Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planers?

Planers?

I've been searching the site but I think it's hurting as much as helping. I would consider myself a new woodworker. I have a Ridgid TS3660, the Freud $99 router they had on sale recently and that's it for now. I found a local sawmill going out of business. They had hard maple for $1.60/bf, soft maple for $1.40/bf and ash for $1.20/bf, so i bought 200 bf of the maples and 150bf of the ash for no other reason than it was a good price. I had always planed on getting a planer but now I need one for this lumber. I plan on building a router table & using it as a jointer for now to save money and would like to not break the bank with a planer so I guess i looking for advise on the portable planers. Is the TP305 they have on the lowe's site for $239 good enough?

Dave, you don't show your location, but there is a DW 735 for sale in the classified forum - WV location. Just a thought. Search craigslist before buying a new one.

Putting your general location in your profile will be helpful to others that may have some ideas or suggestions.

Sorry, didn't know I didn't have my location. I've been on craigslist quite a bit, I almost had a dewalt 734 for $200 but it sold before I could look at it. Not much else on there right now.

Hi Dave,

I can't speak to the TP305, but there are a lot of happy customers out there with the DeWalt 735, myself included.

You won't be face jointing stock on a router table, The edge, yes.
    You could build a router sled and flatten boards that way, or even use a planer to do it. Others use hand planes. A jointer is really the way to go.
    I have a Dewalt DW735 planer. Try to find one of those on craigslits. Keep looking, but you may have to drive a bit when you find one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If your happy with the TS3660 you might take a look at Rigid's latest planer. I have the previous model and it's worked fine. Never had much snipe. I was looking at the latest one (can't remember the number designation) and they've made some good improvements over the old one - it's a 4 poster and they've beefed up the infeed and outfeed tables. Ridgid's always been rated at the top of their price class.

The only down side is that the older model was loud when planing. Don't know if they've improved that part.

Hey Dave,
    About 1 year ago I was in the exact same position as you, considering the EXACT options...no jointer, no planer, and evaluating router options. I bought a high end Milwaukee router and some nice long straight cutters with the intention of using that as my jointer to save money.

It worked ok, but clearly not getting the results I wanted. I found a bench top Delta 6" jointer on CraigsList for $100. It was one of my best, if not the best purchase. Results are night and day. It does not have the long in/out feeds some stationary models have, but most of the "better" jointers I've used do not put as nice a face on wood as my bench top model with absolutely no snipe. The edge jointing on the router table is not even close. My recommendation......you have to buy a jointer.

I still don't own a planer. $$ is the major issue. I've been able to get amazingly good results with my jointer and bandsaw.....and my back up plan for larger pieces is to use a rounter sled, but I haven't had to do that yet.

good luck.

I have a Ryobi AP1300 (with infeed and outfeed tables). It has cutterhead locks. So far the only drawbacks I've found are noise (it is LOUD) and the high cost and relative scarcity of replacement knives. I limit cut depth to no more than 1/16 inch.

You should be able to pick one up for around $100 used when they become available.

Well, I did alot more research this weekend and thought I was going to get the Grizzley G0689 planer, but then I noticed they don't sell the replacement knives for it! I have no idea who thought that was a good idea. I think I going to look for a dewalt, either the 734 or 735. I was hoping to spend less but I'm worried about finding knives in the future and I figure I should be able to find them for the dewalts.

I have the Ridgid planer. I'm happy with it.

If you're just going to get a planer and not a jointer, you'll need to make a planer sled to face joint with the planer. You can edge joint with the router table, but not face joint. BIG difference there!

You can do fine without a jointer, but you'll really see how much more efficient a jointer is rather than a planer sled once you have one. And for that much lumber, I would think it would be worth it to find a used jointer.

Good luck!

P.S. I have a Dewalt 734 and it has done very well for me. And I would think you could get replacement knives for the Grizzly planer from somewhere like Holbren.

If you are looking at the Dewalt, you might want to check out Steelcity's new 13" portable helical head for $599.00. I'm saving money to by that planer right now.

The planer is not on there product page yet but it is on a sneak peak link on the front page of there website.

You can easily do without jointing the edges of boards cut on a tablesaw which has a decent blade set at 90 degrees to the table.

I've been very happy with my Ridgid R4330 Planer. I also have the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer and have been very happy with it as well. Having one or the other is good, but having both is fantastic.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Ive had a delta 13" for around 5 yrs now. Its always been good to me.
    We have but one chance at every moment that passes by.