Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Belt or Apron For the Shop

Tool Belt or Apron For the Shop

I was just reading another thread about "Good Light Weight Finish Hammer" and Rick Lucrezi mentioned starting another thread about what kind of tool belt or apron they wear in the shop.

So I am doing so.

I am a hobbiest who ears a two pocket construction belt around the waist with a set of suspenders to take the load off my back. I typically only carry my ear protection, dust collector remote, pencils, nail sets, square, a flat blade and phillip screwdriver, a knife, a 16 oz. hammer, and tape measure so the load isn't signicant. However, I always seem to be getting the tool pouches caught on stuff in the shop.

What do you guys use?
    Wood'N'Scout

I have a shop coat and an apron. The tools I use for a project are usually on the work bench within easy reach. The less I have to carry around, the better.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I agree with Myk. I use a shop apron. I can't imagine using a tool belt in the shop. If I was on a job site, I'm sure the tool belt would be great.

If you're going to buy a shop apron, pony up for a good one. I made the mistake of buying a cheap apron the first tim. The pockets blew out within a couple of weeks.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Apron with only a pencil pocket.

If the apron comes with lower pockets, I cut them off. They only get caught on stuff. I build furniture and all of my tools are either stationary or close by.

I always think of a tool belt associated with construction type work where you are working on/in very large areas and pretty much use the same tools consistantly.

So, the answer would be the typical "depends on what you do".
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 03-09-2009 at 9:46 PM.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I use my pockets

I don't carry around anything, beyond my mechanical pencil. I have a workbench with drawers.

I wear a Skillers tool vest in the shop. I love it. It's over 30 years old and still works great. I've repaired it many times with hot melt glue. I can afford a new one, but my dad grew up in the depression and he taught me right!

My shop is 1200 square feet and it saves a lot of steps.

I have boxes of screws that fit the pouches, very handy when building something big. So nice to have the right screw or tool within reach,rather than 10 or 30 feet away.
    The vest is more comfortable than a tool belt because the weight hangs from the shoulders.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.

I bought a Carhart tool apron but seldom use it. When I do wear it I pull it around to my side, it seems to be less in the way there.
    We have but one chance at every moment that passes by.

Recent thread on the subject... http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99407

Popular Woodworking had a review of shop aprons in their June 2003 issue. I can't hit their site from here but a quick search found this link to a pdf which should work.

I'm trying to make the same decision, narrowed it down to:
    Hartville Canvas Shop Apron
    Duluth Canvas Bib Apron
    Duluth Best Damn Fire Hose Apron
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Leather apron purchased from Garrett Wade years ago. Good defense against errant chisels. No lower pockets. Only tools carried in/on it are a pencil, 6" flexible rule, scriber, and sometimes a tape measure clipped to the waist strap.

I carry a mechanical pencil and a 6" ruler in my Lee Valley shop apron.

Everything else is at hand since I'm working in a shop....Rod.

Blog Entries
    I prefer wearing this Veritas tool belt from Lee Valley.
    It also helps keep me steady while working on my table saw or jointer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is all I ever really need to have on me. Its small, out of the way and does not fill with sawdust. I have an eraser and a scribe that you can't see in the big pocket. Everything else is just to big and bulky. First thing I do is put this on when I get in the shop, and last thing I take off before the lights go down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you don't do with your head you'll have to make up for with your feet.

My wife made me a shop apron which I wear occasionally. The only thing I carry in the pockets seems to be sawdust.

On the other hand, if I could find a little clip on holster for my Bosch 10.8V driver... That I would carry...

When my son and I walk into the shop we put on our Woodcraft shop aprons. They have upper pockets and lower pockets. In the upper pockets we keep, pens, pencils, and a 6" metal ruler. In the lower we keep a 12' tape measure, and the remote for the dust collection. This leaves 2 pockets empty for whatever else the project may require, usually nothing that isn't within reach. The apron is also a safety item I bought after my first kickback (10 mins after putting together my first table saw).