Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0691 vs JET XACTASAW Deluxe 708675PK

I have a jet exact and its great. Other than never getting the mobile base I payed for it has been the only close to perfect machine I have bought.

I can only imagine the Deluxe model would be even better.

Grizzly makes some good products though and a $600 dollar difference is pretty stout.

If you have the extra money I would get the jet exacta DELUXE.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    $600 difference ARE YOU CRAZY?????????????????????????????????.
    snip

John, it doesn't say for sure, but I don't think that one has the riving knife. It doesn't say it is the Deluxe model anywhere on the page. If it is not, then it's not comparing like saws. That saw appears to be closer to the Grizzly 1023 series for comparison purposes.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong here. But I think the price difference quoted for the Jet with the riving knife is pretty close. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    John, it doesn't say for sure, but I don't think that one has the riving knife. It doesn't say it is the Deluxe model anywhere on the page. If it is not, then it's not comparing like saws. That saw appears to be closer to the Grizzly 1023 series for comparison purposes.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong here. But I think the price difference quoted for the Jet with the riving knife is pretty close. Jim.

Jim, your absolutely right, sorry bout that. I would still call, as my point remains the same. You can find deals for significantly less than retail if you shop around a little.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    snip I would still call, as my point remains the same. You can find deals for significantly less than retail if you shop around a little.
    I agree, and shopping is part of the fun of the acquisition!! Sometimes a little patience thrown in helps in finding that best deal as well. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

[quote=Brian Frances;1080889]A short while ago I was looking into the PM2000 in addition to these two saws. If you look at the pictures of the G0690 which is the same saw as the G0691 except for the shorter extension table, you will notice that the riving knife doesn't appear to raise and lower with the blade. A closer look at the trunnion picture shows that indeed the blade pivots without the riving knife. You will therefore have to remove the riving knife for thru cuts.

Shiraz is 100% correct in telling you it "is" a riving knife. It doesn't matter how it is engineered to do it but.... a riving knife moves up and down with the blade and tilts with it also. It is positioned close the to back of the dangerous rear rising teeth and stays in that position regardless of if you raise... lower.. or tilt the blade. That is the diffrence between a riving knife and a splitter.

With that said.. there are two types of riving knives.. tall and short. It you have a tall that stands proud well above the top blade teeth.. you do have to remove it for a non throught cut. If you have a short.. you can leave it on. Each have their pro's and con's. The tall allows you to mount a "crown" guard.. the short won't allow but can stay on the saw during a non-through cut. And a good reason to have both a short and tall.

Sarge..

6. Sarge - To clarify, the G0690/691 uses a true riving knife where the knife remains at the same height in relation to the blade. The G0690/91 use a different method than the one where the whole assembly moves up and down like our other riving knife saws like the G0651 for example.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Heavy...ng-Knife/G0651

If I am not mistaken, the G0690/91 come with both a "tall" and short riving knife. The tall one is more like a splitter to which the blade guard is attached. I will verify on Monday, but that is what I remember seeing on the saw. Obviously we need better descriptions on our web page so that these types of questions can be answered with authority rather than people looking at pictures and making suppositions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 03-14-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Sarge - To clarify, the G0690/691 uses a true riving knife where the knife remains at the same height in relation to the blade. The G0690/91 use a different method than the one where the whole assembly moves up and down like our other riving knife saws like the G0651 for example.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Heavy...ng-Knife/G0651

If I am not mistaken, the G0690/91 come with both a "tall" and short riving knife. The tall one is more like a splitter to which the blade guard is attached. I will verify on Monday, but that is what I remember seeing on the saw. Obviously we need better descriptions on our web page so that these types of questions can be answered with authority rather than people looking at pictures and making suppositions.

