal lathe that's scrap, and use the parts from the tailstock to use on yours, yes the Oneway isn't cheap, I guess you pay for what you get there :-))
    Have fun and take care