Thread: new turner

new turner

I just bought a used jet 1442 and have a few tools.I can't wait to start turning.
    This is what I have now

lathe
    Ellsworth gouge
    1/8 parting tool
    3/4 roughing gouge
    1/2 round nose scraper

What I think I need

8 inch bench grinder
    Wolverine jig
    vari-grind??? do I need this?
    4 jaw chuck, It seems like the best way to turn bowls
    skew
    Any suggestions? additions?i would like to do mostly bowls and my son would like to try his hand at making duck and goose calls.
    This is a great forum can't wait to show my work and get suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bouchelle View Post
    I just bought a used jet 1442 and have a few tools.I can't wait to start turning. Welcome to the Creek!! Start easy, and watch turning videos on you-tube. Get some hands on help if possible.
    This is what I have now

lathe
    Ellsworth gouge
    1/8 parting tool
    3/4 roughing gouge
    1/2 round nose scraper All good tools to have. I use this little scraper to hollow out the inside of small boxes and coffee scoops.

What I think I need

8 inch bench grinder
    Wolverine jig
    vari-grind??? do I need this? Some may tell you that you don't need a varigrind... to do it by hand... but I use it because the grind is more consistent than hand-grinding for me. I'm glad I bought mine.
    4 jaw chuck, It seems like the best way to turn bowls I have the SuperNova2s, and really like them. I also have the NovaTitan for 16" and larger bowls.
    skew
    Any suggestions? additions?i would like to do mostly bowls and my son would like to try his hand at making duck and goose calls. Doug Thompson gouges can't be beat. I suggest a 1/2", 3/8" bowl gouges, and at least a 1/2" spindle gouge for the smaller things like calls and such.
    This is a great forum can't wait to show my work and get suggestions
    I'm sure some others will chime in here with more suggestions, and again, Welcome to Sawmill Creek. You can't find a better bunch of guys to chat with.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Charles - Welcome to the Creek!

I would suggest getting the vari-grind attachment as it allows you to quickly repeat grinds on your gouge.

Only other thing I can think of to consider is some form of breathing/face protection.

Would suggest you visit your local AAW turning club. Lots of great folks out there willing to help get you started!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I forgot to add that I have a face shield

Charles, welcome to the creek!! I am a recent convert to the round side, and it is good to have another newbie in the fold! It is a blast, and you will get a lot of great support from this bunch!

Charles welcome to SMC. I agree with getting the wolverine Vari-grind as it will help you get consistant grinds on your tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome. I would add DUST MASK(s) and Norton 3X sanpaper in 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, and 400 grit. You can do a lot of hand sanding and the Norton 3X has given me excellent service. I buy the full sheet and cut in 6 pieces and fold those pieces in 1/3. I have a couple of angle drills and sanding discs but find that I can do hand sanding on round surface almost as fast as the power sanding.

Welcome aboard Charles.
    I'm not sure if the Vari-grind will work for the Ellsworth Signature Gouge or not. Maybe someone else knows. David Ellsworth sells a jig specifically for that gouge.

Hey!

I agree with the Ellsworth sharpening jig and the mask. I had to adapt mo Wolverine jig to do the sharpening on the gouge. You may also want some instructions on how to use it: get the Ellsworth signature gouge video. They sell it at www.iamplify.com. Get Ellsworth's book too!

Best Regards in your learning trip! Enjoy the process and make tons of shavings!!!!!

M