Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't bandsaw makers put a vernier on the table

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    Is this what your talking about. It is a picture of my Agazzani B-20. If you look to the right of the locking lever there is an adjuster you put a large Allen Wrench into and adjust with. Very handy, but I don't think I'd base a buying decision on it, especially with how infrequently I adjust my table.

Thanks John, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The use of this feature depends on the kind of work a person does. I do dovetails and make my own veneers so it would be very handy. Put the Wixley on the blade, put it on the table, zero it in and you have the same accuracy you have with a table saw. end of story. At what point is bump and check a better way, just curious? The Grizzly BS is a beautiful machine. Built better than many others in the same price range and you get the adjustability of the vernier. all things pretty much equal, this feature puts it over the top.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-10-2009 at 8:45 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Other than the Grizzly, I can't seem to find a bandsaw with a vernier to tilt the table. At least in a reasonable price. That, along with the fact that Griz makes a very nice bandsaw, is the deciding factor. The days of bump and check are gone, can someone wake up the Mfgs.
    Hi Bill, I remember looking at a General International 17" saw a few years ago and it had a rack and pinion to tilt the table.

I've also seen it on old saws so I don't think it's anything new, just useful.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I Don't Get Out Much! But, IMO, the term *vernier* is suffering misuse in the context in which it is being used! The gear-and-cog for fine adjustment of the saw table should be termed *Fine Adjustment Rack and Pinion*! For an understanding of what a true vernier scale IS, check out this site: http://www.tpub.com/math1/7e.htm

Vernier scales allow readings to be taken of *fractions* of .001" (or metric). What we see above on the Agazzani is only a protractor with a pointer. There is no true verner scale to find an exact reading between degree marks. Although the gear drive does help fine-adjust the table (without bumping), all adjustments are by *eye* and depend on an individual's perception of what *RIGHT ON* really is, although an exact 90 degree reference may have been set with a precision square.
    Chip you are absolutely correct. I was just showing what I believed Bill was asking about, but a true vernier scale is much different. I have one on my Kreg Miter Gauge (if you click on this link and hover right below the handle it will allow you to play a clip on this feature.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/fea..._featuret.html

Bill, I use the bandsaw for a lot of joinery since I got this saw as it's precision is incredible, I don't do dovetails on the BS though as I have a D4 for that, so that's probably why I don't use the tilt feature much. No offense to the Grizzly but the Agazzanis and MM's are in a whole nother league (as their price would suggest), after buying one I know why Sam Maloof swears by his, and I wouldn't trade it for the world, with or without the rack and pinion tilt.