Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Belt or Apron For the Shop

Quote Originally Posted by chris padilla View Post
    she hasn't see me in one...and we'll just keep it that way, okay, bro?! :d

:d ................
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-10-2009 at 3:33 PM.

I actually went "redneck" and started wearing bib overalls. Lots o pockets right up front on the chest, as well as the standard pockets on side and back.

I used to have a big issue with my ipod cables snagging or being in the way (adult ADD), but having it up high reduces the chance of it tangling.

I carry about 40 pencils, (down to about 1 by end of day), tape measure, safety glasses (usually riding too high on my hat protecting the top of my head.......), drill/driver bits and my dial calipers.

Git r done.

Folding rule in a back pocket, pencil in a shirt pocket. Main tools are on my bench or nearby - those include tri-square, marking knife, Tite-mark gage, small engineer square. Aprons are more for carpentry tasks than furniture/cabinet building. For those tasks, simply a several pocket single apron, with a hammer loop and pockets for nail sets, nails, utility knife, tape rule and square.

T.Z.

All I carry in the shop is a pencil, tape measure, and DC remote. My bench has all the other supplies I need in it.

So I use this:

I liked it so much I bought several more and gave one to my brother who does remodeling. He liked it so much that he bought several others for the business and for his hobby woodshop.

Todd
    Todd Crow
    Northern MN

I wear this apron when working with machines. It's pretty tough - like, bullet-stopping tough. By the time I move to the bench, I've usually taken it off. It does snag on things sometimes, but not too bad, and I've gotten really used to having certain things "on me".

I saw Keith's post though, and may try the pouch. The only things I usually carry in the apron are pencils, tape measure, DC remote, 3" engineers square, wixey angle doo-hickey, and sawdust. The trouble with the apron are the times when I *don't* have it on. Then I'm trucking across the shop to find the DC remote....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I go a different route and wear Carhartt carpenters pants when im in the shop. The loop may or may not have a hammer in it, pencils and a screwdriver(s) go on either side pocket and the tape gets hooked on the coin pocket. Speed square may even be tucked in the back pocket if im doing rough work.

At 40$ a pair, theyre a great deal and supercomfortable

PS

I always hated wearing an apron or tool belt around the shop but alway had heck keeping up with pencils, tapes and small squares until I saw this vest from McFeeley's I got it a couple of years ago and really like it. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1580...Roughneck-Vest One thing I really like about it but it never occured to me until after I got it is that for us guys you don't have to take it off to take care of business (notice the front pockets to the side).
    Last edited by David Duke; 03-10-2009 at 5:23 PM. Reason: added another thought
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    I always hated wearing an apron or tool belt around the shop but alway had heck keeping up with pencils, tapes and small squares until I saw this vest from McFeeley's I got it a couple of years ago and really like it. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1580...Roughneck-Vest One thing I really like about it but it never occured to me until after I got it is that for us guys you don't have to take it off to take care of business (notice the front pockets to the side).
    David, now that there "biznitch" thing's got some merit to it, it does! Eeenterestin', veeelly veelly eeenterestin'....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I realized after reading the thread that there is a difference between working "in" the shop or working "out of" the shop. When I am building a house and doing trim I normally wear my tool belt. I drag my big slider, contractor saw and portable planer on the job. I make a huge mess with out a DC unit, especially when building closet pacs from Medite. Now here at my house I have my full quiver of tools at my disposal so I am in and out of the shop all day. The house is 100 feet long from end to end with the shop being at the far end. So I put alot miles in every day. I need to keep the basics on me but the belt sucks "in" the shop. I see some pretty cool ideas here for aprons and think I will go the vest route with a skillers or the one from WoodCraft.

Hello,
    I actually went "redneck" and started wearing bib overalls
    +1 on the bibs.

I don't remember a whole lot from shop class some 40 years ago, but I do recall that we were told never wear loose clothes, long sleeves, jewelry, aprons or anything else that could get snagged by a power tool.

I do have a HF apron I wear when doing odd tasks, but, whenever I fire up the larger tools it comes off.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Smile leather apron

just received a leather apron from cw mcclellan.has plenty of pockets and the straps are wide and adjustable with clips instead of tying in the back.sure beats the canvas one i have with the thin string.cw did a great job.just like the one he donated for the free stuff drawing.

I use an apron that the straps cross your back. Works very well.

Shopsmith has this model available and will be my next when a new one is needed.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...itileapron.htm
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stobb View Post
    This is all I ever really need to have on me. Its small, out of the way and does not fill with sawdust. I have an eraser and a scribe that you can't see in the big pocket. Everything else is just to big and bulky. First thing I do is put this on when I get in the shop, and last thing I take off before the lights go down.
    Kevin, based on your pic and recommendation I ordered one from Amazon and LOVE IT

Much lighter than my tool belt and easy to swap out task specific tools (like when I was doing electrical work). Of course that almost got me in trouble when I forgot I wore it into Lowes and the cashier thought I was trying to pull a fast one

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    David, Woodcraft sells that one and a Blaklader Kangaroo Vest which is lighter and sand-colored. I like that the weight is evenly distributed across the shoulders and the pockets open when bending over.

I picked one up but it is still in the bag since I am finding the $8 Bucket Boss Rear Guard holds all I need and I can spend that $45 better elsewhere.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.