Hello, folks.

After a recent craigslist tool score, I'm finally *really* assembling my makeshift shop in a detached, unheated/uncooled two-car garage. I've been reading up a ton on 1.5/2hp dust collection units that should be fine for my hobby-level, low-volume woodworking. My question, however: can I simply route my DC ductwork to a trash can separator, then to a wall-mounted exhaust fan and out the back of the garage? I always work with the garage door open anyway, so losing warm ambient air isn't a concern. I'm also considering a Y in the main duct right at the fan. I'd route this second branch to the center of the garage and use it to pull garage air to the outside to promote constant air exchange. This would obviously be accomplished with a couple of blast gates.

The second question would be the type of fan. There are blower fans, whole-house fans, exhaust fans... and I have no clue what would be optimal for this type of setup and what would be quietest. Whatever I choose, I assume it would need to be baffled to prevent rain, birds and whatever else from entering.

Additionally, I don't believe the neighbors would be a concern. The behind-the-garage neighbor is roughly 80 feet away and I don't foresee fine dust being a nuisance, especially as a hobbyist.

Would appreciate help with this. Thanks!

Zayd