Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curly Pine Pantry Cabinet

Wow Lee

Thats some eye candy. Connie says she wants you to make her one and I agree. Super job.

Terry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Nice looking pantry Lee. That stain gave it a real nice color.

I'm curious about working with wood from HD. Do you still plane and joint it when you bring it home? And if so, what thickness do you end up working with?

Actually this wood was flat and required no millling at all. I used the boards at the thickness they were (3/4") and sanded to 220 before assembly. I did let the wood adjust in my shop for about 2 weeks before I used the wood, but it didn't cup, warp or twist. The #2 pine came from Sweden according to the label on the wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hubba Hubba,

Very Nice Lee
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Lee,
    That's some fine work, I like the stain and finish! Your daughter in law should be very proud.
    Steve

Lee, great job on this one. The pine is stunning - unlike any that I see at my local HD. BTW, are those half-laps on the doors? I couldn't quite tell but it looks like it. If so, why this choice of joinery?

Lee, I am not generally a fan of pine but your pantry looks awesome! Terrific work!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Lee, I like it! It looks very nice, and I'm sure it is.

What do you mean you used a router prior to the tablesaw in rasiing the panels? Did you cut your vertical reveal that defines the edge of the flat field, then make the bevel cut on the TS to remove the waste? If so, I normally make that cut on the TS - one less tool to get out and set up.

Did you screw it to the wall?

Thanks for posting! Todd

Very nice, Lee. I would have never guessed pine either.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Lee, I like it! It looks very nice, and I'm sure it is.

What do you mean you used a router prior to the tablesaw in rasiing the panels? Did you cut your vertical reveal that defines the edge of the flat field, then make the bevel cut on the TS to remove the waste? If so, I normally make that cut on the TS - one less tool to get out and set up.

Did you screw it to the wall?

Thanks for posting! Todd
    Yes, they anchored the cabinet to the wall, though it was pretty stable on its own.

I used to cut the face cuts on panels on my TS, but LOML didn't like the sharp edge it leaves and the little notch where dust accumulates. I use a 3/8" round nose bit in my router and make the face cut with it. This creates a smoother edge and makes it easier to clean. Here's a link that shows how I do it.
    Raised Panels on a TS
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-19-2004 at 11:25 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon

Smile

I'm curious about working with wood from HD. Do you still plane and joint it when you bring it home? And if so, what thickness do you end up working with?[/QUOTE]

I, too, just bought some pine from HD this weekend, intending to get started on making three more pie safes. I'd also like to know what thickness you end up working with. My stock is now acclimating to the shop, as it seemed a bit moist when I selected it. I've had good luck so far with such pine stock from HD, but I'm careful to use only the straight grain portions for rails and stiles. The pie safes won't have any raised panels, however, just punched "tin" panels. There will be solid pine shelves and a top, though. My main concern is that the (4) rail and stile door won't come out true and flat. I have had some trouble with that. Glad to see such nice work done in pine!

Lee
    Very nice - looks great.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA