Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't bandsaw makers put a vernier on the table

Blog Entries

Why don't bandsaw makers put a vernier on the table

Other than the Grizzly, I can't seem to find a bandsaw with a vernier to tilt the table. At least in a reasonable price. That, along with the fact that Griz makes a very nice bandsaw, is the deciding factor. The days of bump and check are gone, can someone wake up the Mfgs.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

give me my bump and check on my mm20 over grizz's table but it would be nice if they did

Go with a tilt box and zero it on the blade, and then measure the tilt on the table, and it will be more accurate, since you are measuring the table to the blade, rather than the table to the rest of the machine.

Well, the MM20 has a bolt that you can slowly twist up to dial things in but you still gotta check it with a good square.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Burns View Post
    Go with a tilt box and zero it on the blade, and then measure the tilt on the table, and it will be more accurate, since you are measuring the table to the blade, rather than the table to the rest of the machine.
    Even with a tilt box, you have to bump and check to set the angle. What Bill is talking about it is the ease of "dialing it in" with a vernier.

I have yet to see a vernier that reads correctly anyway. Band saws, table saws, etc. None seem to track right. I use my Wixey for everything.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Are you talking about a vernier or just a tilt gauge? The table stop should be set so the table is perpendicular to the band and the gauge to read zero in that position. From there, a scale in degrees is plenty accurate enough for a band saw.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 03-10-2009 at 1:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have yet to see a vernier that reads correctly anyway. Band saws, table saws, etc. None seem to track right. I use my Wixey for everything.
    Apparently, noone undestands what Bill meant by "vernier." Grizzly has a "Micro adjusting geared table tilting mechanism" aka vernier. It aids in positioning table tilt in small increments. A nice feature, btw.

I believe he is talking about a micro adjustment that Grizzly has on their better and bigger bandsaws. The feature lets you easily make micro adjustments. To be accurate you still have to use some measuring device, but it makes it easier to just "screw" the table into the right position. It's the same as raising and lowering the upper guides. On better machines you can use some kind of crank. On the smaller machines you have to "fiddle" with it while you measure. I would think it's a great device to have, although I've never had either the upper guard crank or the micro adjustment on the table. Wish I did.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Blog Entries
    I'm talking about setting my Wixley on the table and being able to turn a knob to adjust the table. No bumping anything. I don't have the ability to fint tune a bump from a 12th to a 10th degree every time. I want to set it once and keep working. Plus it's repeatable with one set and forget.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

If anyone is so inclined and just a bit clever, a high tpi bolt could be mounted at one end of the table (or under it) to allow microadjustments be made. A very simple one would only allow adjustments one direction but that should be fine and work well.

I don't have the ability to fine tune a bump from a 12th to a 10th degree every time.
    How do you zero the wixey to a 10th of a degree? (note: zeroing to the table at the 0 degree stop is not the right answer) Do you think you'll be able to notice the difference in results of a 10th of a degree? What are you trying to make?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 03-10-2009 at 6:34 PM.

Is this what your talking about. It is a picture of my Agazzani B-20. If you look to the right of the locking lever there is an adjuster you put a large Allen Wrench into and adjust with. Very handy, but I don't think I'd base a buying decision on it, especially with how infrequently I adjust my table.

I Don't Get Out Much! But, IMO, the term *vernier* is suffering misuse in the context in which it is being used! The gear-and-cog for fine adjustment of the saw table should be termed *Fine Adjustment Rack and Pinion*! For an understanding of what a true vernier scale IS, check out this site: http://www.tpub.com/math1/7e.htm

Vernier scales allow readings to be taken of *fractions* of .001" (or metric). What we see above on the Agazzani is only a protractor with a pointer. There is no true verner scale to find an exact reading between degree marks. Although the gear drive does help fine-adjust the table (without bumping), all adjustments are by *eye* and depend on an individual's perception of what *RIGHT ON* really is, although an exact 90 degree reference may have been set with a precision square.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-10-2009 at 8:26 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Very nice, John! I like that adjustment a lot over my MM20 but as some have said, one doesn't need to adjust the table all that much.