Thread: Door Trim Question - Curved top doors

Door Trim Question - Curved top doors

Hi,

I realize this may not be the best place to ask this question, but I need an answer fairly soon, so I'm atleast hoping to get that here.

I am install some very nice front doors, the doors are 8' tall with a leaded glass transom above the doors, along with curved top sidelights that match the radius of the transom. The entire package is about 11' by 11'.

We'll set the doors tomorrow, and the exterior trim was sent from the manufacturer, so we'll also be installing that as well. The top trim is currently about 2' too wide, in order to allow a custom install.

Now I had planned on installing the top trim and the side pieces with a mitered joint, of approx. 25 degrees (or what ever it works out to, I haven't laid it out) but the home owner thinks that the top trim should have a seat cut and meet the vertical trim with a horizantal joint. I told him that the widths of the cuts on the two pieces will not match. But he insists. Unfortunately the doors were made at a local custom shop, and the owner is away on vacation, so he is no help. The trim is a flat stock profile, so we dont have any detail lines to match up... and I can't find any decent pics on the internet.

Before I discuss this any further with the homeowner, in your opinions, how should the joint between the curved top trim and the vertical sides meet? 25 degree miter or horizantal joint????

Thanks for any help you can offer.

hmmm, by a horizontal joint are you referring to a Biscuit Reinforced Butt Joint?

And what's the width of the curved horizontal member and vertical member?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Savatteri View Post
    hmmm, by a horizontal joint are you referring to a Biscuit Reinforced Butt Joint?

And what's the width of the curved horizontal member and vertical member?

Roger

Either joint would be a butt joint reinforced with biscuits.

Both the curved top and vertical piece are 5.25" in width.