Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unisaw belt issue

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    To those who still have the original 1940 zinc/aluminum arbor pulley on a Unisaw, soft metal is not guaranteed to wear evenly. It is one thing to keep a saw *original* and quite another to keep it *usable*! I would venture to say that a new steel pulley would solve problems that no brand of belt can??
    Happily even with almost 70 years of use my Uni passes the dime test with solid belts and the original pulleys. That's the beauty of the Uni - all that mass and a solid design soak up potential vibration that would make a modern contractors saw dance.

When I rebuilt it, I considered swapping the arbor pulley, but it's matched to its old school 1725 RPM motor pulley, and not buying it saves me money that can go into other machines (like my "new" 1952 HD shaper).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    Rather than the Fenner Power Twist (The correct name for the "link" belts), try the AX series of belts. The are a premium quality belt that is cogged and has machined sides and they are made to very close tolerances so that any of a given size will work as a matched set. I used the Fenner Power Twist for many years an almost all my machines, but have switched to the AX series of "V" belts as they are smoother and much quieter. Also, the power twist MAY and I say may cause premature wear on die cast pulleys as they are made form a very hard composite.

The AX series of belts are available from McMaster Carr and others and only cost a dollar or two more that a standard "V" belt from the hardware store.

CPeter
    Which size AX for the Unisaw...?

I think it is time to replace these 25 year old belts... helluva vibration after having set idle for over a year (long distance move). I let it run for awhile; it didn't improve...

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    Gates AX series belts meet the matched set specifications. They are the OEM for the last of the PM66s.

CPeter
    Peter,
    I think 3vx belts were used on the last of the PM-66s

However, I replaced the three wimpy 4L belts on mine with TWO AX belts.
    As you mentioned (and as you recommended) the AX belts are far superior. BTW, my pm-66 is a 5hp unit and the belts don't slip under heavy load!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Rowe View Post
    Noted that this was not specific to my post, but in my case my Unisaw was new and the belts were new - albeit mildly out of round. Certainly, comparing poor quality, worn, or in my case defective belts against a set of good quality non-defective belts is a faulty comparison.

To refine my point, besides that the Fenner belts work great and make a good alternative to traditional belts, is that new belts don't necessarily equal quality or that they don't have a set. Either of which would create vibration or noise under load. New saw owners who experience these symptoms should not assume that simply because their belts are new that they are not the cause of noise/vibration. The out of round condition of my Unisaw's factory belts were visually mild, but firm. I could see how one might deduce that the weight of the motor would easily remove the mild set and eliminate it as a possible cause of the noise/vibration.

The Gates brand belts which were factory installed on my saw took a set in the short time they were installed on my Unisaw. I carefully inspected them and found no visible signs of wear or other defect other than their oval shape. I carefully marked the apex of the set and rotated the three belts 120 degrees from each other to equalize the oval shape, and while this reduced the vibration and noise; it remained unacceptably high.

I'm sure had I replaced the factory belts with new Gates belts, not out of round, the saw would run fine - as Pete points out. I do believe that, given the design difference between traditional belts and the link belt, that the link belts are less susceptible to taking a set.

So, if you suspect your belt driven tool should be running more smoothly, look at the belts. Don't assume that just because they aren't horribly out of round, or that they don't have loose threads everywhere - that they aren't the problem. As for what you replace them with - there are choices, just don't try to solve it on the cheap.
    I had the same problem with a brand new set of belts from Delta on my 70's Unisaw- I installed them, it ran smooth. I went away for two weeks and it shook like an overloaded Huey. The belts took a set.

The other thing to watch out for is that your pulleys aren't loose on the shaft and that your bearings are ok.

My inclination would be to snug up your belts just a bit and see how that goes. Assuming your not running your saw hours every day you can probably get by for quite a while with the old belts unless there is still too much vibration.
    As for what kind of belts, my personal opinion is it doesn't make a darned bit of difference. I had link belts on my 54' Uni for a good ten years in almost daily use and didn't notice any premature wear. I only used 2 belts and never had any of the slippage or stretching problems some complain about.
    My other 70's era Uni has v-belts on it that may very well be original? It also runs fine and as old as the belts are they don't give me any problems.
    This is one of those topics that generates a lot of hard opinions, but is really not all that big a deal. Either choice will get the job done. Oh and one other thing....don't tighten the belts too much! It's not like a car alternator where it has to be tight to run. You just want them snug enough to not slip. If you tighten them too much you'll just end up wearing the bearings out quicker.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I recently ordered AX27 replacement belts from McMaster-Carr for my Unisaw. Two of the three were matched, the third was quite a bit longer than the matched ones, and was way too loose when the other two were tensioned properly. I'm not sure how to get a matched set of three belts unless you go pick them out yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. What does it mean to "take a set"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    What does it mean to "take a set"?

it means it gets stiff where it goes around the pulleys...then when you turn it on it viberates
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I put the powertwists on my Uni and they work great. You also know that they are all the same length this way. If you decide not to go with the linkbelsts, I wouldn't bother buying them from Delta...way too expensive. Just get the right ones somewhere else that offers "sets" of them. These are belts that were cut sequentially.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Not to hijack this thread . But what is the average life expectancy of the uni belts. Mine are now 10 years old. Don't have any excessive vibration but now you have me wondering.