Thread: First sold project

First sold project

This cabinet is a twist on the WoodSmith plan. With pay cuts, I thought it was time to see if I could make some money with my hobby. Material was $200.00, time 13 hours and sold for $500.00. I think I can get more for it, but had to get my name out there. Based on the staining process, three different colors to get the desiered tone, should have charged more. Comments welcome, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work! I like it.
    I never know how much to charge...I always feel like I'm overcharging, when in the back of my head I know that I'm not charging enough.
    It bends my mind into a pretzel

Blog Entries
    Nice looking cabinet and I'm glad somebody is making some money.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work Gerald. I would like to see the front but.. I have a feeliing there wasn't room to stand over there to get one in the shop. I often am limited with a picture I can take simply because something is where I need to be with the camera to get it from a certain angle.

Good luck with sales and yeah.. you probably should have charged more as the finish seems to be the large time element. Dry and cure times cost you money when you are for hire.

Sarge..

Was this a commissioned piece? How did you sell it otherwise? Ad, flea market? I have often wondered how to sell pieces that may not have been commissioned or if a commission bails.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

Yes you should have sold it for more, now we are all going to have to charge $450 to get any sales it is just tariible. LOL Your work is gorgous.

It was for a coworker. I had made one similar for my daughters toys, and showed pictures around. Starting out, I gave him a deal. Delivered it to work this morning and the potential customers are starting to line up.

You could just build somthing and stick it in the back of your truck, park in area where people can walk by and ask questions. It seems to be working for me.

So, what would you have sold it for? I was thinking in the price range of 700 to 800.

Gerald; you might already have your answer as to price. Consider the first as your prototype and increase the cost with variations and time involved. Very nice work and if you are comfortable with what you received as payment, line them up at $500 a pop. Congrats!!!!
    Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day and night.

Nice looking piece. I'm not good at pricing work. I always seem to be low.

Tony

Blog Entries
    I think it looks great. You should estimate your labor at $50.00 per hr. for quality like this. Nice job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.