Thread: Looking for leads....

Looking for leads....

I have been offered a Coleman 80 gallon industrial compressor for free. Naturally it has issues. I'm interested in this as I've discovered spraying on finishes and my current compressor barely keeps pace w/ my HVLP conversion gun.

My bud got it free as well, the motor was shot and had been tossed to bad as the pully went with it... He's taken off the electrics and plumbing.

I would get the two stage compressor head and tank.

My first step, if I can find parts I can afford, is to get the tank tested. If it's weak, the whole deal is shot.

Assuming it's ok... I'll need to find inexpensive electrics and plumbing.

Anyone have any leads on a good source for an inexpensive motor? It came stock w/ a 5 or 6 horse 220v. I'll call Coleman monda for the specs, I'm sure it's a $250+ part and I just can't get there.

Anyway, tks for listening.

Joe in Tampa...

Joe, try searching on e-bay (for ex: on Baldor). I've seen some good prices on motors. Be sure it is single phase. Have fun, Harish
    Thanks,

Harish

Try Northern Industrial

That HP rating is a little missleading. That rating was for instantanious power rating and most likely did not say that on the motor spec plate. Most after market motors you will run across are rated at true horse power. If you try to buy a 5HP 1 phase motor you may find it very expensive. Usually $100/horse power for single phase. I don't know what the conversion would be from that instantanious rating to true HP but maybe some else on the forum would know.
    Roger

The WoodCrafter

I've been surfin Ebay pretty hard for the last few hours and there is quite a spread on motor costs....

A couple of sellers noted they specialized in discontinued items so I'll give them a ping on Monday.

Tks for lookin.

Joe

Joe,

I've had really good luck on eBay finding motors - just have to be patient. Also check out these vendors:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

I have purchased from them without any problems.

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

I have heard good things about thses guys, but no direct experience.

Good luck, Wes

Hi Joe I just re did a big compressor a couple years ago and I got all my parts from Harbor Freight for around 100.00 and they are holding up fine under pretty heavy use.
    Ps I really like the excalabor I bought from you thanks.

Joe,

Here's where I found a 5HP for my cyclone at a reasonable price.

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/

Hope this helps,

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scarfo
    Anyone have any leads on a good source for an inexpensive motor? It came stock w/ a 5 or 6 horse 220v. I'll call Coleman monda for the specs, I'm sure it's a $250+ part and I just can't get there.

Joe in Tampa...
    Joe,

How does $54.95 grab you?

The outfit is SurplusCenter.com. I've bought a couple things from them in the past with no problems.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

5 HP 230 VAC MOTOR
    NEW TAKEOFFS GE Special duty air compressor motor. Ideal air compressor replacement motor or for building equipment. Manual reset thermal overload protection.

SPECIFICATIONS <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=250>
    • Hp 5 special
    • Voltage 230 AC
    • Amps 15
    • RPM 3450
    • Rotation CCW
    • Phase 1
    • Hz 60
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width=250>
    • SF 1.0
    • Enclosure ODP
    • Duty Compressor duty continuous
    • Frame 56Y
    • Four bolt foot mount on centers from 3" x 4" to 3" x 5-3/4"
    • Shaft 5/8" diameter x 1-7/8" w/keyway
    • Size 10" x 6-1/2" x 8"
    • Shpg 35 lbs
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ralph - I'm glad you're liking the over arm guard.

Everyone else.. thanks for the leads on parts. I think this compressor sold in teh $1500 - $1800 range new and it would be a phoneminal upgrade for me.

I looked over a unit at the depot this morning and the lay out of the unit they had wasn't very sophisticated at all. I'm hoping I can use the same set up as on my 30 or so gallon upright. Get a pressure switch which also serves as the on / off switch.

I see some of the industrial units have magnetic switches, do I really need that kind of a set up here? I thought they provided a safety factor to keep devices from turning back on when power was lost.. ie on table saws, joiners, planers etc. Perhaps the mag switch is used to provide low voltage for a higher voltage relay which turns on the compressor? I still hope to avoid the costs and remain safe.

Tks for listening.

Joe

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by G.C. Wagner
    Joe,

Here's where I found a 5HP for my cyclone at a reasonable price.

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/

Hope this helps,

Gerry
    I second this! For a tad over $200, you can get the Lesson 5hp compressor motor recommended for the Pentz cyclone. It is 230V at 21amp, closer to 5hp than most. The frame has standard mounting feet and a "C" end-mounting fixture in addition. It is a capacitor start and a capacitor run motor. Not as cheap as some, but you will get a new, quality product for sure. The motor is packaged well for shipping from EMW in Michigan.
    Best Regards, Ken

thanks everyone for your help with this.... I thought I'd pass on an upate.

Before getting to deep into this, I want to get the tank tested. I found a local company who will do this for $20. What a bargain...

Given all the kinetic energy in an 80 gal tank at 175 PSI, I want to make sure the vessel will hold. A catastrophic failure would be a significat event and pbly hurt someone... very seriously.

I need to figure out if the thing needs a clockwise or counter clockwise motor. I need a compressor, not a vacuum pump I hope the fly wheel is tagged with the direcctional rotation, the mfgr didn't know which is needs.

It was build Aug 25, '95 so it's almost 9 years old, I don't think that's to bad....

The mfgr also said the orig motor was a "peak" hp of 6.5 with a current draw of 22 amps. I sure wish she had known the rotation.... I'll call again later this afternoon, maybe someone will know how to read the specs and the frame type...

I'm assuming different mfgr's may be using different frame specs on the motor mount. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks again everyone for your help....

Joe