OK, I need some help here. Sorry ahead of time, ....no picture.

My brother has a grinder that he offered to me. He inherited from the previous owner of his house who stole it from Kodak in the 60's. It has a tag on it that says it is some kind of optical grinder. It has a vertical stone, (sits upright like a tire) that is white and a water cup that drips on the face of the stone (the tread area of a tire). Below the cup is an adjustable table that looks just like what you might see on a stationary belt sander.

He never used it, but we thought it might be able to be used as a chisel sharpener.

Here are the open questions as I see it;

1) I assume you can't use an optical grinding wheel as a sharpening stone? I guess it is the wrong material, grinding glass would probably require a different wheel than for grinding steel, right?

2) Again, assuming I need it, where can I go to get a new grinding wheel? What kind of grit would I need? I'm not looking for scary sharp, but I enjoy a good sharp tool. I realize sharpening chisels is a process and this one stone is only a step in the sharpening path.

3) What kind of speed should I be looking for on the wheel. Maybe an optical grinder moves too fast or too slow for sharpening steel.

4) If this works, I'd like to get some sort of fixture to make sure I'm keep the correct angle on the face of the chisel. Any suggestions?

5) I also assume I will need some sort of dresser to keep the grinding face flat. Any suggestions?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil