Thread: What is your favorite finish for turnings?

What is your favorite finish for turnings?

well I'm half done my large (For me anyway) 12 x 20 segmented turning and I'm thinking about what to use for the finish. I'm thinking maybe a gloss on this one. What is your favorite finish and the process that you use?

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Can't wait to see how you attached it to the lathe spindle.

Oh yeah, usually lacquer sanding sealer under spray lacquer. On a big piece may use some brushing lacquer, level it, and then spray finish coat(s). Sometimes antique oil on tight grained wood.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 03-11-2009 at 1:14 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

I cut a 4'x 1.75 piece od maple and drilled and tapped it to fit my spindle. glued the pase ring on. seems very solid. So far anyway. I'm going to do the same with the top half and then join the 2 halves together.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

For segmented stuff, I like a gloss finish.
    I use VanAqua 480 water based poly. I put it on with a foam brush ON the lathe with REALLY low rotations, sand and apply, starting at about 320 grit and going up to 600 or higher, then buff.
    Change One Thing

For a high gloss finish I prefer min wax wipe on gloss poly with wet sanding between coats to keep the finish level and all defects out. Some of my larger/taller forms are really troublesome trying to get the entire piece coated before the starting point starts to set up. For the bigger ones I just started using min wax spray poly for the final coat. (because of the drying problem). This presents a whole new set of problems. Gettin enough finish on to give the deep gloss without creating sags. Orange peel can be a problem too. The directions on the can advise you to keep the nozzle back 12" but this realllly creates a lot of orange peel. A distance of 8" works better but that close you can sag the finish quickly. Antique oil also gives a great finish and that can be burned in on the lathe. Just ties up a chuck for a while. For a satin shine I love the effects of Danish Oil. That stuff really penetrates the wood too. I'm interested also in the various methods used and hope for a number of postings....Bill...

Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. I use a 1" sponge brush and saturate the piece for the first coat. Depending on how much it sucks the poly into the wood - I may saturate it again for the second coat as well. After that I use a folded up paper towel and wipe on a light coat. Usually put on 3 or so coats and then touch the turning with a super fine sanding sponge or 600 grit wet/dry paper. After that it is just a matter of how much time you want to put into it and how many coats of poly it takes to get the level of gloss you are after.

By using a folded paper towel and applying very light coats - I do not have any run problems. Another thing when it comes to the wipe-on poly - make sure you use a new can. Once exposed to air the poly starts to thicken up and that will add to your drying time.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Clear gloss - Lacquer, usually deft in a can
    Amber gloss - Arm-R-Seal - super easy wipe on that levels really well
    User bowls/Raw Wood feel amber - Watco Natural buffed
    Clear raw wood - renaissance wax

Well I'll go against the grain, pun intended. I like a soft shine. I use Minwax Antique Oil. Wipe it on off the lathe, depending on the wood sometimes 2 coats, then the 3 Beall buff.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

velvit oil

velvit oil , i saw a turning by Barbara Gill, and that is what she used
    wet sand after first coat, then two more, you can burnish it also

Antique oil or General Finishes. If someone wants a real shiney piece I use Waterlox gloss.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Favorite Finish

Remember Rude Osolnik, bless his soul. Rude's favorite was urethane oil. No, that's not the same as POLYurethane oil. If it was the old expert's favorite, it out to have been mentioned by someone before now.

what do you guys use to wet sand in between coats?

what do you guys use to wet sand in between coats?
    this is not a very good answer, but its about 400 to 600 grit, bought from Packards i believe, i bought about 5 sheets, just ask for wet sanding paper, i still have not run out, i just tear off maybe 2 little strips to use on a turning, with the velvit oil you will raise a little paste that sort of fills in some problem areas that you have not noticed before you put the oil on

i could not believe it the 1st time
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 03-12-2009 at 7:59 AM.