Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy a pattern bit?

where to buy a pattern bit?

I can't find a 1/2" diameter ,1" cutting height pattern bit with a 1/2" shank. The ones I keep finding all have 1/4" shanks.

Eagle does have one but they want $7 just for shipping.

any suggestions.

This for the router plate? With the bearing at the top?

How you gonna get a 1/2" bearing over a 1/2" shank? ;-)

As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2" shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!

You must rethink your method or get a 1/4" collet.

I recently routed out ~50 parts for a long bench seating item for a restaurant...each piece was about 8 LF of routing...I used a 1/4" shank 1/2" bit as you describe....the bit didn't break (if that is your worry) and was a tad dull at the end (which to me means the bit is quite strong with that 1/4" shank)

I bought a 3/4" diameter by 1 1/2" cutter length Woodline pattern bit with a 1/2" shank at the recent WW show in Atlanta. I don't remember what it cost but it was less than $20.
    I expect all of the router bit mfrs make a 1/2" flush trim bit with a 1/2" shank, if you can use that in lieu of a pattern bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    This for the router plate? With the bearing at the top?

How you gonna get a 1/2" bearing over a 1/2" shank? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2" shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!

You must rethink your method or get a 1/4" collet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pyron View Post
    I recently routed out ~50 parts for a long bench seating item for a restaurant...each piece was about 8 LF of routing...I used a 1/4" shank 1/2" bit as you describe....the bit didn't break (if that is your worry) and was a tad dull at the end (which to me means the bit is quite strong with that 1/4" shank)
    I thought the part of the shank that would have the bearing would have been narrowed to except the bearing. I see no reason why that couldn't be done but I see now that it hasn't been done. The one i looked up earlier from eagle was actually a flush trim bit.

I had no worry that the 1/4" shank would break or even flex for that matter its just that I have a 1/2" collet and when I looked up the price of a 1/4" collet for my hitachi mv12 it was over $30.

Guess I'm just out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    ...its just that I have a 1/2" collet and when I looked up the price of a 1/4" collet for my hitachi mv12 it was over $30.

Guess I'm just out of luck.
    If you don't want to spend the money for a 1/4" collet that you might not use much, perhaps it would be better to buy a trim router, with a 1/4" collet. A trim router is great to have in your tool collection. It would be more money, but then you would have a second, small router.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

8. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn;[B
    1083652]As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2"[/b] shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!
    Actually that does werkie and you can certainly get that bit, but it's not a pattern bit, it's a flush trim bit with bottom bearing. I think we're mixing up terminology a little.

Bits referred to as pattern bits have the guide above the cutter(sometimes you'll see a bit called a pattern bit with guides above and below the cutter) but I don't think you'll find a 1/2 inch shank/ 1/2 cutter pattern bit. The 1/2" pattern bit you will find in your 1" length usually has a 3/4' diameter, and why not use that?

Also, why do you object to the $7 shipping, doesn't sound out of line to me.

Keith.

I use Whiteside, and they have all sizes in stock a Ballew Saw and Tool. If you are not cutting small radius circles, invest in a large diameter bearing over Whiteside, you will not be sorry. I have them up to an 1 1/2" inches, and I always try to use 1/2 in shank when at all possible. You willl not believe the quality of cut you will get with these large Whitesides over what small diameter pattern bits will give. these bits will cut an amazing amount of material before they become too dull.

For small ones I slip a bearing on a 1/4" straight bit with a collar because I don't need them much. Its not often that I trim a less than 1" radius.

Larry, I notice that many creekers recommend Holbren for Whiteside bits - 10% discount with the SMC10 code. Not sure how that compares to your source.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    If you don't want to spend the money for a 1/4" collet that you might not use much, perhaps it would be better to buy a trim router, with a 1/4" collet. A trim router is great to have in your tool collection. It would be more money, but then you would have a second, small router.
    I was thinking of buying one the other day. HF had one on sale for under $30. It's not the type of tool I would normally buy from them but I figured I wouldn't be using it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I was thinking of buying one the other day. HF had one on sale for under $30. It's not the type of tool I would normally buy from them but I figured I wouldn't be using it that much.
    I recommend the trim router from Grizzly if you don't want to break the bank.

However, for pattern work, I don't know that a trim router is the best choice unless you put a wider base plate on it. Also, the trim routers don't plunge, so adjusting for depth isn't as easy as the better full size plunge bases.

I say just use the 1/4" shank bit in yr regular router. I've had decent luck with bits from MLCSWoodworking, where the shipping is free. You'll notice the diff between good & bad bits on end grain when the bit starts to dull, but if you don't use it that often, it'll serve fine.

Look at this for some more info.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...outerplate.pdf

Also, look at collet adapters 1/4", 8mm. I use them a lot.

Don't downsize, UPSIZE

$130 from William Ng, contact him to order one.

Pic from The Wood Whisperer's 6 Days of Aurora - Day 3.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

That thing scares me a little bit.