Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Planer used as a Jointer

I'll say that I havent used this tool but question anyone who says that it works well for planing long boards. With a 6in infeed and outfeed table it is just silly to try working a board on this stand when you can clamp the board and just run the plane over the edge.

I may catch some slack for this but I think there is Sometimes, a bit of an elitist attitude put out by festool owners in the sense that anything branded FESTOOL is automatically worth whatever it sells for.

ps

Any reason why this Festool planer could not take the bend in a board. I see a lot of info on hand planners could this not at least start to take off the bow in a piece of edge joined work (IE the problem I have now)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    These are the kind of products that will hurt a good reputation.
    You would be better served and money ahead getting a little benchtop unit.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Although I do not own this tool, I tested it in my own shop a few years ago. While it certainly wouldn't be cost effective to purchase it exclusively for use as a very small jointer for craft-type/size projects--for most people, but there may be exceptions, it is a valid use for the tool. I was skeptical about it when it came out of the back of Uncle Bob's SUV when I got to play with nearly all the Festool products that weekend. After about ten minutes, I was no longer skeptical. This IS, however, a specialty tool that is suitable largely for folks who truly can take advantage of its many features, dust/chip collection, excellent cutting quality and multi-capabilities. And while I'm not someone that could justifiably leverage it enough to make me want to buy one, I have healthy respect for it having, as I said, actually used it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parr View Post
    So lets turn this post on its ear. If I wanted to ask the question would you spend the money on a single use item like a cheap small table top joiner with almost no adjustments or shall I spend probably double on the Festool setup but then have the option to do Door or wide flat sections. If there was a singular purpose here I would say go spend the money on the cheap but since I am trying to build a good base of tools to both do woodworking and work in the house could this tool fit. So lets see if a couple more experieced people aswer this question for me:

What else can a hand planer do? The joiner will be a singular task.
    I have a Bosch hand planer that I've owned for about 15 years. I bought it to fix a poor construction problem, and it really saved my rearend in that regard (saved me lots of time and $$ to redo). So, it earned its money on that job

Since then, it's maybe planed 3 doors that didn't fit well. I could've easily done the same job with a circular saw and straight edge.

Really, I have a hard time recommending this too to any hobbiest (unless you are a door installer). I certainly wouldn't recommend spending $700 on one. It is so seldom used that a normal brand will be fine.

Also, BTW, it takes some skill to use this tool without sniping. It also takes skill to plane a level line. That's just the nature of these kind of tools. I really doubt there's anything Festool could do about this.

I also agree that a benchtop jointer (or a 6" jointer on a mobile base) would be far more useful, give better results, and be less expensive.