Thread: Which Grex?

Which Grex?

Hello All,

I borrowed a 23 gauge pin nailer and I don't know how I lived without it. I am just a hobbiest who makes cabinet and other projects for the house. I'm thinking the P635 that uses 1/2, 1 and 1 3/8 pins is fine at about $200, but I'm curious what others thing and what the heck one would use a 2" pin for! :-)

Thanks,

Dan

I have a P635 & a P650. I have used 2" pins on several remodeling jobs.
    Go with the gun that fits your needs best.

i have the 635 and it works great for cabinet doors. i've heard that the longer 2" brads deflect too easily and i wouldn't try hanging crown molding with it anyways.

I also have the 635 and am extremely pleased with it. The only time I generally use the longer 1 3/8" pins is for installing face frames in situ where I can't use clamps, but having that capability has been valuable to me. It did take a little bit to get used to the double trigger safety setup, but in that respect, it's safer than my other, older pinner, an Accuset.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 650L. Sweet little pinner! I bought it from thefastenerstore.com, which I highly recommend, along with a full assortment of pins. I bought it to make a barn for my daughters toy horses, complete with lap siding, timber frame, and a kind of shingle. It was suprising how well the Grex worked. I have used 2" pins for a stubborn molding on a dresser I just built. They can deflect, but just keep the molding tight against the backer when shooting, and it's not a problem.

As an aside, I did shoot my finger to the barn. My own stupid fault, I was holding a piece tool close to the pinner, and when I pulled the trigger, the pin deflected into my finger. Keep your hands back is the moral of that one.

I would go with the larger 650 just for those rare occasions when you need the extra length. But, if you do mostly small trim work, probably is not necessary. I have the 635 and there have been a few times that I have wished for a 2" capacity for some temporary positioning for a clamping situation.

Haven't shopped the price, but did get a Hartville catalogue yesterday and the "package" with the 650 and 13,000 assorted pins was $308. Steve's source may be better.

I can also affirm that the Grex will do a very nice job of nailing flesh. Nearly painless, but very bloody! And, poplar stains a very nice color with a spash of blood - looks good with a nice coat of shellac over it!

I just bought a Senco that goes to 1" at the local lumber yard for $120, and I keep finding uses for it. I too thought it would not be of much use, but it is kind of a handy little bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

I can also affirm that the Grex will do a very nice job of nailing flesh. Nearly painless, but very bloody! And, poplar stains a very nice color with a spash of blood - looks good with a nice coat of shellac over it!
    Glad to know I'm not the only one John!

One great thing about the source I posted is the service. When you call to place an order, you actually talk to the owner.

Blog Entries
    I use the 635 and it works great as a hobbiest. I don't think I would need anything that can handle a bigger pin.

If you'd consider other brands, I'd suggest Cadex CPB23.35 or CPB23.50 if you need the length. The distinct advantage of these over the Grex or Max is the ability to shoot slight headed pins. Might seem insignificant, but the small "pulling" effect is something I've come to really like.
    I rarely shoot smooth pins anymore, if there's a difference the hole size the slight heads leave is imperceptable to me.
    I'll also make a recommendation for Floyd Tool, been great to deal with and know their stuff.

hobbyist with the P635 and I've used it for several tasks. Haven't yet wished I'd had the 2" version, but I'm sure a pro would. The Grex sure handles well and hasn't given me any troubles at all. A quality item. Would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Don M

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    hobbyist with the P635 and I've used it for several tasks. Haven't yet wished I'd had the 2" version, but I'm sure a pro would. The Grex sure handles well and hasn't given me any troubles at all. A quality item. Would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Don M
    Second (or third or whatever) that.

635 over here...very nice tool and has worked very well for me. I also picked up some stainles steel pins just for kicks...wouldn't you know it, I needed to use them for an outdoor project shortly after the gun arrived!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.