Thank you.
    Opps... I will edit this Shiraz, as I missed your first quote. Yes.. we are saying the very same thing in that regardless of how it moves up.. down.. and tilts with the blade.. if it does it is a riving knife. If it doesn't.. it is a splitter. It can perform those task using "unknown alien technology" but regardless. if it does that then it is most definitely a rivng knife and not a splitter which remains at the same height constantly. :>)

If it does have a short and tall version.. that is a plus and you should state that on your site. I prefer the tall as I do make my own "crown" guards to mount on top of a riving knife or splitter. I am from the U.S. but what little formal training I have is from Euro teachers and they both ran "crown" gaurds.

And yes.. many don't quite seem to understand what really is a riving knife and what is not. Nor the fact that riving knives can be short or tall. I have seen many state it sits below the blade. Many Euro manufacturers have riving knife designs that sit above the blade for the simple reason of adding a crown gaurd or an over-head dust collector. This is all new to many as the use of a riving knife here in the U.S. has only taken hold in the past several years as you know.

BTW.. I was hoping to meet you at IWF last fall. I demonstrated machines for Steel City Toolworks at their booth when I was ask by Scott Box to do so. I believe you didn't make the Show last fall from what I picked up from your guys in the booth? So.. maybe at Las Vegas or the next IWF.

Regards...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 03-14-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Shiraz, I can save you the time on Monday to look at it. But if you do look at one, please fondle it for me.
    The G0690 and G0691 both come with true riving knives that are the short version, when mounted sits just below the top edge of the blade's top, so works with non through cuts. It tilts and rises and lowers with the blade. These saws also come with a blade guard/splitter with anti kickback pawls. This also tilts and raises and lowers with the blade, but is always above the top of the blade. The two sides of the guard part move independently of each other, instead of as a unit as most guards do. To see these, look at the G0690 and click on the thumbnails to show the larger pictures. The G0691 only has the one picture for some reason. Jim. (who has a down loaded copy of the G0690/G0691 owner's manual sitting on his computer desk)

edit: If you've watched the Laguna Platinum series video, it is the same, or at least appears to be the same, guard/splitter that Laguna has. The Laguna saw evidently does not come with the short riving knife...at least it is never mentioned during the video.

Apples and oranges I think, John. Good prices but they for the older models without the riving knife. Newer models (708674PK, 708675PK) are considerably more.

I wish grizzly would post more pictures on their website. The go690/1 are very enticing products, but decisions on new products are slowly made. I think the old adage that a picture is worth a 1,000 words is more relevant and perhaps amplified on the net. We just surf through too many pages and are bombarded with too many bits of info. A picture of the riving knife at 45 and 90 and both riving knives would be nice. Also, I like to see some of the components to assess heft and quality.

Grizzly's pictures seem to be very good quality, I think more pictures would help those of us who have never seen their products up close.

2 cents...done

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cooper View Post
    I wish grizzly would post more pictures on their website. The go690/1 are very enticing products, but decisions on new products are slowly made. I think the old adage that a picture is worth a 1,000 words is more relevant and perhaps amplified on the net. We just surf through too many pages and are bombarded with too many bits of info. A picture of the riving knife at 45 and 90 and both riving knives would be nice. Also, I like to see some of the components to assess heft and quality.

Grizzly's pictures seem to be very good quality, I think more pictures would help those of us who have never seen their products up close.

2 cents...done
    Rob - your 2 cents is worth a lot to us. I will instruct our photo studio to get cracking. This machine has become very popular, very quickly.

Jim - I even talk to them when no one is around! After all, I'm a tool/machine nut. Thanks for checking the two riving knives for me.

John T. - I had to miss IWF for the first time in many years. Came down with a really bad case of the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Another help me decide on my table saw thread!

There are a lot of options out there and I've narrowed down my decision on these two saws.... but can't decide.

Both have...
    Nice riving knifes
    Nice fences

It really comes down to this in my perspective...

Grizzly
    Cheaper by $600
    Good customer service
    Parts readily available

Jet
    Beefier trunnion
    Dust shroud on blade
    5 year warranty
    Jet has great cs
    Jet has readily available parts
    and one that grizz doesn't have better resale value