Thread: Help with Mortising Machine

Help with Mortising Machine

Hey All;

I was generously given a mortising machine a short while ago, and am trying to get it working, it is in great shape except for one thing. The drill bit portion of the chisel is not long enough to reach the chuck.

I am using the two chisels that came with the machine, and the previous owner has stated that it worked perfectly for him. When I insert the chisel, it goes in smoothly and seats fully, but the drill is only long inough to just barely touch the very bottom of the check. I have tried many times, removing and reinserting and nothing works.

HELP!

Here is a pic of the beasty.

Thanks
    Shawn
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

Shawn, the I have the Jet but the Shop Fox looks very similar. You said you had the chisel seated fully, what about the bushing that the chisel fits in is seated completely? Also, don't take offense for me asking but you are using the correct size bit for the chisel installed; my 1/4" chisel uses an obviously smaller diameter bit but it is also shorter than the 3/8".
    David

Hey David;

To the best of my knowledge the bushing is seated as well, I'll double check tonight. The bits and chisels came with the machine and cannot be confused due to size. They fit together perfectly, in fact now that I think of it the first time I set it up it worked and I was able to use it. Since then I cannot get the bits to reach the chick.

Shawn
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

If it worked for you the first time you used it then it has got to be something not seated correctly or at least I can't think of anything else.
    David

On the 651 model there is a spacer that is used below the bushing for longer bits. Not sure if your model has one or not, but if it does and you are using it, that's your problem.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I am not familiar with that particular brand but some mortising machines came with a chuck extender that was used with the smaller diameter bits. It was a piece that went on the spindle and then the chuck attached to it to space the chuck down a bit. If you have the instruction manual it shojld be listed in there if it is meant to have one.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"