Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a first compressor and brad nailer

looking for a first compressor and brad nailer

I working on a project that could use a brad nailer and I think it's finally time to get one. Things that are important to me include portability and noise level. The latter will make the whole idea more palatable to my spouse.

While brad nailing is the application I need right now, I can envision an occasional need to put some nails into the outside of the house too (with a different nailer). Putting up a piece of siding or trim, either wood or cement fiberboard would be most common. It wouldn't ever be a huge amount and I wouldn't mind waiting for the tank to fill.

I've been eyeing a combo kit by Senco, the PC0947. It includes a 1 gal., 1 HP compressor that is 20 pounds and is reportedly quite quiet. This also comes with a Senco Finish Pro 18 brad nailer.

There are also combo kits by Bostich and PC. Bostich is definitely a better bang for the buck: if I get refurbished, I can get a brad nailer, stapler, and finish nailer for about the same price. But the reviews indicate quality is hit or miss and the compressor is loud and heavier.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

One other question. Are the 'No-Mar' feed on these nailers usually removable? For my current project I'll need to get into small corners for some toe nailing (building a small torsion box) and it looks like the no-mar foot would preclude this. If it's removable, however, then it probably will work fine.

thanks!
    tom

One thing to look for when purchasing is the UL Listing mark. As a UL employee who works on air compressors, I'm probably a little biased, but some of the things that can go wrong with an air compressor and associated tools can be quite nasty. With the trend towards cheapening things, they are starting to try to cut more corners that might effect safety.

the thomas air compressor isn't cheap but it's much more quiet than cheaper models like the PC pancake compressor which i have now completely housed in it's own cabinet to muffle its deafening roar.

I have the little Senco compressor and brad nailer. I have used it in household work like making trim on shelves,etc.. Not enough to rate its durability,but so far it has worked just fine. Very easy to carry about,and not very noisy at all.

I bought a porter cable pancake comp/18gage brad nailer and 16 gage finish nailer. It works really well. the compressor seems to fill up quick and the guns are great. The only mark they leave is where the nail goes in. The compressor is loud though.

I have used bostich nail guns a few times. I own a bos roofing nailer. There good guns. A compressor can only be so quiet. I'm sure one could be quieter than the other but I think it will still be load no matter what.

I would get the bostich combo that includes a finish nailer and a brad nailer.

I have the senco 0947. Handy little bugger and a nice deal with the gun. I use it with a 23g pin nailer and an 18g crown stapler. Don't use it a lot, but so far it does exactly what it's supposed to.

I have a Makita mac2400 compressor and a Hitachi brad nailer.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400.../dp/B0001Q2VPK
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT50AE...dp_ob_title_hi

I would highly recommend both. The compressor is very well built, and runs extremely quiet. If noise level is a concern for you, this is the compressor to get. Cast iron oiled pump, etc. As Frank and Keith already said, stay away from the PC(and pretty much all pancake compressors) if you don't like noise.

Both have many positive user reviews; deserving so. If you wait, both will be a little cheaper on Amazon. I believe I got the compressor for $240, and the nailer for $63.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Chris Allen; 03-08-2009 at 7:05 PM.

PC here. Bought the 16, 18,ga guns, and have added staplers and a 23 ga since. Keep the guns oiled and the comp. drained.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have the PC pancake and an 18 gauge brad nailer -- very good. My FIL has the Husky brand compressor with an 18 gauge Bostitch -- also very good. The Bostitch will fire longer brads than my PC. Both are loud, but as was mentioned, pancakes are loud. Actually, if I remember correctly from my research when I bought mine, expect any oiless compressor to be loud.

(And since your post didn't mention where you are from -- on the off chance you are in Tidewater, VA, the Newport News HD has the PC three gun and compressor on its clearance rack. I think it is the display model.)

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

check out harbor freight for their air nailers. they work awesome

I bought this compressor a few years ago.........

http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand...6601389&sr=8-1

I absolutely love it. It's oil lubricated and not that loud. Has a real quick cycle time, about 15-20 seconds. Fills up in about a 60-75 seconds. Awesome compressor.

I got a Craftsman combo kit about 7 years ago. A 6 gallon pancake compressor with an 18 gauge brad nailer/stapler. The compressor is pretty much identical to the PC combo kits I've seen at the BORG, and the Craftsman nail gun is good but lower quality than the PC.

They've endured moderate use over the past few years, and I've been very happy with both of them. I can offer a couple of general comments on this type of oil-free compressor since I also have an old 10 gallon oil-filled compressor in my shop.

Oil-free compressors are loud! There is no way of getting around that. When the pancake compressor kicks off you can hear it everywhere in the house, and when the oil-filled compressor runs, you can hardly hear it even standing right next to it. The difference is like night and day. It's heavier, of course, but it also never moves from the shop.

Also, keep in mind that the air capacity of a small compressor is very limited. You may only notice it when you're doing a lot of nailing or when you're using a die grinder, air saw or cut-off tool.

As a sometimes-hobby metal worker I have noticed the limitations when using air tools to grind and polish. The pressure in the small compressor begins to go down immediately, and the motor has to run constantly to keep up with even light usage. As a result, I hook up my two tanks to give me a 16 gallon total capacity when I need it.
    Last edited by Quesne Ouaques; 03-10-2009 at 8:29 AM. Reason: Minor correction

Get the Makita Hotdog and an 18ga nailer that'll shoot up to 2.5". That'll last you for a while.

I got the PC pancake compressor package that came with a 18 gauge brad nailer, a 16 gauge finish nailer, and a crown stapler. Got it on clearance a couple of years ago for about $200 and it has been awesome.

Take a look at the Ridgid brad nailer. Has 5/8 to 2-1/8 inch range. This is what I bought about a year ago and it has performed well since then.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R213BNA-Nailer/EN/index.htm