Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Belt or Apron For the Shop

Tried a small tool pouch years back. Nope
    Tried a apron here while back. Nope

All I have is a clip on my belt for a tape, and my hat to hold my pencil behind my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I am a hobbiest who wears a two pocket construction belt around the waist with a set of suspenders to take the load off my back. I typically only carry my ear protection, dust collector remote, pencils, nail sets, square, a flat blade and phillip screwdriver, a knife, a 16 oz. hammer, and tape measure so the load isn't signicant. However, I always seem to be getting the tool pouches caught on stuff in the shop.
    That's exactly what I wear minus the suspenders. I've been wearing a tool belt for so long I feel naked without it. You do catch things on it once in a while, but I never have to remember where I set my tape or where that blasted pencil went.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

I sometimes use my BucketBoss shop apron. It's comfortable (doesn't ride up on my neck) and it carries what I need - lots of pencils, a few sharpies, a 6 inch starrett rule, lots of sawdust in the pockets, and whatever small bits I am using/needing. I will periodically leave a tape measure, or a small hand plane in there, but only if I will constantly be using it and don't want to run around to figure out where I "Just" put them down.

When I am finishing in my "nicer" clothes, I have a long shop apron that covers up my front from damage from the accidental bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    All I have is a clip on my belt for a tape, and my hat to hold my pencil behind my ear.
    Ditto...except I hang my 12' tape on my watch pocket.

I wear a tool belt when doing outside carpentry but I can't see the practicality of one in the shop. I mean, even if you don't have something handy, how far away can it be for most of us? It's not like our shops are these big cavernous buildings with yards of room between tools.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I don't like aprons or tool belts in the shop. I like vests like Mr. Lie Nielsen wears. Comfortable, pencil and 6 inch rule in chest pockets, small tape in one lower pocket, 4 inch square in the other.

I wish someone would make a vest specifically for the shop. Pencil slots at the chest, a couple super magnets sewn in to hang small rules, and 2 lower pockets sized just right for small tapes and small squares. Not overdone with 104 pockets! A shop friendly fabric that is tough and isn't a dust magnet. 2 versions - warm for winter and mesh backed cool version for summer. And appearance suitable to wear to town - I'd probably wear one all the time.

I have used one of these for the past year and cannot live without it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...ture=&kw=apron

Pencil, Tape Measure, DC Remote, 4" engineer square, Pencils, Sharpie, Sheetrock knife always with me.

My shop is usually a mess and when I put something down it disappears so this has been a huge time saver for me

Blog Entries

Tactical blouse or shirt

I use a full tool belt on the site. I need it, love it, keeps everything close. In the shop I usually do not carry anything that will not go in a shirt pocket. But...
    My father gave me a 5.11 tactical blouse or shirt it is fantastic. I would like to get one for everyday of the week. Rugged, comfortable, pen pockets in the sleeve, and 4 pockets on the chest.
    Definitely worth trying out.

I mentioned this in the previous thread but I never wore one until Festool came out with one and so I decided to try it.

I'm a convert now! It is really nice having everything I need on my person. Cody, I may have my shop in a 20x20 garage but I'm terrible for putting things down and not being able to locate them again. I seriously bet you that wearing an apron probably saves me 1-2 hours of total time per week that I would waste looking for my stuff.

I'll be an apron wearer from here on out. Besides, LOML likes how I look in one!

About the only thing I don't like about the Festool apron is that if I need to bend over to pick something up off the floor, and I'm not careful, my apron will empty.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

pouch

I've been wearing an apron for the last two years and I'm sick of it. It always bears on my neck, the top of my rule gets caught on stuff and it's hot in the summer. As soon as I saw the pouch kevin linked to I found it on amazon, I'm going to buy it after writing this post. It looks like it will hold the things I keep in the apron, and be a lot less annoying. It's only $9 so it can't hurt too much if I'm wrong.

Andy

Here's a thread started a few years back discussing the same topic: http://http://www.sawmillcreek.org/s...t=62349&page=4

....There you'll find an extremely handsome guy modeling a few options!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'll be an apron wearer from here on out. Besides, LOML likes how I look in one!
    Hey, I'll bet it is cute with that French maid outfit.

Sorry, Chris, I couldn't resist.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Hey, I'll bet it is cute with that French maid outfit.

Sorry, Chris, I couldn't resist.
    Sorry, Buddy, I don't kiss and tell.... Okay, back on topic!

Same as Myk for me. I have the apron and "Worth a Damn" shop coat from Duluth Trading Co., out of the firehose canvas material.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have a shop coat and an apron. The tools I use for a project are usually on the work bench within easy reach. The less I have to carry around, the better.
    Here's the apron.

The shop jacket appears to be discontinued. Too bad.

I only carry basic small tools, nothing as big as a square.

I carry:

• A conventional pencil
    • A carpenter's pencil
    • A 0.5 mm lead mechanical pencil
    • A tape measure
    • An eraser
    • A 6" ruler
    • Earplugs
    • Folding utility knife

Everything else I typically use is mounted on a tool rack to the wall above my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

Tsk tsk. Oh Brother Chris, what does mom think about that.

She hasn't see me in one...and we'll just keep it that way, okay, Bro?!