Thread: Grizzly shipping report

Grizzly shipping report

Fellow creekers –
    I followed with great interest the reports of others who had purchased new tools only to have the shipping gods wreak havoc on them in transit. I admit I was more than a little apprehensive purchasing my 1st new major tool from Grizzly as they have often been featured in the “trashed in shipping stories” – although to be fair to Grizzly it could just be due the volume of their sales and not a higher than normal damage rate. One of the frequent comments of those who had shipping damage to their Grizzly tool was the flimsy cardboard packaging used that did not offer sufficient protection when subject to the indifferent handling of the trucking companies.

I was stressing all day today waiting for the delivery company to call, camera in hand and ready to document every package ding to cover my posterior. I was pleasantly surprised to find the 15” planer in a plywood crate with metal edge banding (picture attached). Removed the plywood and the planer is basically in perfect shape– a few paint rubs here & there (hey it’s a TOOL not a show car) but you have to get up close to even see them. I am feeling pretty good about the purchase

If this is indicative of how they are going to package their big tools from now on I am definitely going to keep them on the vendor list.

Will let you know how it runs when I get it setup and a 220 outlet run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like you said, I think you hear about shipping horror stories with every company. Grizzly machines are very popular, and there's gonna be more shipping damage with all that volume. It's also rare to hear about shipping unless it was bad.
    "Satisfied Customers Tell Three Friends, Angry Customers Tell 3000"

I have ordered 4 machines from Grizzly. Nothing was damaged. My bandsaw packaging had a pallet fork speared through the side, but it missed everything. This was obviously not Grizzly's fault. The shipping company's forklift wouldn't care what brand the machine was.

My [dad's] planer is a G1021 purchased in 1992. It's still a great planer! Enjoy yours, too!

--Jeff Wille
    Psychologists say the glass is half full. Engineers say the glass is full with a safety factor of 2.

Eric, glad to here that you had good luck getting your planer..BTW nice gloat

Ive had several grizzly tools and have had good luck with them and shipping
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

"– although to be fair to Grizzly it could just be due the volume of their sales and not a higher than normal damage rate. "

Good point, I haven't thought of it that way

Good luck with the new planer, I hope it meets and exceeds your expectations!
    don't forget the pics of your projects!
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Erik,

Congratulations. That scene looks awfully familiar. The 1021 is the only machine in my shop that was ready to go out of the box.....no adjustments needed (not counting the infeed/outfeed tables, of course).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Erik! May it serve you well!

Another point. People are more likely to join a forum and raise Caine if they have a bad shipping/equipment story ....than to join and salute a company if they have a good shipping/equipment story. Just the nature of some folks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This also mimicks the heavy duty crate that my jointer came in, on a beefy pallet. Grizzly did an excellent job for me.

This is not helping my frustration... thanks a lot!
    I need another beer.

Wanna receive my JP and drive it over to my house? San Diego is only 2692 miles away. I will pay tolls.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Dan I feel your pain dude

Your recent run of bad luck on shipping tools, as described on this board, was one of the things that made me concerned about my order. If I could share my good shipping karma with you I would - maybe the way to look at your current situation is "you have all this good luck... because you haven't used any of it yet".

I'd be glad to drive your tools east - I went to school in Annapolis and spent many an evening in Baltimore bars - it would be cool to visit my old stomping grounds though at 57 my partying days are long over.

I've never had shipping damage problems with Grizzly or Shop Fox. You're not likely to hear about shipping damage on items bought through a dealer b/c the dealer intercepts that damage before it reaches you. I think people are also far more likely to post a damage report than a non-damage report.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....