Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0691 vs JET XACTASAW Deluxe 708675PK

Grizzly G0691 vs JET XACTASAW Deluxe 708675PK

Another help me decide on my table saw thread!

There are a lot of options out there and I've narrowed down my decision on these two saws.... but can't decide.

Both have...
    Nice riving knifes
    Nice fences

It really comes down to this in my perspective...

Grizzly
    Cheaper by $600
    Good customer service
    Parts readily available

Jet
    Beefier trunnion
    Dust shroud on blade
    5 year warranty

William - I'm a bit prejudiced, because I bought the Deluxe Xacta about a year ago at just about the same price (delivered) that you're going to pay for the Grizzly. I've had absolutely no complaints about it at all. The dust collection is great and it came extremely well dialed-in right out of the box.

That said, given the price increase that I understand Jet has instituted (I also got mine on sale), and the reputation Grizzly has I'd say that this new saw should definitely be given some consideration. I know that I might have gone with the Grizzly given a similar price differential had it been available. I originally tried to buy the G0661, but that has only begun shipping recently. A riving knife was also one of my "must have" features, and at that time the only other riving-knife-equipped saws that Grizzly offered were just too big for my shop.

I couldn't tell from the catalog pages, but if it's like the Jet, it comes with a standard-kerf riving knife that doubles as a support for the blade guard. I had to invest in a thin-kerf riving knife, and when I installed my over-arm blade guard, had to invest again in the low-profile "shark fin" riving knives. Also, on the Jet you have to fork over an additional $40 or so for a dado-friendly blade insert (or make your own).
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

The jet gets my vote, the xacta saw is really a nice saw. I say if you can swing the extra dough go with the jet, you will never regret buying quality tools.

I have the Jet and it's a very well made saw that arrived properly set up. The guard is easy enough to mount and dismount so that I actually use it, and the riving knife was a very important feature. But... like Steve I bought mine last April when there was a Jet rebate plus a deal at Rockler and the price had not been raised. If the net delivered price different is $600 (including shipping, sales tax if any, etc.) and if the guard and riving knife are designed like the Jet's I would lean buy the Grizzly.

IMO, the Jet is worth the extra expense. It will hold its value better, fit and finish better than the Grizzly tools I have seen, and hopefully no shipping nightmares!

William: I do not have the G0691 but rather the G1023SLX which I got used from a professional cabinet shop used. No complants with it at all. Also at work they just bought several new tools for the wood shop. When I seen the table saws I freaked out. All Grizzlys! They could have had any saw on the market. When I asked about the choice I was told that Grizzly could supply any part that was needed within a few days to get the machine up and running. These saws are run most of the day, 5 days a week, so down time to them is important. I do not know how fast other companys can supply all the parts you need, hopefully you will never have to worry about that whatever saw you choose. However, if a Grizzly is good enough for the Naval Construction Battion Center, it is plenty good enough for me. Good Luck and Be Safe!!

A short while ago I was looking into the PM2000 in addition to these two saws. If you look at the pictures of the G0690 which is the same saw as the G0691 except for the shorter extension table, you will notice that the riving knife doesn't appear to raise and lower with the blade. A closer look at the trunnion picture shows that indeed the blade pivots without the riving knife. You will therefore have to remove the riving knife for thru cuts.
    I think the dust collection of the Xacta is also superior to the Grizzly in that vacuum sucks most of the dust away from the blade below the table not allowing it to be thrown above the table, where as you will have to do alot more cleanup with the Grizzley.
    I have the PM2000 and I can notice a big difference in dust handling when the vacuum is turned off.
    One other advantage of the Xacta saw in the blade guard, which happens to be the same as the the PM2000, is a very functional guard- I think you would pleasure using... One other- the table is 2" deeper!

Hope this helps

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Frances View Post
    A short while ago I was looking into the PM2000 in addition to these two saws. If you look at the pictures of the G0690 which is the same saw as the G0691 except for the shorter extension table, you will notice that the riving knife doesn't appear to raise and lower with the blade. A closer look at the trunnion picture shows that indeed the blade pivots without the riving knife. You will therefore have to remove the riving knife for thru cuts.
    That's just not true.

The riving knife raises and lowers with the blade. The mechanism is different than other saws, that is perhaps why you would think otherwise.
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 03-14-2009 at 10:32 AM.

I own an older style JET saw and love it. Wish it had the new riving knife. I used a Shopsmith saw for years and that is one thing I miss on my JET.
    That said if the Grizzly is $600 less I would give it a good long look.
    I think you would be happy with any of the two saws.

In case you don't know the post above this one by Shiraz Balolia is the owner of Grizzly tools.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-13-2009 at 9:27 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Granted, I've never used the Jet, and just got the G0691 a couple weeks ago, but I love this saw. The only adjustment I had to make during assembly the fence was slightly off. I even had an issue with UPS Freight, and Grizzly CS has called me 3 different times in the past two weeks to make sure I wasn't having any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Rayburn View Post
    The only adjustment I had to make during assembly the fence was slightly off.
    While my Jet was perfectly set up w/regard to the table in relation to the blade, some adjustment of the fence was necessary for me too - but this really wasn't unexpected, and with good quality fences it probably takes all of five minutes to get it perfectly squared away.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I'm new to this board but have been woodworking for 30 years. This place is great! Thanks to everyone that responds.

I'm leaning toward the Grizzly. For $600 difference and the CS I think I'm sold. Plus, it just seems like Grizzly is getting to be a better and better company over the years. 15 years ago I wouldn't have consider them, but now it's a different story. I only have one Grizzly piece right now and it's the 2hp cyclone DC. I can't imagine a better machine. They even added the "muffler" later on, probably based on feedback. It took me two years to actually it it installed (not because of the difficulty ) but I had a foam piece that had dried out. Called Grizzly on Monday and had the new piece on Thursday. Out of warranty so I had to pay, but was up and running in no time.

William,

First let me say Welcome to Sawmill Creek and Thank You for becoming a Contributor so early on in you membership, its people like you that make this a great place to be. I'm sure your 30years woodworking experience will benefit many of us in the future.

I have two Grizzly tools, a planer and a jointer and feel they are both great tools, I can't see how you would go wrong with Grizzly. Considering the price difference the choice becomes even easier.

I don't have experience with either saw. The Gizz 691 is supposed to be basically the same as the Laguna Platinum TS.

Laguna has a nice video outlining the saw's features.

http://www.lagunatools.com/tablesaw.platinumlt.aspx

click on videos.

It may help with your decision.

MK

$600 difference. I think if you look around you'll find significantly lower prices. Look at equipmentsalesandsurplus here (Not sure if we can post links or not but I did see the icon to add one, so I am guessing it's OK, mods feel free to remove this if necessary)

http://equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/...&categoryID=25

and Timberline tools for starters. Be sure to call as often times they'll have specials that aren't even listed on their sites. I got a PM2000 and a PM 15HH planer from Timberline and saved almost 1K over the Woodcraft retail prices.

I would go with the Jet myself. I have been significantly happier with the quality of my PM and Jet tools over my Grizzly tools.
    Last edited by John Hedges; 03-14-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: compared the price on the old jet saw