Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

I got the sheaves and bushings today!!

I can now finalise the spindle length and have it machined. Just as I calculated at 18".

I refined the tensioning mount some tonight, I'm liking it a lot too. With any luck I can spec the spindle tomorrow and pick it up Friday and I will be mixin concrete this weekend. if not,,,next weekend it will happen. A few minor details need to be worked out but for the most part I have it all figgured out...<--famous last words...lol
    Not enough progress to justify pics tonight but I have the camera at the ready

Stay tuned!!

I got the spindle!!!

The shop was apparently slow today. I stoped by on my morning break to order it and it was done by lunch time!!
    The thing is heavy 12.25 lbs! Cant wait to get home with it and see how it all looks with the last piece of the puzzle.

The two litre pepsi bottle is dwarfed by the size of the spindle...

O-Baby! I'm getting excited!!
    That looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederick View Post
    O-Baby! I'm getting excited!!
    You and me both Steve!
    Just got home with it and will be heading to the shop shortly. I have a bunch of other stuff to do this weekend but I think I'll find time Saturday to finish up the formwork and mix up the concrete Sunday morning.

I'll get a couple progress pics tonight and work on some details. I'm thinking of making provisions to mount the VFD on the front of the headstock column. I dont think vibration will be an issue for it....

I'll be back later with pics

A pictorial update on the progress...

I have an obsession with this stuff (building things) sometimes.
    Some beef going into this thing!

Ok now for the pics....

The pulley (sheaves) allignment is spot on! Keep in mind the form removal will move the jackshft bearings inward about 5/8"
    I'll fine tune the allignment when its all in final assembly.

This is a very interesting project! I appreciate your taking the time to document it for us. I look forward to each installment, keep it coming.
    Chris

I assume the spindle was machined to be a press fit within the pillow block bearings. What were your specified measurements there? ID bearings and OD spindle?

Quite impressive!
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Thanks Chris,
    I appreciate the feedback. It motivates me to keep posting on the projects progress. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Thank you too Ben,
    Its not a press fit, the pillow block bearings have eccentric cam locks to hold onto the spindle (see the black collar on the bearing with the set screw). The design is quite simple and very effective. I just told the machinist what size pillow blocks I was using (1.750") and all he had to do was polish the 1.750 round stock. Makes for a real tight fit, which is a good thing.

I was busy with honey-do's today but I did make a lil progress

Mark,
    That box does not look sturdy enough for a lathe. I think you should fill it with concrete.

Might also want to spray all those shiny metal parts with Boeshield T-9 to keep them shiny. I use it on my drill press column and various other "non-working" surfaces. Just a thought.
    Richard in Wimberley

Hmmmm... concrete eh? I should have thought of that. lol

Thanks for the tip on the Boeshield T-9. I was wondering what to do with the spindle. The other metal parts will get a coat of automotive paint but I cant paint the spindle. Thanks again, I never heard of it but I googled it and looks to be just what I need!

I'm contemplating painting the inside of the 'box' prior to casting the concrete for a beter finish...man I make a lot of work for myself:crazy:

I have some time to spend on it today so lets see how far I get....

After another cup of coffee...

Stay tuned for the next installment...

Well, did you work this weekend??
    I'm jones-n for pics!!

I'm jones-n for pics!!

Sorry Steve, no pics, Nothing worth takin pics of really. I took it all apart and started sealing the inside of the forms with spray paint. I was eyeballing the lightweight auto body filler lol lol.

Working out a few minor details.
    I picked up a 2-gang box at OSH to house the big red stop button today.

I think I will make provisions to mount the VFD to the face of the headstock just below the stop button. I really don't expect much vibration on the beast. and I can always extend the wiring and mount it remote at a later date.

Going out there in a few to putter a bit. If I get it all back together this week... well,,, fingers crossed...

I'm jones-n for pics!!

OK,,, ok,,
    I just had to oblige...not much but its pics

the skeleton..

And I put the big red stop button in a plastic box, it will be cast into the concrete..

Im gonna sacrafice ten feet of my welder extension cord to use as a pigtail.

Time for bed now so I'll see what I can get done tomorrow...and the next day,,,,and the next...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norman View Post
    OK,,, ok,,
    I just had to oblige...not much but its pics
    But I appreciate it! Thanks for the effort to share this with us.