Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first gloat!

My first gloat!

I'm not a "gloaty" kinda guy, but today I feel like a proud papa!

The new Grizzly (G1023) cabinet saw arrived today.

The UPS driver had lots of fun unloading it in the falling snow!

Was dying to put it together tonight, but decided to wait for a warmer (and dryer) day. Perhaps tomorrow.

YIPPEE!!

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice.

You have more restraint that I would. I'd be out there 'til all hours of the morning.

Oh, and a gloat of my own.....It's was a beautiful 79 degree here day today. So there!

Im with Chris, Id have to be out there getting it together!! I cant stand to wait for stuff like that!!
    Congrats on the new saw!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

+ 3 on the assembly all-nighter.

Congratulations on the new tool.

Shoot...that saw is more than an all nighter. Have fun and start the clock we will see. Bring you snickers bar though because you won't be going anywhere in for a while
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

6. I know the feeling, mine arrived early December, but I waited a month before bolting it together, mostly because of space issues, and because it was about 10 degrees in the shop all month

I want more info. Is that the left tilt? Did you get an extension table also? does the extension table also have a port for a router?

Thats like saying your wife had the baby and not telling us boy or girl.

cograts! I bet you'll love it.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new table saw. Nice first gloat!!!

nice gloat, I know you will love it. I would build a fire and be out there with it till the end
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Ooooooh. Woooooooow!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

10", Left-tilt, 3HP, 220v single-phase. Got it with the 30" rails (not enough room for 50"). Grizzly had a free shipping deal going.

I have a Bench Dog CI router table wing that I'm planning to use. I also have a new Biesemeyer fence, but haven't decided whether to install it or use the Shop Fox that came with the saw (the Shop Fox won't require any drilling, so.....).

Either way, there will be a fence on Craigslist in the near future.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I want more info. Is that the left tilt? Did you get an extension table also? does the extension table also have a port for a router?

Thats like saying your wife had the baby and not telling us boy or girl.

cograts! I bet you'll love it.

You're right about that! I spent a good 3 hours last night and this is as far as I got (pictures). That waxy/greasy stuff they coat the cast iron with is a real "bear" (get it?? ooohhhh....) to get off. Had to use mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad and lots of scrubbing.

Waiting for my new straightedge and shim stock from Lee Valley before I can proceed any further. Sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Shoot...that saw is more than an all nighter. Have fun and start the clock we will see. Bring you snickers bar though because you won't be going anywhere in for a while
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-11-2009 at 9:49 AM.

Got the new Griz all put together and dialed in today!

The splitter sucks! No surprises there.

Installing the Biesemeyer was a bit of a pain. Had to drill new holes in the cast iron table and wings in order to mount the rails. Had a couple of "misfires," so of course there's an extra hole or two. Luckily, you can't see them.

Looking at the Shop Fox fence that came with the saw (which would have bolted on without any drilling), I'm not sure the Biesemeyer was worth the extra effort, but we'll see.

Also installed my older Bench Dog "Pro Max" CI router table that I had on my older contractor saw. Only a couple of complaints about this. First, I can't mount it on the left side of the saw because the saw's motor housing is in the way. I would've preferred it on the left. Also, because I had to mount it on the right side, my knuckles occasionally bang into the router when I use the bevel wheel to tilt the blade. The Biesemeyer fence rails are also now obstructing the miter T-track, so I have to make a couple of notches in the rails to get a miter gauge in there. Also, I had to enlarge the bolt holes in the Bench Dog in order to get the top flush with the rest of the saw's table. Lastly, I can no longer hang the fence on the "hooks" on the underside of the router table because the Bies fence rails are in the way.

All in all, though -- it's a pretty nice setup! I'm sure this saw will last me for quite a few years.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I'm not a "gloaty" kinda guy, but today I feel like a proud papa!

The new Grizzly (G1023) cabinet saw arrived today.

The UPS driver had lots of fun unloading it in the falling snow!

Was dying to put it together tonight, but decided to wait for a warmer (and dryer) day. Perhaps tomorrow.

YIPPEE!!

J

14. You must be pretty tall...

I noticed the stand at the bottom of your new saw. Is that a back saving measure?

Yes, actually.

I'm 6'4", so I built the stand to get the table height up to 40". I'm planning to build a mobile base that will get the saw up to that height and also provide some storage.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I noticed the stand at the bottom of your new saw. Is that a back saving measure?