Thread: Protecting Hand Tools Question?

Protecting Hand Tools Question?

What would be a good way of protecting well made wood and metal hand tools. Bridge city tools advertise a Boeshield T9 Aerosol. Has anyone used this product? How does it compare with Camellia Oil?
    Thanks in advance.

I live in a high humidity/high pollution/hot weather climate. I am about 5 miles from the ocean, so I don't think salt is a big factor. The dust, however, seems to be highly corrosive.

Rust is a huge problem for me. You can use desiccants like Silica Gel (look in the Lee Valley site), camellia oil is good. WD-40 is reasonably good for some things. Wax and Beeswax are handy. I am going to try the little emitters that are supposed to prevent rust in your tool cabinet.

Basically, I have to do about everything possible and still have to sharpen often.

For most people camellia oil along with some appropriate waxing and an occasional squirt of WD-40 would probably be fine.

Like Chris Schwarz, I keep a "Woobie". It's simply a rag that has just about every lubricant in my shop sprayed on it at some point. Camelia oil, WD-40, 3-in-1 you name it, it's on it. I just wipe off my hand tools after I use them.
    Even though I'm in Florida, which is also a high humidity environment, I have no problems with rust.

Good evening,
    For me, i tryed camelia oil, wax, boeshield,WD-40 and for me a rag in a jar of past wax, work the best!
    David

Thanks for the replies. I have paste wax sold by Bridge city tools. I would be using that for now. Although, I believe the Boeshield Spray would be able to reach places where paste wax would not. I am already using Silica Gel for minimizing moisture around the tools. Perhaps I am being overly protective but it can be a shame to tarnish or damage high quality tools which serve us so well.
    Shekhar.

Boesheild has worked awesome for me.

I've sprayed alot of my nicer tools that pretty much live in my truck. I've been using the spray for a couple of years, and I've seen no oxidization on any of them, best part is that I've never seen any residue left on any wood or finish that I've used the tools on.