Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assembly table?

Not in the same class as Alan's table, but mine is really easy to make. Solid core, scratch & dent ext door from Lowe's ($30.00) over an old cabinet base (free) and $45.00 in castors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I built a torsion box assembly table that is 4' x 7' and added adjustable legs of my own design. If my editor ever gets on the ball, an article on it may appear in a national WW magazine someday.

Nice design. Are the slots in the legs dovetail grooves?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    Nice design. Are the slots in the legs dovetail grooves?
    Yup, big sliding dovetails.

Space will come into play probably so... and unless you build the same thing over and over.. I personally think you have to compromise on size due to space if that is a problem and build as large as you can. I have a 30" x 44" permanent table.. a 48" x 60" permanent.. two fold down portables from Sam's Club around 24" x 60" and as smaller 22" x 48" fold down as they can be stood on a wall when not in use.

At the moment I have both wooden assemblies in action along with one of the larger fold downs and will probably have to go to the second fold down today as I have two projects working at once. But.. fortunately I do have the space which you may very well not.

Good luck...

Sarge..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZygu...eature=related

What about something like this
    Jeff

I made this one out of plywood with an MDF torsion box top, it's 4'x8'. It doubles as an outfeed table and is about the same height as my tablesaw, 36"+/-. My garage floor is not very level either, so I added levelers on each leg, as well as casters to move it, it's kind of a beast. I mortised in one of those Kreg clamp plates, but T-tracks would be kind of nice. I hope to add some drawers & cabinets to the bottom at some point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott Schwake; 03-19-2009 at 9:36 PM. Reason: spelling

My assembly is two Festool Multifunction Tables (MFT) fastened together for a work surface of 46" x 60". This setup, while expensive, offers a lot of versatility. It is an assembly table, clamping table, cutting table and utility/workbench. I seldom need any other work surface, but then again I don't do hand planing.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Scott, your table is really close to what I was going for. I really like the way that you did the casters and leg levelers. I was wanting to do something with t tracks and clamps, since I do a lot of pocket holes and face frames. The clamp that you had, will it work in a standard t track or does it need to be a Kregg track.

Could you take a picture with the casters down, how do they lock? Any problems moving it around and the levelers, they seem small for the weight any problems there?

It is a Kreg brand clamp, not really sure about it working in a standard t-track, seems like I've seen other posts about t-tracks vs Kreg tracks here on the forum, you could try a search.

The casters are mounted on 2x4's that are attached to the base with hinges and lift the entire table off the floor when I engage them. First, I step the shorter 2x/caster down (the one on the left) and lock it in place with a sliding block fastened on the bottom of the 2x. Then I step the other 2x/caster down, and lock the 2x's together with a cheap sliding door lock I found at H Depot.

No problems moving it around unless I hit an extension cord or something like that, rolls pretty smoothly.

The levelers I used are from Rockler and are rated for 600lbs each, they seem solid.

Shawn, here's what I did. The table is essentially 4'X6' with a 4'X4' torsion box underneath. I just finished drilling the holes in the overhang portions that allow me to use a variety of clamps. I routed a groove in the front apron to allow me to do the same thing there as well. As you can tell from the pics I'm in the same boat as you...two car garage and everything has to be on wheels. I'd caution against just having a flat surface and nothing else. I did that for a while and even though it serve it's purpose it was very one dimensional. The bench dog/clamping holes and groove and greatly expanded what I can do with this table/bench now. BTW, don't skip on the castors, it's not worth the headache.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russell, that is a nice table I think I will take your advice and incorporate the bench dogs into my table but with t tracks as well.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    These are old heavy flat kitchen table tops,the green one is a little low but it depends on what I'm working on. Make sure you put wheels on it.

JEFF

Heres a pic of mine. This is from the wood whisperer Marc Spagnuolo.
    This is from the video titled "Somebody feed me."
    Very happy with it and I use it as an assembly and outfeed table.
    Made of 3/4" ply.

Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

4x4 & 3x7 here. The 3x7 on wheels is the more useful one.