Thread: Pine burl?

Pine burl?

I found this burl in my wood pile. It had evidently been there for years. I used the easy rougher Ci1 to take off the rough corners. I left the bowl thick because of all the cracks and flaws in the wood.
    I have found it somewhat amusing to read the threads about the Easy Rougher on the AAW forums. Some who have never used it seem quite certain it can't live up to it's billing. I feel it does and would have spent a lot longer with this burl if I didn't have the Easy Rougher.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, that can't be the same piece of wood. You must have switched them out while no one was looking. Whatever you did it sure looks good.
    .........Tony.........

That chunk of wood is sure showing some nice color. Can't wait for the finished piece...Bill...

ditto what tony said. There is no way that is even recognizable. As far as the rougher goes, the rougher looks a lot like a Bedan to me. I haven't use it but I have used the bedan and it works well for roughing and boxes.

Looking pretty good so far! Great color and really nice grain patterns! Looking forward to seeing the completed turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It sure is looking looking good, and I like the form. lets get a pic of the inside of the bowl ya?

it doesnt look like pine, what does it smell like? it looks awsome
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Tom, You have access to woods that us in the north will not see very often. I envy you as I have seen a lot of burls on the pines of the southwest. When I was on an elk hunt in south west Colorado near Pagosa springs I wish I had a way to bring some of the ones I found out with me. But after a 45 min ride on a mule into the mountains I figured on the way out I would be to tired to carry anything but my 5x5 elk! But like Curtis asked do you know what type of tree it is? Most of the pine burls I see up here in WI are on Jackpines and are pretty small.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I am not positive as to the type of wood. I know it came from the Guadalupe Mountains with a load of firewood. There are pinon pine, alligator juniper and one seed juniper trees in the area. The limb the burl was on looked more like pine than one of the junipers. The wood has no smell, but it has been outside in the wood pile for 20+ years.
    The second picture had one coat of MinWax Polly on it.
    I'll post a couple of different before and after pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty stuff!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...