Thread: Pin nailer

Pin nailer

I didn't know what a pin naiker was till I read Dans thread on grex pin nailers. I am about to replace my PC brad nailer. What are the advantages or a pin nailer over a brad nailer? Just the size of the hole to fill I presume. Any other advantages to justify the difference in price?

I bought mine to pin some really small pieces that an 18 gauge brad nailer split really badly. The pinner worked very well to finish the doll house barn that I was siding. Since then, I use it for trim pieces on furniture that needs held into place but is hard to clamp. As you said, the holes are nearly invisible, so filling is usually not required. Basically any of the light duty nailing that you would normally do with an 18 gauge, the pinner will do as well.

One note, pins have no heads, so they will hold something in the position it was when you pulled the trigger, but they will not tighten up a joint. This is not a problem, just something to plan around. It also gives you the ability to remove a pinned piece without tearing up your work too badly. Pins do have less holding power then brads, but when combined with a little glue, they make clamping goofy shaped things a breeze.

Do you need one? Depends on what you build. I don't use mine on most of the furniture work that I do, but on cabinets and toys, they are a great tool.

Herbert, they're great tools that come in handy in very tight situations and on very delicate work. Keep in mind the point that Steve made in regards to them not really tightening up a joint but rather just holding things in place.

We just recently started carrying the Grex gun per one of our new employees recommendations and we've been thrilled with it as have our customers. The quality of construction is second to none and features like the exhaust out the back, auto adjusting magazine, etc. really make it a winner. Also, remember just about every pneumatic company like Bostitch, Porter Cable, Senco, bla bla and so on make a pinner. The Grex will just probably be the last one you ever buy, the quality of build is just phenomenal. Superior driver and IF it does ever need to be replaced it's not as expensive as a driver from a Max gun (Grex and Max are.....very similar guns).

Just remember, no safety tip on the Grex, don't pull the trigger while just hanging round the shop, you'll quickly turn the place into a wild west shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Wallace View Post
    I didn't know what a pin nailer was till I read Dans thread on grex pin nailers. I am about to replace my PC brad nailer. What are the advantages or a pin nailer over a brad nailer? Just the size of the hole to fill I presume. Any other advantages to justify the difference in price?
    I don't think a pin nailer can replace a brad nailer. I only use my pin nailer for things like small mouldings. As others have mentioned a pin nailer does not have the holding power of a brad nailer.

The grex 1 3/8 nailer sells for about $200, but the PC 1" pin nailer sells for $100 and the bostich 1 3/16" nailer has sold for $69 a few times on amazon.

MK

They are complimentary tools. That said, I use a pinner now for some things that I used to use the thicker fasteners, especially if there is risk of visibility. (Built-in installations, etc.) But I'd not give up my brad nailers...nor my 15 gage finish gun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello,
    Just the size of the hole to fill I presume
    The beauty of a 23 ga pin is that, when done right, & there's alot of techique to it, there's nothing to fill and very little to see.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Just got my PC Pinned 15 minutes ago

I purchased it from Took King re-manufactured looks like brand new & works like brand new. $69.99 for the gun & with all the nails 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 1" & shipping & a soft-side bag & an extended 1 year warranty $111.93

I had a Harbor freight $25 pinner worked great for a little over a year & then started giving problems & I round filed it.

Nice thing is I can use up all the rest of my HF nails because they fit this gun.

http://www.toolking.com/products/428...?nextag=PIN100
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Based on reviews, I got my PC pinner a couple of days ago... but haven't used it yet. Looking forward to it though.

I couldn't see spending the money on a Grex for the limited use I think I'll get out of it. Maybe it would make sense if I was using it every day.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Got my 23er from Tool Marts. $60.00 with a rebuild kit. I'd buy it again.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Got my 23er from Tool Marts. $60.00 with a rebuild kit. I'd buy it again.
    Bill
    Thats great what brand is it?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Thanks for all the coments and tips. I can see that I need both. I think I
    will look at HF. have a HF crown stapler That I got for $12.00 2 years ago, and it has worked fine. I f I can get a $25.00 pin nailer to last 2 years. Hmmm 4x25=100, 4x2=8 yrs. 65+8=73 yrs old, That might just see me out, or hopefully I'll get to buy 4 more

Some pin nailers will shoot 23g brads that do have heads on them. Cadex, for example... the hole left in the material is the same size as the headless pin, since it is the driver that leaves the hole in the wood, not just the pin. It gives more holding power, and while it still doesn't replace the 18g, it does help it out. I've used both headless and headed pins on stain grade trim... but both types definitely require glue to help them out.

Save your money don't buy Harbor freight wait & put a few more dollars with it & buy the Porter Cable @$69. When it HF pinner breaks down the $25 is gone its not worth it. Been there done that. Go for the better quality.

I purchased it from Took King re-manufactured looks like brand new & works like brand new. $69.99 for the gun & with all the nails 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 1" & shipping & a soft-side bag & an extended 1 year warranty $111.93
    http://www.toolking.com/products/428...?nextag=PIN100

I am not trying to push you into a more expensive purchase but you are aver 1/3 the way to the cost of the PC & you have to buy pins no matter which pinner you buy & the PC is a much better quality pinner . Please don't make the mistake I did buying the HF pinner.

I got a Bostich pin nailer at a Menard's sale for $49 a year ago. I have come to rely on it for holding small pieces while gluing. I find myself using it to hold a face frame or molding until I can get the clamps on to really snug it up. Since lately everything I am building seems to be painted, I don't even have to fill the holes. The primer and paint does that.
    Wood'N'Scout

They are complimentary tools.
    ......... ditto to what Jim B. said. Micropinners are not a replacement for 18 ga. guns but they are great on delicate work. As for brands I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I've never had much luck with HF but many do. My current PC PIN100 has been excellent. Reliable and sinks the pins below the surface as it should but I do miss the extra length (1 3/16" vs 1" of the PC) of my previous Bostich. Used to do a lot of prestained crown on cabinets and bookcases- the 1" max of the PC isn't enough. Had issues with Bostich- they worked well at first then stopped sinking the pins. ...... caused me a considerable amount of aggravation and lost time. From what I gather they've rectified the issue. If a 1" pin will sufficent I'd go PC for a low cost micropinner. For me a Grex is on my wish list.