Thread: Miter Saw Choice

Blog Entries

Miter Saw Choice

I have to purchase a new miter saw for my classroom at school. I always make purchases for school with the most quality and value in mind. Currently the school has a 10" SCMS Makita that is no good. I am considering one of the miter saws that was reviewed a few months back in Popular Woodwork, that means a Hitachi or Milwaukee or Dewalt.
    The other thing I am considering is a 10" or 12". Currently the school has about 4 high end 10" crosscut blades. A 12" saw would mean spending more on blades.
    Probably most important ease of use. I have a dewalt 12" at home, love it but it is a beast. I wonder if it is too much for beginners.
    Lastly is max cut width, do you really need the 2 extra inches?

well, you know what they say, "buy the best saw you can afford."
    Dewalt's 12" single bevel comp. miter saw is only $100 more than their 10". I have the Dewalt 12" at my home shop/garage, and I have used the 10" Dewalt numerous times at work. The absolute only thing I like better about the 10" is that it's not quite as heavy and can be carried easier. Now, that's only an advantage if you plan on moving the saw around quite a bit (like at a jobsite). If the saw is going to be stationary, the 12" gets my vote by a landslide. You might not need the extra two inches everyday, but from time to time you can need them.
    Assuming the school can afford it, My opinion would be to spend the extra money and get the 12" and a decent blade. You can try to sell the 10" blades and help the school recoup some of their costs.

I just realized that I have been assuming you do not want a sliding miter saw. Regardless, I would go with the 12" single bevel comp. saw. You can always use a table saw or radial arm saw if you encounter a situation where you might need a sliding miter saw. Personally, I'm not a big fan of sliding miter saws.
    Just my opinion. Hope it helps!

I have a Ridgid 12" miter saw and I'm very happy with it. I came with a blade and laser line. The blade wasn't great but it is accurate and the price was right.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

What is wrong with the Makita?
    Seriously, as a pro saw unless we consider the Kapek, it is unparalleled.
    Maybe , just maybe you might investigate a tune up on the saw.
    I am only speaking from experience, I have beatin the living snot
    out of every MAK I've owned, and not once have I found them wanting.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Well Paul, we have a Dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding compound miter saw in my shop and you're right, the Dewalts are beastly but I love the one we got in the shop. and I'm in high school so it should suit your classroom fine. good luck.

Everyone's going to have their favorite. Mine is the "original" Hitachi 8 1/2" machine. I have found these to be much more rigid than their larger counterparts and the smaller blade is much less prone to deflection. I have also found that with the 12" stroke, there is little this saw will not handle. Yes now and then you might wish you had more capacity but it will not be too often. Plus, this is one of the most portable saws around... compact and lightweight. I should add that my shop is also equipped with a 12" Omga which is in a whole 'nother class....
    David DeCristoforo

Paul, I have the 12" Dewalt slider. I figured the extra capacity would come in handy once or twice a year. I'm glad I didn't go with a 10" because I need that extra capacity at least 15-20 times a year. In a bad way.

Mine came with a pretty decent blade. I bought a CMT for a replacement but have yet to put it on. After 3 years of constant use.

The Dewalt is a good machine, but if I had to buy a different one, I'd go with a Hitachi or Makita.

Good luck with your choice.
    Eric

What about safety?

I am surprised that safety is not one of the top decision makers. I would highly recommend the Bosch 4212L. You can get it for around $400 and it is a belt drive for very smooth operation, has laser guide and an ELECTRIC BRAKE...for instantaneous stopping of the blade to make it safer. I have had mine for over 3 years and only had to change out blades. It came out almost dead perfectly straight out of the box. I would also recommend the Diablo class of blades in whatever tooth count makes sense for what you are cutting. Great blade and stays true throughout its life. I have several and have sent them out for resharpening a couple times each. This ill save the school some money and can help offset the extra cost of the 12" sa and blades. I wish I could start all over in oodshop again knowing what I know now!

Good luck.

Miter saw blades and "crosscut" blades are not necessarily interchangeable. I suspect blade inventory should not be a factor in your decision, unless you already have several miter saw blades.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries

Clarification

All the input has been great thanks. Here is some info on the school's shop and what I am thinking.
    Yes safety is a concern thats why I am worried about the 12". Kickback related issues are the safety problems that have happened most in classes in my experience. Students see the business end of the blade and stay away from it. It is the hidden kickback danger that gets students.
    This is the problem with the makita. I have worked with 3 makita's at 2 different schools all had warped fences, they can not stand up to the student use. I am currently on the second fence with the saw in my room.
    The school has several 10" Diablo carbide blades and better. We also get blades sharpened for free by the county.
    Mobility is a non-issue, this this will be bolted down.
    I am seriously considering a hitachi. Amazon is offering a mail-in-rebate for a free router when you buy a 10" or 12". But this is not my final answer yet.
    Lastly the shop also has a 10" pm66, panel saw, and bandsaws.

In that setting ANY fence is going to be a problem over time. I'd definitely stay away from the 12" saws. There's too much blade deflection to be safe with kiddos at the helm.

Hitatchi gets my vote in either 10" or 8.5" sizes. Since I have had the Makita I do say that it's a better saw, but the fence design isn't as good as the Hitatchi. All that said the makita is more accurate than any other SCMS I have ever used. The only one that cones close is the Hitatchi.