View Poll Results: How aften do you drain your compressor?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • After each use or day.

78 30.95%
  • Weekly.

13 5.16%
  • When I think of it.

138 54.76%
  • I'm supposed to drain it?

23 9.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, do you drain your compressor.

I drain my after ea. daily use.

On my old compressor, I neglected to do so & eventually pin hole rust ate through the tank in numerous locations.

When I pruchased the new unit, I replaced the OEM drain w/ an elbow, a short extension & valve so I don't need to reach under the tank to drain it.

I installed an automatic drainer kit.

[quote=On that note it's made me curious as to how many folks actually drain the tanks of the moisture after the recommended each use.[/quote]

I learned about Harbor Freight's Compressor Drainer Kit (Model 46960) from a previous thread on SMC. I've had one installed on my 60 gallon compressor in the garage for more than a year now. I just bought a second kit (15% discount coupon) for my pancake compressor.

The kit works well, automatically opening and closing the drain valve whenever the compressor sensor switch opens. I did modify it by replacing the included plastic tubing with more durable copper tubing.

-- Phil

Tank explosions are very potent indeed. Western Nebraska is pretty close to a desert from a humidity standpoint, but I have seen the damage of an exploding tank firsthand.

My Dad was using a smaller portable compressor, maybe ten years old on one of the ranches that he worked on. The tank ruptured on the side away from him, causing the compressor to fly about ten feet and hit his ankle. It broke his foot, and he was on crutches for months.

The compressor tank was rusty, and you could see that it had split where the rust had started to deteriorate the thickness of the tank. This was maybe a 5 gallon tank, just imagine how bad a 60 gallon or so could have been.

There is a huge amount of potential energy in a compressor tank, drain the water out of the tanks regularly!

Update

I just cracked the valve on my compressor after about 3.5 years. (I'm pretty sure I opened the drain valve just before I last moved my household.) At any rate: Hiiiisssssssss, but other than a lot of air: zero, zip, nothing, bupkis! New Hampshire: LIVE FREE AND DRY!
    Last edited by John Messinger; 03-16-2009 at 6:46 PM.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

My tank has a auto-drain system [that I installed].
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    None of the above.

I installed an ADV - Automatic Drain Valve that I cycle on whenever I'm using air.
    I absolutely love it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Brian,
    I am ashamed to say that I have *never* drained the tank on my sears compressor since I bought it in the mid 60's. I have painted several cars, and powered air tools for 40 years. Recently, I have been considering replacing it - simply because I am getting concerned over the tank integrity.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have an automatic drain from HF that drains each time the compressor stops, but it sits for days on end and still builds up condensation. So when I think of it I drain it extra. Even with the auto-drain, there's still some water in the tank.

I'm one of the drain it when I think of it guys. When we lived in San Diego we had frequent bouts with the marine layer and I always found water in the tank when I checked it. Now that we are in Colorado we have finally gotten rid of the mold, tarnish and pitting on all our stuff. And guess what, my compressor accumulates virtually no water.

I think I'll find one of those automatic valves anyway. Thanks for the tip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Ed Brady
    Colorado Springs

"If You're Lucky Enough to Live in the Mountains, You're Lucky Enough"

HF Drain

I use the HF drain also. It makes water every time the compressor comes on (Florida). The water is always crystal clear. Before I had the HF valve, I used to drain manually every day (mostly) that I went to the shop.

I can't think of a reason to let all the air out of the tank on a regular basis. This would just introduce more moisture into the tank. (It only gets moisture when you pump more moisture-laden air into it.)

In two years' operation it finally got to where the valve drained continuously, so I took it apart and replaced the O-rings. Also, while apart, I noticed that the actuator piston had a tendency to get cocked a little and not seat properly. I chucked it into a rotary tool and relieved the edge a little so it would slip into the seat even if a little cocked. SFSG.

For those of you that are curious, the valve is actuated by the "Unloader" pressure that cycles each time the compressor starts. You have to tee (supplied) a piece of tubing (supplied) from the unloader circuit near the switch to the valve at the bottom.

Art

There are people who eventually get surprised when their tanks get so full that they get a stream of rusty water instead of air.

Seriously,I have taught my wife and her work force to drain their compressors at the end of each day. We don't want any on the job injuries in our business.

Those noisy compressors had been a pain for years.I was always looking for a better one,but the Junn aire(sp?) ones for artists or hospitals used to be over $1400.00. No telling what they are now. I didn't want to sink that much into them. I got them a Thomas air compressor,which was a little quieter,but still loud.

A few years ago I came across a pair of the Jun Aire compressors for about $300.00 each,used. I bought both of them. They run as quiet as a refrigerator. With conversation,it's hard to tell when they come on.

These compressors must be kept in good condition,so they regularly check the oil,and drain daily. The workers only use compressed air to toot out jewelry and clean it,but the noise problem has been solved,if we can keep them running.

BY THE WAY,air compressor tanks have a life expectance of something like 7 YEARS.Did you all know that? Our old JunAires are 1986 and 1992. Their tanks still show no trace of rusty water when drained. The factory says they are not coated inside,though. But,bear this info about tank life in mind when you buy a used compressor. I knew the history of these 2 compressors. They were used in a picture framing shop to drive brad guns,so had an easy life,and were maintained. They are also extremely over built.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-16-2009 at 10:58 PM.

12. Drain it every use.

Auto drain kit on 60 gal. I/R vertical. Valve powered by compressor power so it cycles every 20 minutes for 5 seconds (programmable). It's so dry here I never see any condensate come out. Same with my portable job site unit.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I drain mine about once a month. It usually has about 3-4 oz of water in it. It is a 60 gallon tank.

Those auto drain things are cool.

I have a small 4 gallon hitachi compressor that has the dual tanks. I drain both tanks after every use and leave the drain valves open. I don't know if I should close it or not, so I just leave it open.

Then I have this 33 gallon Coleman upright.

I bought it from a retired guy and when I opened the drain valve, about an ounce of rusty water came out.

I replaced the drain valve cause the "T" handle was bent.

I only use the 33 gallon coleman if I have to use air tools for the day or maybe a big project. I empty the tank and drain it at the end.

Again, I wish I could comfortably store the compressor pressurized and have an auto drain feature with a "lined" tank.

Both my compressors are loud. I may build a box for the coleman compressor and an elbow and ball valve to drain/purge the compressor outside the box.